IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nobody said anything like that.  You let the faster players go through to avoid any risk of frustrating them to the point of maybe doing something stupid.

And even more so because you're a sensible human being who understands and embraces the principles of etiquette and respect for other players that the game of golf espouses.  It shouldn't require a threat to show such respect.

Exactly, it's the same reason why people who insist on driving 55 in the left lane get the finger, cursed and beeped at.  If you see you're holding up traffic, move over and let people through rather than be a pompous ass that believes you are going fast enough.

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Exactly, it's the same reason why people who insist on driving 55 in the left lane get the finger, cursed and beeped at.  If you see you're holding up traffic, move over and let people through rather than be a pompous ass that believes you are going fast enough.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you..

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Unless you are already in the process of passing even slower traffic (or passing at 10 over the limit for a more realistic example) and someone comes up at 90mph and tailgates you at a 5 foot distance. They clearly see I am passing someone. They can slow down for 10-20 seconds. The context is significant. Tapping on the brakes is not an outrageous imposition, nor is making an extra effort to catch the group ahead to arrange playing through. If you don't have wait time on the tee with them, then your speed relative to theirs isn't much greater. If you skip your putts on a hole and you still can't catch them then you are just chasing them out of ego or some other intent that has little to do with playing the game of golf.

Kevin

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you..

Totally off topic but I'm reminded of this video.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Unless you are already in the process of passing even slower traffic (or passing at 10 over the limit for a more realistic example) and someone comes up at 90mph and tailgates you at a 5 foot distance. They clearly see I am passing someone. They can slow down for 10-20 seconds. The context is significant. Tapping on the brakes is not an outrageous imposition, nor is making an extra effort to catch the group ahead to arrange playing through. If you don't have wait time on the tee with them, then your speed relative to theirs isn't much greater. If you skip your putts on a hole and you still can't catch them then you are just chasing them out of ego or some other intent that has little to do with playing the game of golf.

That's the first time I've ever heard of someone doing that just to stick it to the group in front of them and I doubt it's a common practice.

There are always extenuating circumstances that require a different interpretation of the rules, but overall if you have a group waiting on you the entire time the right thing to do is to offer to let them play through or to pick up your pace if you're not in position on the course.

Joe Paradiso

Totally off topic but I'm reminded of this video.

Hahahahahahaha..................priceless!  I might suggest this is very "ON TOPIC"!! The kid reactions laughing his @ss off made the clip.   Good stuff....and GTF out of the way!!!!!   Time to play through......... ;-)

I also got a chuckle out of the GF warning not to get too close because they don't have the stickers! ......=driving with expired tags.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

From a May 7, 2015 news posting Golf.com "A golfer in Connecticut pulled an unexpected metal object out of his golf cart this week and it wasn’t one of those gigantic putters that make grown men look like toddlers. Instead, Alejandro Baeza, 22, grabbed a gun from his golf cart at Stanley Golf Course to retaliate against the party behind him who complained he was moving too slowly, NBC Connecticut reports. “Words were exchanged about golf etiquette and playing through,” police Capt. Thomas Steck told the New Britain Herald. “A man in the first group then went to his golf cart and retrieved a firearm.” At that point, the Herald reports, Baeza hid the gun under his clothes then turned to the party behind him and pulled up his shirt to reveal it. The group that was threatened informed the golf shop, who telephoned the police who later arrived at the scene. Baeza was arrested and his gun and permit were both seized, Golf.com reports. He is now facing threatening and breach of peace charges, according to NBC Connecticut, as well as a ban from ever playing at Stanley Golf Course again." It's a changing culture out there so use caution. I've seen it on the ballfield too. Not worth it to be pig headed either side of the coin your on.

[QUOTE name="BuckeyeNut" url="/t/83251/rushing-because-of-faster-players-behind/252#post_1175940"]   [QUOTE name="newtogolf" url="/t/83251/rushing-because-of-faster-players-behind/252#post_1175925"]   Exactly, it's the same reason why people who insist on driving 55 in the left lane get the finger, cursed and beeped at.  If you see you're holding up traffic, move over and let people through rather than be a pompous ass that believes you are going fast enough. [/QUOTE] EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you.. [/QUOTE] Totally off topic but I'm reminded of this video.

ROFL, perfect timing with the video! It's like a daydream come true! :-D I suppose many of us feel like hitting into the slow groups in front kind of like a Walter Mitty daydreaming episode, but the reality is waiting for those zig zags to the green then another 2 minutes per putt per golfer. :-(

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Seriously, how many of you have seen groups skip putting just to press a slow group ahead of them? I'm not sure I've ever seen it in all the rounds I've played.
  • Upvote 1

Colin P.

Seriously, how many of you have seen groups skip putting just to press a slow group ahead of them? I'm not sure I've ever seen it in all the rounds I've played.

This sounds like a poll is needed.

I've seen skip putting just to keep "pace of play", in the sense that a group might feel like they are normally fast players and skip putting just to finish a round without them being passed up. I've also seen people skip putting just to get on the tee box.

I've also skipped putting in the past when I was working on my approach game. :8)

When you play 200+ rounds a year, which many of my playing partners and others on my home courses are doing, a lot of "practice" rounds are played.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This sounds like a poll is needed.

I've seen skip putting just to keep "pace of play", in the sense that a group might feel like they are normally fast players and skip putting just to finish a round without them being passed up. I've also seen people skip putting just to get on the tee box.

I've also skipped putting in the past when I was working on my approach game.

When you play 200+ rounds a year, which many of my playing partners and others on my home courses are doing, a lot of "practice" rounds are played.

I've skipped putting when I've been let through before and I may have skipped putting to move quicker years and years ago when I first started playing. But I've never done it to push someone.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by natureboy

If you skip your putts on a hole and you still can't catch them then you are just chasing them out of ego or some other intent that has little to do with playing the game of golf

That's the first time I've ever heard of someone doing that just to stick it to the group in front of them and I doubt it's a common practice.

A couple of years ago I was playing with my brother-in-law at his winter golf club down in Florida. The place is always packed and we were about a minute late for our tee time because he was talking to the Pro on the putting green. When we got to the tee there was a group of women who had the next tee time and insisted that they should go because we were late. The Pro settled it by stating that he was responsible for any holdup and that we had the tee. Well, those women were on our ass the whole day and I noticed that they never putted out on every single hole and just ran to the next tee so that they could stand there and glare at us, but we were keeping up with the group in front so we never let it affect our pace. They even tried to streamroll past us at the turn because we stopped to grab a dog at the halfway house (we weren't stopping, just grabbing a dog on the move) but my brother-in-law politely told them that they were in violation of club rules and that there would be consequences if they didn't step back and let us have the tee.  It was actually kind of comical and we didn't let it bother us. It was a pointless exercise on their part and all they did was ruin their own day.

Bill M

So it's got to be few and far far between...I'm not talking about, Hey we're falling behind, let's pick it up. I'm talking about what Phan described.

Colin P.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by natureboy

If you skip your putts on a hole and you still can't catch them then you are just chasing them out of ego or some other intent that has little to do with playing the game of golf

A couple of years ago I was playing with my brother-in-law at his winter golf club down in Florida. The place is always packed and we were about a minute late for our tee time because he was talking to the Pro on the putting green. When we got to the tee there was a group of women who had the next tee time and insisted that they should go because we were late. The Pro settled it by stating that he was responsible for any holdup and that we had the tee. Well, those women were on our ass the whole day and I noticed that they never putted out on every single hole and just ran to the next tee so that they could stand there and glare at us, but we were keeping up with the group in front so we never let it affect our pace. They even tried to streamroll past us at the turn because we stopped to grab a dog at the halfway house (we weren't stopping, just grabbing a dog on the move) but my brother-in-law politely told them that they were in violation of club rules and that there would be consequences if they didn't step back and let us have the tee.  It was actually kind of comical and we didn't let it bother us. It was a pointless exercise on their part and all they did was ruin their own day.

ROFL, okay so this seems a bit odd. What are the odds of getting an entire foursome like this? :-$

The "glare at us" part has me in stitches. I can barely complete this post. . .

So it's got to be few and far far between...I'm not talking about, Hey we're falling behind, let's pick it up. I'm talking about what Phan described.

Oh, yeah. . . :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatchman

OT but good observation and comments. The box(es) is positioned in line with the tall tree half way to the green that generally forces the tee shot left for best approach. He just caught it right, got past it, and rolled upon the green. Good sports that didn't mess with the ball. Would have been interesting if they would have dropped it in the hole!

This is why I didn't automatically assume/agree that the people in the OP's story did it on purpose. I think we've all had times where a shot we thought would be safe somehow went way passed expectation. That's not to say they couldn't have done it on purpose, but typically if someone does hit into others on purpose they aren't exactly sorry or friendly when confronted about it.

It was the OP's post which implied he was purposely hit into.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

One person making a comment like that doesn't make an "undercurrent".

Originally Posted by Pretzel

Or you could have let them play through if the course was open ahead of you as well, avoiding any possible confrontation and resulting in a happy ending for all parties involved

From the first page. I am not going to keep searching for you for stuff you don't want to see.

Confrontation <> hitting into someone.

Quote:

That's a common sense response, he wasn't saying that it was ok to be hit into. He was saying that holding others up could lead to confrontation of some sort and that the best practice is to just let faster players go through. I seriously doubt anyone here thinks it's ok to hit into people to make a point of slow play.

"That's a common sense response." Let people through and you won't get hit into... I get it. No veiled threat there at all.

Honestly I don't care. It is never crowded at my course and I am never in such a hurry that I won't let somebody through. I just think that there is a sense that the faster player can never be wrong. Whatever. I am going to shut off notifications on this thread and you guys can go ahead and pretend whatever you want.

The only pretending is being done by you and and the other defenders of the OP.  No one said the thing you put in quotes.

There is nothing in this story that suggests in this case the faster players did anything wrong, with the possible exception of the OP's claim that they hit into him(which personally I do not believe, as it is inconsistent with the rest of his whole story).  Take that one element out of it and all the OP's post is is a silly rant about speed golf.  No one rushed him.  It was all in his head.  There is absolutely nothing in his own description of the story that remotely justifies ANY of his rant without him throwing that in.  And even if they DID hit into him which is wrong and unjustified if done purposefully, there is NO indication that it was done on purpose other than in its inclusion in the OP's story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moppy

I don't doubt you for a minute, but there is an undercurrent of "he had it coming" on this thread is all I am saying and all the OP is saying. Personally, when I am walking alone and I hear a couple of carts doing the NASCAR thing coming up behind me, I let them play through, it only takes a couple of minutes and there is no way I am going to outrun a twosome riding, especially when each has their own cart, as happened a couple of weeks ago, one of them had his girlfriend riding, while I am walking. But if they caught me on the 18th tee, I would not make the pointless gesture of letting them play through.

It was subtle / sparse, but I picked up on it too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duff McGee

Moppy why are you still engaging in this red herring argument? There is no "undercurrent" of people saying he had it coming.

He's not alone.

Quote:

No, it wasn't a "you won't get hit into" you keep assuming that is the only thing that could possibly happen by holding people up. You are the only one here who thinks that. Confrontation covers a lot of possible outcomes.

Rather than a potential confrontation it should be a potential social exchange.

Group playing at their own pace with space in front is approached by someone from fast group who catches them as they are prepping to tee off on the next hole: "Can we play through on the next hole?" says the courteous trailing group golfer. "Sure thing, why not play through on this one. Enjoy your round." says the courteous leading group golfer. Everyone is happy because they get to play their own pace and no one has been disrespectful or jerkish.

If this procedure significantly slows the 'fast' group such that a following group would catch them up then they are not really playing that fast. If a group is skipping putts on multiple holes just to keep pace with me, I won't necessarily just voluntarily wait & step aside to let them barrel through because I don't know what they are up to. Clearly it's not playing golf. Absent an emissary with an explanation I will play on. Particularly when it is obvious that there is a group in front of me that I am keeping pace with. When I have been behind another group that was slower, I never assumed they would just get out of the way. I always expected to ask.

Personally, I play about the same fast or slow. Good practice either way. An open course is a chance to work on more 'instinctive' feel and go shots, while a slow group is a chance to think more about strategy or read my putts more closely, or play multiple balls if a practice round (same on open course if no one is behind). Except that I may rush to my detriment if playing through so I get out of the other group's way as quick as I can to show my gratitude.

Except in the OP's story there is no indication a) that he ever held them up, and b) other than his implication that they hit into him on purpose (which I now doubt ever happened - just thrown in for red meat, since his rant really had no substance whatsoever).

But you do a great job of describing situations that never happen to make your case.

And, BTW, if you see that the group behind you is waiting on every shot and you have holes ahead of you you WAIT on the tee to let them play through, or wave them up on a hole in progress.  If you only let someone play through if they manage to get to the tee box before you tee off (someone's, can't remember who's, "policy) then generic you are being a dick about it.

Quote:

Again, you just make stuff up to justify the OP.  Or are you still going on about the group skipping putting to get on the group ahead's ass.  Because as of yet you are alone in this experience and therefore it is hardly any reason to base anything on it.  And nothing you describe has anything in common with the story the OP told, even as whacked as that story is.

Really.  The lengths people will go to in order to justify slow play are amazing.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

The only pretending is being done by you and and the other defenders of the OP.  No one said the thing you put in quotes.

Not true.

It was the OP's post which implied he was purposely hit into.

I realize that, which is why I said I didn't "assume/agree" that they did it on purpose. Even though he implied it, I doubted it was on purpose because people who intentionally hit into others for playing slow will usually not be cordial if you call them out on it. The story itself was weird, ranting about how speeding up because of the faster players screwed up his game but then admitting it was his fault for not keeping the same pace and letting them through. Also how they were never close to or waiting on him except right at the end when they hit into him on the green. So either they sped up more, he slowed down, they didn't see him when they hit into him, they hit a shot went longer than expected, or any combination. It just seems to me that it was more likely to be an accident than on purpose.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Sunday the Group in front of me was very slow all day and I really liked taking the slow pace as no one was behind me and I enjoyed my day.  So I played slow too, looking for balls, practicing chips and putts, and pretty much not even coming near these guys.  I'm really enjoying the day.  I could have speeded up and asked to pass, but no need.

Last hole - I'm on a long par 5 (600 yards) and hit a great drive.  I have a 3w line, but it'll still be short of the green by 80 yards if hit well.  It's over a hill, so blind to the green.

I drove to the top of the hill and watched until they were all on the green.  Then I drove back and absolutely pured my shot (ended up right half of fairway, about 75 yards out).

As I drive over the hill, two of the guys are driving from around my shot line to the green.  I drove up fast and apologized.  They countered that they were already on the green and last second decided to drive back and look for a ball and told me it wasn't my fault at all - and then they congratulated me on the shot.

In reading the original post - to some people apparently - I could have been 'that guy' hot rodding through my round, 'pushing', intimidating, and ruining his round.  Luckily, these guys weren't wired that way.

it all comes down to how you imagine other people are - you assume the best, or you assume the worst.  I hope I pick my assumptions based on what gives me the least stress and earns the best encounters.

I've NEVER seen anyone hit into another group on purpose.  I've seen idiots and pretend tough guys (seriously, a golfer tough guy?) talk about it, but they've never actually done it.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!