IGNORED

Titleist Introduces 716 Line of Irons and Hybrids

Note: This thread is 3087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Those AP2's look much thicker than I though they would.

Im going to hit the CB and the T-MB and see which I like more.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm so glad I don't think it looks ugly. WANT! Looks like the manager at Golf Galaxy didn't know what he was talking about.

I'm with you I think they look great.

Those AP2's look much thicker than I though they would.

Im going to hit the CB and the T-MB and see which I like more.

The AP2's are pretty thick, but the topline isn't bad.  The CB are thinner and the overall head size is quite smaller than the AP2. If you're used to the 710 CB, the AP2 is going to seem oversized to you.  I haven't seen the T-MB in person yet, so can't comment on them.

The AP1 looks awful inside the cavity. Harkens back to some of the older RAZR offshoot models that Callaway had a few years ago. The AP1 is never much of a looker, but yeesh.

I've never liked the look of the AP1, they are very similar to the JPX-825.  Thick sole and top line, with a wide cavity back.

I'm with you I think they look great.

I agree, I really like how they look too.

Joe Paradiso

I must say I'm pretty disappointed because last year Titleist sent me a sleeve of new ProV1's to test; I'm still waiting for a set of AP2's or T- MB's to test {shrug}

Players play, tough players win!

The AP2's are pretty thick, but the topline isn't bad.  The CB are thinner and the overall head size is quite smaller than the AP2. If you're used to the 710 CB, the AP2 is going to seem oversized to you.  I haven't seen the T-MB in person yet, so can't comment on them.

If the AP2's look in person the way they look in the pictures, I can't agree with you. That topline looks both thick and square; they could have rounded it or beveled the edges more to soften that up. There's just something unappealing about them to my eye.

If I were going to go Titleist this year, I'd probably step up to the CBs or T-MBs, based on the looks anyway. I always prefer to play irons above my skill level anyway.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

BTW 716 AP2's are the same size and look at address as the 714 AP's.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

BTW 716 AP2's are the same size and look at address as the 714 AP's.

Also, like the 714 AP 2's, the 716 AP 2's will be Titleist's #1 iron on tour (AP 2 might also be the most played model for the entire tour).

Mike McLoughlin

I don't know why but I never liked the AP2's. Maybe it's the absurd price tag along with it :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don't know why but I never liked the AP2's. Maybe it's the absurd price tag along with it :)

T-MB irons are going to be even pricier. $199 per club ($1,599/set of 8)

Mike McLoughlin

Also, like the 714 AP 2's, the 716 AP 2's will be Titleist's #1 iron on tour (AP 2 might also be the most played model for the entire tour).

This is what has always bugged me.

Why do I choose to play the CB's which are harder to hit than the AP2's? If they're good enough for the PGA Tour players then they should be good enough for me. They work the ball the same if not more than I want to, so there is no reason for me to give up the forgiveness of the AP2 by going with the CB.

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

They are pretty pricey. That being said you can drop a grand on a 3 day golf trip with ease. I'd like to hit the 716 AP's. A buddy of mine just got the 714's and they are nice.

I spent $750 for my brand new CB's back in 2007. I got a hell of a discount through my country club at the time.

With that said, they have lasted me over 8 years, so the investment isn't that bad when you look at it on an annual basis. I need to see the pricing on the new AP2's. Im expecting $1300 ish. But again its not bad as long as Im not switching sets of irons every 2-3 years.

They're $1200. Not too bad.

Ill probably only order 4-9 and go with a vokey for my PW. That should cut the cost down about $300ish.

Kyle Paulhus

So, in looking at the specs, the PW of the AP1's is 43* whereas the AP2's is 46*.

The AP2's are likely not what I should consider getting for my skill level so, I'd really go with the AP1's, and maybe I'm naive about this, but isn't the PW on most sets in and around 48* (like the AP2's is 46*)?

The reason I ask is because the W1 you can get with the set is 47* and the W2 is 52* and I'm thinking of how I'd arrange my bag since I'd have to carry 5 wedges (PW, W1, W2, SW(56*), LW(60*)).

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

So, in looking at the specs, the PW of the AP1's is 43* whereas the AP2's is 46*.

The AP2's are likely not what I should consider getting for my skill level so, I'd really go with the AP1's, and maybe I'm naive about this, but isn't the PW on most sets in and around 48* (like the AP2's is 46*)?

The reason I ask is because the W1 you can get with the set is 47* and the W2 is 52* and I'm thinking of how I'd arrange my bag since I'd have to carry 5 wedges (PW, W1, W2, SW(56*), LW(60*)).

Most pitching wedges now are closer to 46 than 48.

From Titleist's perspective the 716 AP1 lofts are a better way to go about the loft gapping.

Mike McLoughlin

Most pitching wedges now are closer to 46 than 48. From Titleist's perspective the 716 AP1 lofts are a better way to go about the loft gapping.  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/132542/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/132541/] [/URL]

Seems like it's just creating a gap in the scoring clubs instead of the long irons. @RFKFREAK , you'll have to hit their PW before buying so you can decide where you'll go with it. Having to buy an extra 48° club or something is going to mess up your wedges, unless you decide you aren't going to make full swings at that gap and will figure out yardages accordingly.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Most pitching wedges now are closer to 46 than 48.

From Titleist's perspective the 716 AP1 lofts are a better way to go about the loft gapping.

@mvmac do you know Titleist's reasoning for it being a better way to go about the loft gapping for the AP1's?

Seems like it's just creating a gap in the scoring clubs instead of the long irons. @RFKFREAK, you'll have to hit their PW before buying so you can decide where you'll go with it. Having to buy an extra 48° club or something is going to mess up your wedges, unless you decide you aren't going to make full swings at that gap and will figure out yardages accordingly.

Well, theoretically, since the W1 is 47* and the W2 is 52*, presuming my yardage with the 47* is similar to my current PW and the yardage is similar for AP1's 52* and the 52* I currently own, I'd likely have to keep the the 56* and the 60* I use right now in the bag and I'd have to remove a club either my 3W or 5W.

If I were really smart, I'd bring you along when I go for a fitting and get your thoughts on it since I'd be looking to get a hybrid, too. ;-)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

@mvmac do you know Titleist's reasoning for it being a better way to go about the loft gapping for the AP1's?

Basically what the chart shows, they feel it helps create more distance separation with the longer clubs.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!