IGNORED

Why all the testosterone?

daa1969
Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

He really hits that far, really.

"Typically" and consistently in play?

I think he can hit farther, just things like trees and other fairways and such get in the way. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Typically" and consistently in play?

Jeremie Boop <-- my Game Golf profile

I do have a few that get away from me most rounds.

*by get away from me I mean OB/lost*

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Last year I played with two older gentlemen who refused to play it forward. They could barely reach the shortest par 4 with 2 shots. One guy kept trying with Driver off tee and then driver off the deck. If you can barely reach a 320 yard par 4 in two I don't get why you would play it back.

A few weeks ago I played with 2 guys who asked what tee's we should play. I said I am fine with either but the back tee's are challenging for me at about a 7 handicap. They chose the back tee's which was a "mistake" for their skill level. It was a little painful but thankfully we were only a 3 some so were barely able to keep up with the 4-some in front of us. However, in such a case I have no problem with a group experimenting with the back tee's. As long as they are keeping up with the group in front I don't care about grumblings from the groups behind about "why are those guys playing the back tee's".

Jeremie Boop  <-- my Game Golf profile

I do have a few that get away from me most rounds.

*by get away from me I mean OB/lost*

Well then, 270 isn't "typical". When I just swing away I can hit it 260-270 but I have no idea where it is going so I don't do it. When I am at my most consistent I hit it "typically" in the 235-240 range (VERY occasionally 10-15 yards longer when the stars are aligned) and I have a chance to score. Our course from the regular tees are usually in the 6500 range so it is pretty challenging. I would love to be able to attack a course from 30 yards closer but I can't afford the lost balls.

• Upvote 1

Bill M

Last year I played with two older gentlemen who refused to play it forward. They could barely reach the shortest par 4 with 2 shots. One guy kept trying with Driver off tee and then driver off the deck. If you can barely reach a 320 yard par 4 in two I don't get why you would play it back.

A few weeks ago I played with 2 guys who asked what tee's we should play. I said I am fine with either but the back tee's are challenging for me at about a 7 handicap. They chose the back tee's which was a "mistake" for their skill level. It was a little painful but thankfully we were only a 3 some so were barely able to keep up with the 4-some in front of us. However, in such a case I have no problem with a group experimenting with the back tee's. As long as they are keeping up with the group in front I don't care about grumblings from the groups behind about "why are those guys playing the back tee's".

What's funny is most of the older guys I know can't wait until they can play the senior tees in our league. They see it as an advantage. I'm content playing the whites/men's/default *whatever they are called depending on the course*. However, there are courses that I've played that are super short *less than 6000 yards* from the whites and only 6300-6500 from the blues/back/tips that I have no problem moving back at.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

What's funny is most of the older guys I know can't wait until they can play the senior tees in our league. They see it as an advantage. I'm content playing the whites/men's/default *whatever they are called depending on the course*. However, there are courses that I've played that are super short *less than 6000 yards* from the whites and only 6300-6500 from the blues/back/tips that I have no problem moving back at.

It would be interesting to see what tee's they choose on a non-league round just for fun. My 'friends' keep teasing me that I will need to move up to the senior tee's when I hit 50 and I am all for it .... for one day just for giggles.

I see this all the time in league play. The guys back for casual rounds, why the are back there I don't know, play up in league because their handicap/flights allow them to. But it's not just older guys. I see guys in their 20's playing from 5675 in league. I rarely see anyone on those tees any other day, the pristine condition of the boxes indicate not many people use them. Sat afternoon when I play through them they're back at 6500. They tend to choke in league but their scores are better. When I get the results each week the low gross in flights 3-5 will be close to my usual 9 hole score and those guys are 20 plus handicaps.

But that's why I don't get playing back. If those guys struggle to play low mid 80's golf from 5675, talking sub 300 yard par 4's and sub 500 yard par 5's, why get thrashed at 6500. It's not the distance as much as they hit a barrage of really bad shots. Some due to being in trouble but mostly just a lot of duffs. It doesn't matter if they hit a couple bombs because the next three shots are chunked or whatever.

I witness some crazy stuff from the league guys. Last week this occasional long bomber type hit a 7 iron from 217 and landed it on the green, it was his 4th shot on a 566 yard par 5. So it took him 3 shots to advance it 349 yards, two were driver and 3w, but he crushes a 7 and gets to the green and two putts for bogey. The next hole a 150 yard par 3 from his tees and he hit a PW about 80 yards chunks a wedge out of the rough twice and 3 putts for triple. The next hole he hits a big weak slice OB but jacks the next one just off the green on a drivable par 4 chips on and 1 putts to save bogey. This guy could whale on it. He actually asked me "does your ball always just die like that, it looks like you are hitting it further than it goes". This is when I was hitting it 260ish and I don't even use a traditional driver. It's a strong 3w by todays standards. He thought I was short.

Dave :-)

Well then, 270 isn't "typical". When I just swing away I can hit it 260-270 but I have no idea where it is going so I don't do it. When I am at my most consistent I hit it "typically" in the 235-240 range (VERY occasionally 10-15 yards longer when the stars are aligned) and I have a chance to score. Our course from the regular tees are usually in the 6500 range so it is pretty challenging. I would love to be able to attack a course from 30 yards closer but I can't afford the lost balls.

So, because I have a few OB the rest of my in play drives don't count?

Partial round recorded last night first part of round not recorded due to playing several shots because course was busy and slow: *struggled with push cuts all night due to swing changes*

11. 279

12. 299

13. 259

Next 3 holes lost tee shots OB right due to the push cuts all distances based on provisional tee shot

15--- not counting, retee was with 5w

16. 268

17. 291

Last full round drives, by hole:

1. *no warm up* 259

3. 255 clipped tree on left dropped down and left

4. 294 push fade

5. 266 *uphill fairway, just short of where it flattens out almost no roll*

7. 278

8 261 *weak heely fade*

9. 264 *slight push landed in bunker*

11. 278

12. 282

13. 275

14. 291

16. 302

17. 245 *toe hook*

So, yeah, I definitely can't expect to hit it around 270 on a typical drive right? Or are you saying that provisional distances don't count? Look, I get it, I'm an oddity. You aren't the first to question me, and you won't be the last. Unless I finally get the rest of my game in order and my HI gets more in line with "what it should be".

It would be interesting to see what tee's they choose on a non-league round just for fun. My 'friends' keep teasing me that I will need to move up to the senior tee's when I hit 50 and I am all for it .... for one day just for giggles.

I have never seen them play casual rounds. In our league it requires you to be 62 before you can move up. This is the first year my dad was able to move up and he did it without hesitation.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

It's not impossible. I looked at the Game Golf profile just today of a bogey golfer that was averaging 275 with driver.

Yeah, but he said he AVERAGES 305. That's not the same.

Yeah, but he said he AVERAGES 305. That's not the same.

He is getting more grief for saying his bad drive average is 275. It can happen.

Dave :-)

So, because I have a few OB the rest of my in play drives don't count?

Last full round drives, by hole:

1. *no warm up* 259

3. 255 clipped tree on left dropped down and left

4. 294 push fade

5. 266 *uphill fairway, just short of where it flattens out almost no roll*

7. 278

8 261 *weak heely fade*

9. 264 *slight push landed in bunker*

11. 278

12. 282

13. 275

14. 291

16. 302

17. 245 *toe hook*

So, yeah, I definitely can't expect to hit it around 270 on a typical drive right? Or are you saying that provisional distances don't count? Look, I get it, I'm an oddity. You aren't the first to question me, and you won't be the last. Unless I finally get the rest of my game in order and my HI gets more in line with "what it should be".

If I drove it like that I would easily break 80 every time out, and I play every day on a course with a 138 slope.  My brother DOES break 80 every time out and he doesn't drive it like that.

BTW, Bubba Watson hits 294 yard "push fades".

Bill M

Ill probably get chewed out for this but its just my opinion and I could be wrong.If you really want to find out how good you are then you should play the tips every once in awhile aslong as your not holding people up preferably on an open course thata not crowded.I dont care what that course rating says on card bout different tees because theres no way 7000 yd course only plays 3-4 strokes harder than from 6000 yds.I personally believe its much more than that.On a 6000 yd course I should generally shoot 80.I dont see myself only shooting 83-84 from tips.It would be more like 86-89.

So, for all you nay sayers, i just went to golf galaxy and hit a few, didnt have my driver, just used a stiff 10.5 as you can see in my avatar pic my carry was 262 my total was 287 and swing speed was 103. Not to make any excuses but it wasnt my driver, and they say its set at sea level and for our area you can expect 5-10% more, i never claimed to be a great golfer, just that i can hit it long, if you think just because your long you should be good your a jakwad, and for the record, before i started implementing some changes i was a 6 hndcp, taking some time to adjust, and again, my putting is my big killer

If I drove it like that I would easily break 80 every time out, and I play every day on a course with a 138 slope.  My brother DOES break 80 every time out and he doesn't drive it like that.

Like I said, you guys are much better than I am. About Bubba, he also has about 10 mph+ swing speed on me and he is used to hitting push fades. I'm used to hitting push draw/straight draw so it's hard to adjust to such a sudden change in ball flight. Especially when it's not every swing that it pops up, such is the devil of making swing changes I suppose.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

So, for all you nay sayers, i just went to golf galaxy and hit a few, didnt have my driver, just used a stiff 10.5 as you can see in my avatar pic my carry was 262 my total was 287 and swing speed was 103. Not to make any excuses but it wasnt my driver, and they say its set at sea level and for our area you can expect 5-10% more, i never claimed to be a great golfer, just that i can hit it long, if you think just because your long you should be good your a jakwad, and for the record, before i started implementing some changes i was a 6 hndcp, taking some time to adjust, and again, my putting is my big killer

So, the issue most of the other posters had was that you claimed a bad drive is 275 yards, but as it turns out that would be when the stars align with a 103mph SS.

If you had stated this to begin with rather than the 305 yard average, I think more people would have aligned themselves with your statement.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

@Jeremie Boop really does hit it that far, and he really does still suck at golf :-P .

Can we move on now?

BTW driving is the strength of his game. Lots of places one can lose strokes on the golf course. Just because somebody hits their driver long doesn't mean they're mid-low handicaps.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Nice discussions. The league I played in wont let you play up until your 65, yet the Champion flight - 0 handicappers all play men's tees also using max HI established during league. Under 10's generally have to play tips in member events. The short courses around here are protected by water, carry or dunk. Tall weeds, waste areas. The rough is tall, thick and juicy. So you learn where to hit to and when to gamble. 225-240 carries will get you by. More will get you victories. 200 can compete from the upper tees if well placed.

Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!