IGNORED

Why all the testosterone?

daa1969
Note: This thread is 3186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well duff, i guess because my numbers tell people i should be a certain hndcp, but in fact im not and its mostly my putting which never seems to be factored in to thier equations, i hear it almost every time i play, people tell me to got to some kind of putting school and i could be closer to a scratch golfer, theres always comments on my putting and how nice my swing is but the numbers dont match what one would expect if one just saw me hitting balls

your exactly right.if you cant putt to put the ball in the hole then I dont care how far you hit ball.

I may be in the minority here, but why do we care whether someone hits the ball as far as they think they do?

I think the dead horse has been dead for days.

You're not in the minority.

However, golf is a game where distance is critical to performance. So, if someone makes a statement of distance it should be substantiated.

The other thing is that if there is an inconsistency in something someone states, it should be brought up. This way we can keep true about what we are doing so if another poster makes suggestions to help that someone then the suggestions make sense because they are based upon facts and not some made up thing.

We're not perfect, but this site is based upon trying to make sure we make decent suggestions to each other. We should correct our mistakes and move on. If a person doesn't correct his mistakes, there will be attempts by others to correct them.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm a little late into this whole conversation but every day I'd try to catch up there would be another 3 pages added on lol. But back to topic, lets talk about this tee box debacle the OP talks about people playing form the tips shooting 120+, if people are indeed shooting that high I don't think it matters what tee box your hitting from, your probably hitting many ball OB/lost and are going to play slow as a result. I prefer to play courses anywhere from 6700-7000, even though I'm not a low handicapper. Ultimately I think distance should dictated where you play form and not handicap, I play with some people who hit decent 250 yrd drives but then chunk it, approach, 2 chip and 3 putt, it wouldn't matter if they were 150 out or 50 out on that hole they would score around the same.

The problem that can arise from teeing it too far forward would be that decent drives could run through fairways, put you too close to dog legs, or get you into hazards. Ah and that brings me to your solution just club down or don't swing as fast, club down maybe but if you think about it your average person hits their drive probably 10-14 times a round that's more then any other club, excluding maybe wedges and putter. I'd wager that most have gotten pretty used to hitting that club off the tee, teeing up a shorter club isn't guaranteed to be advantageous to everyone, ok then just slow down your swing..

If only it were that easy a good swing is about tempo and telling people who don't play that well just to try swinging slowly is likely to mess up their tempo thus creating more unpredictable shots. To people saying oh if I hit it that far, I'd be on the PGA tour... well golf is a game with many aspects, sure distance is an important aspect but its not the and all be all of the sport of golf we all have to remember that a 300yrd drive and a 3ft putt are the same number of strokes on the card at the end of the day and if you want to be a good golfer you have to have a pretty complete package.

TL;DR let people play from wherever they want as long as they aren't holding people up what does it matter to you, you work on your game and let them work on theirs everyone's concern isn't the ending number on a card if it were you'd find many more people on par 3 or executive courses because you could defiantly have lower numbers, but many people like a challenge.

• Upvote 1

I'm a little late into this whole conversation but every day I'd try to catch up there would be another 3 pages added on lol. But back to topic, lets talk about this tee box debacle the OP talks about people playing form the tips shooting 120+, if people are indeed shooting that high I don't think it matters what tee box your hitting from, your probably hitting many ball OB/lost and are going to play slow as a result. I prefer to play courses anywhere from 6700-7000, even though I'm not a low handicapper. Ultimately I think distance should dictated where you play form and not handicap, I play with some people who hit decent 250 yrd drives but then chunk it, approach, 2 chip and 3 putt, it wouldn't matter if they were 150 out or 50 out on that hole they would score around the same.

The problem that can arise from teeing it too far forward would be that decent drives could run through fairways, put you too close to dog legs, or get you into hazards. Ah and that brings me to your solution just club down or don't swing as fast, club down maybe but if you think about it your average person hits their drive probably 10-14 times a round that's more then any other club, excluding maybe wedges and putter. I'd wager that most have gotten pretty used to hitting that club off the tee, teeing up a shorter club isn't guaranteed to be advantageous to everyone, ok then just slow down your swing..

If only it were that easy a good swing is about tempo and telling people who don't play that well just to try swinging slowly is likely to mess up their tempo thus creating more unpredictable shots. To people saying oh if I hit it that far, I'd be on the PGA tour... well golf is a game with many aspects, sure distance is an important aspect but its not the and all be all of the sport of golf we all have to remember that a 300yrd drive and a 3ft putt are the same number of strokes on the card at the end of the day and if you want to be a good golfer you have to have a pretty complete package.

TL;DR let people play from wherever they want as long as they aren't holding people up what does it matter to you, you work on your game and let them work on theirs everyone's concern isn't the ending number on a card if it were you'd find many more people on par 3 or executive courses because you could defiantly have lower numbers, but many people like a challenge.

Nice post @Jon Hoover . I did edit it to be a bit easier to read.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Lihu again that doesn't really make much sense. You are talking semantics now. Wind can also help a drive go longer. If you are talking about 300 yard averages then yeah, a simulator is probably a little longer than real life. But if you are talking about my claim that I have hit "many 300 yard drives in my life even though they aren't typical," then I don't understand your point.

I agree jon hoover with much of what you say, i guess for me though, playing it forward helps me stay in a better tempo, at most i only hit driver 8times, where space is not an issue, the rest is about trying to be in the right position, i understand that a lot of people wouldnt be any more relaxed over a 4iron than they are over a driver, but for me, it works, i focus more on the tempo and a particular landing area, ive spent a lot of time fitting my driver for my natural go for it swing, so when i try to do anything less it can get ugly.

Lihu again that doesn't really make much sense. You are talking semantics now. Wind can also help a drive go longer.

If you are talking about 300 yard averages then yeah, a simulator is probably a little longer than real life. But if you are talking about my claim that I have hit "many 300 yard drives in my life even though they aren't typical," then I don't understand your point.

Actually, I have no idea what you are talking about, and don't really have that much time or ability to interpret what you are saying again?

Anyway here's a link to wind effect. http://thesandtrap.com/t/53888/the-effects-of-wind-on-a-golf-shot

Essentially, tail wind of 40mph gives you 20 yards, and headwind of 40mph takes away 40 yards. Not a symmetric effect.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Why is it that some of our other posters have been booted for getting off topic but our supporter and likes get to stay and get off topic? Why are we not allowed to go off topic? Its like hanging out with your friends at home and limiting different discussions to different rooms in the house!

• Administrator

Why is it that some of our other posters have been booted for getting off topic but our supporter and likes get to stay and get off topic? Why are we not allowed to go off topic? Its like hanging out with your friends at home and limiting different discussions to different rooms in the house!

When a moderator notices off topic posts, we comment on it.

Simple policy.

Now… back on topic, please. :offtopic:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok, sounds reasonable, just too bad you were asleep at the wheel like 250 posts ago when the attacks began!

Seems to me the attacks began with the first post.-Who are you to tell other people how to play their golf? Way to join the forum.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Ok, sorry that some may have taken my op as an attack, or taken my mere examples as the word of god, that was not my intent, i was simply trying to bring up a topic that seems to be a big part of the discussions i come across on the course. I will now simply unsubscribe from this thread, no problem!

Ok, sorry that some may have taken my op as an attack, or taken my mere examples as the word of god, that was not my intent, i was simply trying to bring up a topic that seems to be a big part of the discussions i come across on the course. I will now simply unsubscribe from this thread, no problem!

No need for that-just consider how you might come off. Many people would enjoy golf more if they moved up. Probably includes you.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Funny I was thinking about this thread playing in league last night. Not sure why but they had the whites really far up from the blues. I played with two guys on whites and they were very happy they were that far up. It makes golf easier. Most should want to score as well as they can. Somehow more than a few higher handicap golfers think that moving up will magically make golf too easy for them. It won't fix your swing but it may minimize your mistakes. At some point being closer to the hole is going to result in shorter shots with shorter clubs that are easier to control and you will have a better chance to recover from poor performance off the tee.

Dave :-)

Funny I was thinking about this thread playing in league last night. Not sure why but they had the whites really far up from the blues. I played with two guys on whites and they were very happy they were that far up. It makes golf easier. Most should want to score as well as they can. Somehow more than a few higher handicap golfers think that moving up will magically make golf too easy for them. It won't fix your swing but it may minimize your mistakes. At some point being closer to the hole is going to result in shorter shots with shorter clubs that are easier to control and you will have a better chance to recover from poor performance off the tee.

That's only if you don't care/know about differentials. Sure, I could play forward and score some strokes better, but the differential won't improve and could quite possibly get worse. The shortest course I play is my league course. I shot a 42 there tonight, which is 7 over. For me that would be an improvement right? Wrong, with the course rating for such a short and easy course that really works out to a differential of 9 which is what I should shoot there. So, while it was nice to see a nine hole score of 7 over I knew it didn't mean much and therefore didn't really feel all the great.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

So a 498 yard par 5 tonight I hit a nice, high draw off the sweet spot and didn't get all that much roll out. Hit it to the 200 marker. Straight hole. So the reason this one didn't go 300 was because it didn't roll forever. I still got to the fringe in 2 and had a baby chip for eagle. Was this my average distance today? Nope! Even hooked one into the trees about 150 out. I hit a few around 270 and didn't really hit driver all that much, to be honest. The point is, every round I usually get very close or on the green in 2 on most manageable par 5's. Now if it is a 570 yard par 5 that ain't happening unless I ride the cart path down hill.

There seems to be a lot of heat and passion about distances here! It's also interesting how some categorically assume that long=low hcp.

Being long is also about athleticism and coordination, some have natural good muscular dispositions, some not so much. Here in Oz, I see a lot of athletes on the courses, they can literally blast the ball 280m but you can also see that their swing isn't repeatable and consistent enough to warrant any score under 90.

For instance I saw this huge guy drive up to the green on a 275m par 4, that was the 1st hole, quite impressive I thought. But his swing was just... well something I wouldn't want for myself.

Anyway, he ended up shooting 46 on 9 holes...

Note: This thread is 3186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!