IGNORED

Rushing Because of Faster Players Behind

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yesterday I ran into a situation similar to, or at least pertinent to what is being discussed here.  We played the front as a threesome, but our third only played 9 holes and left at the turn, leaving myself and Don as a twosome.  There was a threesome (two in a cart and one walking) in front of us that we had waited on briefly a couple of time on the front, but they were being held up by the group in from of them too,  We had been watching the two riders driving all over the course in front of us, so we weren't surprised when we started having to wait on every shot beginning on the 10th tee.

After finishing up on 12 we saw that they were still on the 13th tee, so we parked and waited for them to finish teeing off before driving up.  That's when we found out just what was going on.  One of the riders was a guy about 20 and the walker was giving him impromptu swing lessons.  He hit 5 balls from that tee, even though they knew we were sitting there waiting.  They then took nearly 15 minutes to finish that hole (a par 3).  WE made a few comments loud enough for them to hear, and the other guy in the cart yelled at us for "pushing" them.  The foursome in front of them was now more than a hole ahead, yet he said that they were waiting on them.  It turns out the the younger guy was a raw beginner, which I don't have any issue with, but they were playing the blue tees when he, at least, should have been on the whites where we were, or even on the gold forward tees (the course doesn't have red tees to discourage perpetuating the stigma of guys playing the "ladies" tee).

We proceeded to wait on every shot on the back 9, and the ranger wouldn't even say anything to them because there were technically "on time", even though they were failing to keep up with the several foursomes in front of them.  Aside from them the course was easily playing at a 4 hour pace, yet we played to 4:20 with foursomes backing up behind us.

The moral is that just because you are "on pace" doesn't mean that you are playing to the course flow for a given day, and dogged adherence to an arbitrary number doesn't make you right, even if the course sees it as correct by their policy.  If they had let us play through we'd have finished in under 4 hours despite being a twosome following several foursomes.  All we were expecting is that they keep up with the course flow.  Their failing to do that caused a backup for a half dozen groups behind us too.

The lesson they were really giving that new player was entitlement, not etiquette.

That should have happened after six or something on an empty course of they should have waved you though the minute they saw you. Those guys were certifiable jerks.

Right, when there is clear sailing, it's no harm, no foul, send 'em through. When the course is even a little bit crowded, they are slowing the pace of play.

Unfortunately, too many people just look at the group directly ahead of them. I'll send a fast single through even if I know that he's still going to have to get through another group, or even several, to break through. I assume that subsequent groups are courteous enough to do the same. Sadly, not all are.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moppy

Right, when there is clear sailing, it's no harm, no foul, send 'em through. When the course is even a little bit crowded, they are slowing the pace of play.

Unfortunately, too many people just look at the group directly ahead of them. I'll send a fast single through even if I know that he's still going to have to get through another group, or even several, to break through. I assume that subsequent groups are courteous enough to do the same. Sadly, not all are.

This happened a few times, and I just invited the single to join us. . .

In fact, I'm really surprised that it happens at all?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

A single on a cart who wants to play though every group they catch is disruptive on a course with a bunch of groups out, but since they are the faster player, they have no need to be courteous to fellow players. I am starting to understand this whole deal.

Usually on my course, singles on carts try really hard not to press groups unless they know there are only a couple of groups out and mostly clear sailing, but I guess they just don't understand golf etiquette.

We had a single run us down last week, even though we were on a 3:15ish pace. We let him through, even though we were right up against the group ahead of us. Sadly, that group didn't afford him the same courtesy, even though there was almost no one ahead of them. He finally skipped ahead of the knuckleheads and we never saw him again. Even though we ended up waiting behind the guy that we let through, it didn't affect our overall time of play and letting him through was the absolute right thing to do.

I play alone most of the time and I run into this often. I will run up on foursomes rather quickly, even if they are 3-4 holes ahead to start the round. If the course is crowded I will simply back off and play a few extra chips for practice, etc. I don't want them to feel rushed.

If the course is clear I will pick my spot to catch up to them, usually at a par 3 where I can play up with them, putt out quickly and move ahead.

As for pace of play - every so often I get the opportunity to play a local collegiate course in the area. It is immaculate and costs good $ to play. It is usually packed with foursomes all day. The pace of play is listed as 4:30. They rangers encourage everyone to hit that pace of play, they do not encourage you to come in under that time. They understand that playing this course is a genuinely enjoyable experience to be savored, not rushed.

- Mark

If the course is clear I will pick my spot to catch up to them, usually at a par 3 where I can play up with them, putt out quickly and move ahead.

If you're quick, a par-5 works just as well. :beer: [quote name="Braivo" url="/t/83251/rushing-because-of-faster-players-behind/342#post_1181107"] As for pace of play - every so often I get the opportunity to play a local collegiate course in the area. It is immaculate and costs good $ to play. It is usually packed with foursomes all day. The pace of play is listed as 4:30. They rangers encourage everyone to hit that pace of play, they do not encourage you to come in under that time. They understand that playing this course is a genuinely enjoyable experience to be savored, not rushed.  [/quote] I wouldn't play that course if they paid me.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Being a single can be tricky. If the course is full I just play at the pace everyone else is. If there are gaps I hope to be asked to play through. If someone asks me to play through and I know there is nowhere to go I decline it. Though if I know that I stay back to avoid being on top of them. I don't have a problem chipping and putting if there is nobody behind me. What kills me is other singles and short groups that are too shy to pair up.

Dave :-)

I will admit I always send them through whatever the first sign of impatience on their part because I don't want them sitting behind me making me feel rushed. Just because somebody is being rude doesn't require a rude response and I don't want to be the pace cop, but singles riding carts shouldn't be complaining about "slow threesomes walking." They should expect that they are going to run up against groups constantly if they are playing any kind of peak time of day, and accept it with grace.

I will admit I always send them through whatever the first sign of impatience on their part because I don't want them sitting behind me making me feel rushed. Just because somebody is being rude doesn't require a rude response and I don't want to be the pace cop, but singles riding carts shouldn't be complaining about "slow threesomes walking." They should expect that they are going to run up against groups constantly if they are playing any kind of peak time of day, and accept it with grace.

Sure on a busy course it is what it is. My problem getting stuck behind slower groups is what I described earlier, it may take 3 holes to get around them. It shouldn't require being bumper car close on the path to be obvious I am moving quickly. I am quick enough to play through singles so with open air in front I want to put the peddle to the metal. I am not impatient as much as usually only 3-7 strokes over a side it just doesn't take me long.

To me a sign of impatience is taking practice swings next to their ball when I am on the green and the next group is on the next tee. I will still send the guy through, but he is disrupting a lot of people's game out of  selfishness.

To me a sign of impatience is taking practice swings next to their ball when I am on the green and the next group is on the next tee. I will still send the guy through, but he is disrupting a lot of people's game out of  selfishness.

Or maybe he wants to keep loose, and while he's standing over that particular shot he wants to rehearse the swing for that shot. Also he wants to be ready to play when the green is clear. If you or anyone else is being "disrupted" in the scenario you describe (and this applies to many scenarios described in this thread) it's because you are choosing to interpret someone else's perfectly innocent and reasonable actions as some personal affront. From the perspective of the dude making practice swings, everything isn't about you.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Or maybe he wants to keep loose, and while he's standing over that particular shot he wants to rehearse the swing for that shot. Also he wants to be ready to play when the green is clear.

If you or anyone else is being "disrupted" in the scenario you describe (and this applies to many scenarios described in this thread) it's because you are choosing to interpret someone else's perfectly innocent and reasonable actions as some personal affront.

From the perspective of the dude making practice swings, everything isn't about you.

Whatever, I get it. The faster player has no need to show any courtesy to his fellow players on the golf course they are sharing. Full stop.

Or maybe he wants to keep loose, and while he's standing over that particular shot he wants to rehearse the swing for that shot. Also he wants to be ready to play when the green is clear.

If you or anyone else is being "disrupted" in the scenario you describe (and this applies to many scenarios described in this thread) it's because you are choosing to interpret someone else's perfectly innocent and reasonable actions as some personal affront.

From the perspective of the dude making practice swings, everything isn't about you.

Exactly. Especially when I am playing decent. If I go from being in a groove to sitting in my cart watching people ahead I tend to lose momentum.

Exactly. Especially when I am playing decent. If I go from being in a groove to sitting in my cart watching people ahead I tend to lose momentum.

Remember that we are talking about a single rider here bumping up against group after group.

Whatever, I get it. The faster player has no need to show any courtesy to his fellow players on the golf course they are sharing. Full stop.

I think this is just perception and may be directly related to how well the faster golfer is playing. It may seem like they are pushing you if they hit a good drive on a short par four and you look back and they are at their ball planning the next shot while you are putting. They may just want to continue what may be their best round of the week or whatever. Why should they have to molly coddle the groups ahead if they are slower and there is room to move.

Remember that we are talking about a single rider here bumping up against group after group.

No we're talking about you perceiving someone taking practice swings during a round of golf as some rude attack on you.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

No we're talking about you perceiving someone taking practice swings during a round of golf as some rude attack on you.

Then you didn't read the thread and just jumped in with a comment about something nobody was talking about.

I think this is just perception and may be directly related to how well the faster golfer is playing. It may seem like they are pushing you if they hit a good drive on a short par four and you look back and they are at their ball planning the next shot while you are putting. They may just want to continue what may be their best round of the week or whatever. Why should they have to molly coddle the groups ahead if they are slower and there is room to move.

Specifically there was no room to move in the hypothetical, and it was a single golfer riding on a course with a lot of groups out. But I see what you are saying, Common human courtesy is "molly coddling."

I'd have to disagree with that. If I'm waiting on the group ahead to putt out, I'd much rather take some swings to keep myself loose as opposed to just sitting in the cart waiting.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Note: This thread is 3177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!