IGNORED

Sony's latest Cyber-shot cameras offer intensely high frame rate

Note: This thread is 3183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's a sample of 960fps and 480 below. If it can only do it for 2 seconds, I guess that's just enough for a golf swing, but you need someone to video you and time it just right.

Quote:
Both cameras are capable of shooting at high frame rates -- up to 960 frames per second for 2 seconds, allowing you to capture slow motion shots of things happening Mythbuster-style. They also shoot 4K video.

http://www.cnet.com/news/sonys-cyber-shot-rx100-iv-and-rx10-ii-to-hit-australia-and-asia-this-month/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That took forever to watch :-P Seems excessive, but then again, I'd use it if I had it. Looks cool, especially if 960 is good enough to do close up shots of impact and stuff like that. The 2 second thing can be overcome with a remote if they have that capability.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Yeah I can imagine it would be easy to overcome the 2 second issue with a remote. I would definitely use it. On a side not, is it just me or does the guy on the bottom have a hell of a swing.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator

We have the RX10 II coming.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8964627573/fully-stacked-hands-on-with-sony-s-rx100-iv-and-rx10-ii?slide=7

Quote:

The high frame-rate movie modes on the RX100 IV and RX10 II are taken from lower pixel-count readout and upsampled; however, depending on the frame rate you choose, they may not be upsampled by much. The high frame rate (HFR) modes have two options: quality priority or shoot time priority (which roughly halves the capture resolution, to allow the camera to shoot for longer before filling its buffer). The frame rates offered are in multiples of 24 or 25fps, depending on whether you shoot NTSC or PAL.

In Quality Priority mode, 960/1000fps mode yields only 1136 x 384 pixel capture, with 480/500fps made from 1676 x 566 pixels and 240/250fps upscaled only slightly from 1824 x 1026 capture.

That's nearly Full HD at 240fps. Impressive.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[COLOR=FFFFFF][COLOR=000000]We have the RX10 II coming.[/COLOR][/COLOR] [URL=http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8964627573/fully-stacked-hands-on-with-sony-s-rx100-iv-and-rx10-ii?slide=7]http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8964627573/fully-stacked-hands-on-with-sony-s-rx100-iv-and-rx10-ii?slide=7[/URL]

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Michael

Yikes they are pricey. The "cheap" one is $950.

$950!?! I guess I'll put it on my Amazon You Wish list ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

[quote name="inthecup" url="/t/83099/sonys-latest-cyber-shot-cameras-offer-intensely-high-frame-rate#post_1166503"]Yikes they are pricey. The "cheap" one is $950.

$950!?! I guess I'll put it on my Amazon You Wish list ;-)[/quote] Yeah, but maybe it's a harbinger of future cameras to come. Price eventually will drop. Glad someone is picking up the high fps mantle. I remember paying over $500 for 3.1 megapixels.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Yeah, but maybe it's a harbinger of future cameras to come. Price eventually will drop. Glad someone is picking up the high fps mantle. I remember paying over $500 for 3.1 megapixels.

I'm sure we'll see this framerate in the iPhone 8 when it comes out, haha.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, but maybe it's a harbinger of future cameras to come. Price eventually will drop. Glad someone is picking up the high fps mantle. I remember paying over $500 for 3.1 megapixels.

Yea, but I'm doubtful. High speed cameras are a bit of a niche thing. It's not like megapixels where a large number of consumers would benefit from the technology. Even amongst all of us golf enthusiasts, only a small percentage record our swings. An even smaller percentage use high speed recordings.

There just aren't that many "regular" uses of 960 fps that I can think of and certainly not enough to get companies to make more of their cameras high speed capable, which is what needs to happen for the tech getting significantly cheaper. It's not like it's new tech or anything that everyone in the market is going to jump all over. I still see it more of a specialty where select companies will create a line of products that include it, like how Casio had 300fps or whatever for a time.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Notice how the club shaft oscillated after impact? That's cool.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/83099/sonys-latest-cyber-shot-cameras-offer-intensely-high-frame-rate/0_30#post_1166516"] Yeah, but maybe it's a harbinger of future cameras to come. Price eventually will drop. Glad someone is picking up the high fps mantle. I remember paying over $500 for 3.1 megapixels.[/QUOTE] Yea, but I'm doubtful. High speed cameras are a bit of a niche thing. It's not like megapixels where a large number of consumers would benefit from the technology. Even amongst all of us golf enthusiasts, only a small percentage record our swings. An even smaller percentage use high speed recordings. There just aren't that many "regular" uses of 960 fps that I can think of and certainly not enough to get companies to make more of their cameras high speed capable, which is what needs to happen for the tech getting significantly cheaper. It's not like it's new tech or anything that everyone in the market is going to jump all over. I still see it more of a specialty where select companies will create a line of products that include it, like how Casio had 300fps or whatever for a time.

Yeah, I'm not going to buy this but it's still good to see new high fps cameras coming out. Hopefully more cameras will have 120 fps that work good in low light with features like remote start - that's more mass market. Plus coaches in other sports use high fps too. I think running to see foot strike. Probably pro bb, fb, tennis?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.mytpi.com/articles/technology/sony_launches_the_rx100_iv_the_rx10_ii Hope you're right Tiitlest folks. [QUOTE]Quote: Sony’s newest imaging technology is poised to put that kind of quality in your pocket. Sony’s imaging sensors extend far beyond its camera lineup. Some of the biggest names in tech use Sony sensors: The iPhone 6 camera has a Sony sensor, as does the Samsung Galaxy S6, Nikon DSLRs, and Olympus mirror less cameras. The bigger takeaway is that Sony’s technology often filters down throughout their product line and that means that it won’t be long before their sensors show up in anything that has a camera in it, including your phone.[/QUOTE]

Steve

• Administrator

http://www.mytpi.com/articles/technology/sony_launches_the_rx100_iv_the_rx10_ii

I have this camera. It should have arrived today but now I'll have to get it on Monday since the UPS guy just stuck a door tag on the door (he was behind in his deliveries, I think?) and didn't ring the doorbell… :(

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's nice to have the higher fps. My pet peeve is low light conditions. Would like to see even better performance in conditions like bubble ranges or indoor simulator areas. Or even at night outside.

Steve

Yeah I can imagine it would be easy to overcome the 2 second issue with a remote. I would definitely use it. On a side not, is it just me or does the guy on the bottom have a hell of a swing.

I agree. That dude can swing a golf club. Wish my swing looked like that.

• Administrator

FWIW B&H; shipped my package with a physical signature required (I cannot even send someone to get it). They attempted to delivery very late in the evening when I was at my soccer game. Long story short: I won't be getting it until Friday (Thursday night). :-P

OK, couldn't resist doing this, sprach Zarathustra totally changes the mood of the video. Music inspires, elevates and moves the spirit.

Steve

Note: This thread is 3183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!