IGNORED

So I'm sitting in my car with a buddy at 4am at Bethpage Black.

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 2725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bethpage, everyone should play it at least once. I drove down from the boston area, arrived at 3;00am, got out in the first group. I was playing well at the time. low single digit.  I shot well with a score of 85. I had two birdies, hole 1 and hole 18, Toughest hole for me was #4 and # 15

as I walking late in the rounds I realized that certain clubs that I always seemed to hit, I wasn't at all. It seemed like every hole I was hitting long iron, hybrid or fairway into.I enjoyed it.

#4 was a bitch and Id play it completely differently now knowing about the three tiers. #15 was a heck of a hole because I didnt hit a good tee shot (probably my worst of the day) yet it was my favorite hole. Thats a bitch of a par 4 and really shows you how good these guys on tour are.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

#4 was a bitch and Id play it completely differently now knowing about the three tiers. #15 was a heck of a hole because I didnt hit a good tee shot (probably my worst of the day) yet it was my favorite hole. Thats a bitch of a par 4 and really shows you how good these guys on tour are.

I definitely would not have gone for the fourth green in two if I could do it again. Those grenade bunkers were not fun. On 15 I hit a pretty poor drive down the left side, hit a 5 iron to the back of the green out of a good lie, and three-putted for bogey. 5 iron is the club I found myself hitting much more than usual.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 1 year later...

I am headed back to Bethpage next Thursday 9/29 if anyone would like to meet up and play the black course?

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

6 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I am headed back to Bethpage next Thursday 9/29 if anyone would like to meet up and play the black course?

Thats good time to go. You can practically walk on to the black course during the week. Friday-Sunday is when it gets annoying there. But dont sleep on the other courses there. The Red is my favorite course there TBH. Heck, play em both if you get off the black early enough. 

Id love to play it now, especially since it wasn't in good shape when i played it a couple months ago. But i cant make it out there that day. 

Oh, and always go for the 4th green in two if you manage to drive it up in front of the hill, lol. Just aim a little right of the big trap on the right to give yourself some margin of error. It an easy pitch to most of the pins on that green from over there. 

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

8 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Oh, and always go for the 4th green in two if you manage to drive it up in front of the hill, lol. Just aim a little right of the big trap on the right to give yourself some margin of error. It an easy pitch to most of the pins on that green from over there. 

I tried that and wound up in the middle of that massive bunker. Next time I'll know better where to aim.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I don't think I'll sleep in the car like last time....but I will plan to be there by 5:30am. Worst case I tee off before noon. Last time we got there at 4 on a Wednesday and we were the first group off. I've got all day to kill so no time constraints. 

Kyle Paulhus

3 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I don't think I'll sleep in the car like last time....but I will plan to be there by 5:30am. Worst case I tee off before noon. Last time we got there at 4 on a Wednesday and we were the first group off. I've got all day to kill so no time constraints. 

On a Thursday morning? Im guessing you'll be off before 8am even if there are people waiting for times. If its just a two-some you might even get on earlier. 

6 minutes ago, jamo said:

I tried that and wound up in the middle of that massive bunker. Next time I'll know better where to aim.

Yeah, i see people miss-aim that shot a lot. Its totally blind so its easy to do. But really, even over that green isnt too bad as long as it doesn't reach that gnarly crap. You can pitch it up into the bank and get to a lot of the pins on that green for easy birdies. 

Course looks great. Next time I'm in NY I should really go since I have a connection there to sign me in for a tee time. 

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

43 minutes ago, Psyber said:

Course looks great. Next time I'm in NY I should really go since I have a connection there to sign me in for a tee time. 

You don't really need a connection, per sea. Anyone can make a tee time over the phone if youre persistant. If you're willing to wait until the afternoon to play, you can practically walk on the black course without a tee-time. I play there 5-10 times a year and never make a tee time unless I'm playing with a group. 

3 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

Thanks for the invite but I am leaving for vacation the following night and can't take any more days off.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

So I got out and played today. You guys in the NY area know how the weather was, 12mph winds and 60*. I didnt realize fall literally happened right after Labor Day up here haha. 

I showed up at 6:30 and teed off in the 3rd group of the day at 8:39.My group had two older gentlemen so we played the white tees this time, but still a stout 6704 yards 74/145 rating. I started off well hitting the first two greens and this was also my first round with my new Edel putter. I was told the first 100 putts or so will take some getting used to, but man it feels really good to aim a putt where I want it and have it go right there, whether I over read it or not, it went where I told it to. 

I made a dumb mistake on #4 and hit my bunker shot way over the green and ended up with my only double of the day. Felt like it would be a bogey golf day with a 42 on the front. Came out firing on the back 9 with a birdie on 14 and ended up hitting 7 GIR and shooting a 3 over 38. Finished with an 80, which kinda stunk because I hit a pretty poor drive on 18 and made bogey. 

Happy to get back up here and play Bethpage again. Its cool to benchmark yourself the second time you play a course. Would do it all again tomorrow if I could.

• Upvote 3

Kyle Paulhus

@6ixman it was $130. I don't get a caddy because it's not too bad of a walk and the caddies "services" aren't worth the extra $80+tip

Kyle Paulhus

Also, as the 3rd foursome off we played in 4:15

Kyle Paulhus

Note: This thread is 2725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!