IGNORED

The "Stop Conning Yourself" Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 1039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How do I con myself?  I think I know more than I do.  I don't know a lot of technicalities, I've built my swing on a few small fundamentals and feel.  I try to think logically and understand why I do what I do... but then I saw my swing on video...   I clearly don't swing like I thought I did and certainly don't do what it feels like I'm doing...  So, I admit I don't know what I thought I knew about my own swing.  :dance:I feel better already!!!

:beer:  Cheers! 

Yup, seeing myself swing on video was a real eye opener.  So many things I am not doing right, that I hit the ball in that instance where I wanted it too was a mini miracle all things considered.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not sure this qualifies as a con, but I took some video last night with a slo-mo feature on my new phone. With the increased frames I could clearly see the bend in my wrist where I started to flip just at impact. All this time I thought I had pretty good control of key #3.

Jon

Watch a player's short game and you will have a great idea of whether they are attempting to con themselves about their handicap or their abilities.  100 yards in is the key to a good game. 

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

• Administrator

Watch a player's short game and you will have a great idea of whether they are attempting to con themselves about their handicap or their abilities.  100 yards in is the key to a good game. 

Off topic for this thread, but stick around… you may learn that 100 yards and in doesn't matter nearly as much as outside of 100 yards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Off topic for this thread, but stick around… you may learn that 100 yards and in doesn't matter nearly as much as outside of 100 yards.

Ok.  Thanks!  Don't want to hijack your thread. 

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

Welcome to the site. Good thread for you to check out. If you have any questions or want to discuss, please post in that thread, thanks.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I rate my game from what I shoot on average unfortunately I play alone and not competitively a lot. I never cheat myself sure iv'e taken mulligans and generally don't get to hard on myself but I know the way I hit the ball at my best I should be a +5 at my home course. I'm just so inconsistent I range from scoring as a 9 handicap to a 3 it fluctuates. I play from the tips and use a handicap calculator online to figure where I'm at.

I never cheat myself sure iv'e taken mulligans 

These counter each other

I know the way I hit the ball at my best I should be a +5 at my home course. 

Do you realize if you say you are a +5 you would be averaging about 66 to 67. Yet you say you shoot from a 9 to a 3 over. Yea, that's not happening for ya. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I know the way I hit the ball at my best I should be a +5 at my home course. I'm just so inconsistent I range from scoring as a 9 handicap to a 3 it fluctuates. 

This is an example of you conning yourself. I could say the same thing, when I hit the ball at my best I should be a plus something handicap but that's not the reality of golf. Golf is about how "good" your average and bad shots are. It's like the example of the 16 handicap in Lowest Score Wins, the guy that sees himself as the golfer that hit the perfect shot and believes he should be able to repeat it 99% of the time. You're doing the same thing, you're conning yourself into believing that your lack of consistency is masking your "+5 ball striking". Those couple of holes or shots where you're "at your best" is the anomaly. Same for me or any golfer.

Mike McLoughlin

This is an example of you conning yourself. I could say the same thing, when I hit the ball at my best I should be a plus something handicap but that's not the reality of golf. Golf is about how "good" your average and bad shots are. It's like the example of the 16 handicap in Lowest Score Wins, the guy that sees himself as the golfer that hit the perfect shot and believes he should be able to repeat it 99% of the time. You're doing the same thing, you're conning yourself into believing that your lack of consistency is masking your "+5 ball striking". Those couple of holes or shots where you're "at your best" is the anomaly. Same for me or any golfer.

This is definitely something a lot of us fall into. You get into a groove and you think "this is really how I should be playing". I know at any point I could start on a streak of pars with a birdie or 2, but I also know that's not my typically level of play right now. I know I have the ability to get there but just because I do it now and then doesn't mean it's my norm. It is, however, becoming more and more frequent to string pars together and score a birdie now and then. That's just how I know that I am actually improving.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

These counter each other

Do you realize if you say you are a +5 you would be averaging about 66 to 67. Yet you say you shoot from a 9 to a 3 over. Yea, that's not happening for ya. 

There is a lpga teaching pro who isn't a tour player and isn't a kid either, but shot if I remember about a 63 or something here at the ridge in Auburn Ca. I think here name was Carol French. It's about scoring mac not some magical playing ability. I hit the ball well enough to shoot a 65 yes just inconsistently. The people who con themselves are the toppers and duffers who think they are a 10 handicap because one time they made a few putts and broke 45 on 9 holes.

There is a lpga teaching pro who isn't a tour player and isn't a kid either, but shot if I remember about a 63 or something here at the ridge in Auburn Ca. I think here name was Carol French. It's about scoring mac not some magical playing ability. I hit the ball well enough to shoot a 65 yes just inconsistently. The people who con themselves are the toppers and duffers who think they are a 10 handicap because one time they made a few putts and broke 45 on 9 holes.

At 6700 yards and a rating of 73/140, this doesn't look like a trivially easy course. Isn't it the inconsistency part that makes you a 5 instead of a +5?

Also, I don't see how someone prone to topping and duffing can think they are a 10 HC? That seems to be pushing the bounds of reason? :hmm:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

No li hu I believe I can be a  +5 and don't think i'm conning myself. Greatness is always in the face of naysayers I never give up and wan't to keep getting better, but Get i'm an 80's shooter and sometimes a low 70's guy because,well maybe I need to work harder. The people who have a vanity 10 handicap like the thread implied are kinda funny cause they can't even hit the ball.

This is definitely something a lot of us fall into. You get into a groove and you think "this is really how I should be playing". I know at any point I could start on a streak of pars with a birdie or 2, but I also know that's not my typically level of play right now. I know I have the ability to get there but just because I do it now and then doesn't mean it's my norm. It is, however, becoming more and more frequent to string pars together and score a birdie now and then. That's just how I know that I am actually improving.

I've certainly conned myself a few times playing this game but for whatever reason I never thought I "should" be better because I hit a few good shots. Just made sense to me that you'll over-achieve on a few shots just as you'll under-achieve.

I hit the ball well enough to shoot a 65 yes just inconsistently. 

That doesn't make any sense. You either do or you don't. If you hit the ball well enough to shoot 65 you would be consistently shooting in the 60's. 

Mike McLoughlin

Well that's a good point guy but your a 20 handicap miles from my level; Iv'e been playing since I was 9 years old and have play professional and collegiality. If you shoot a 100 and hit 2 great shots per round thinking I can go pro might have your head in the clouds a bit I will agree with that. 

Well that's a good point guy but your a 20 handicap miles from my level; Iv'e been playing since I was 9 years old and have play professional and collegiality. If you shoot a 100 and hit 2 great shots per round thinking I can go pro might have your head in the clouds a bit I will agree with that. 

Is the difference between a +5HC and a 5HC much larger than the difference between an 18HC and a 5HC?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Is the difference between a +5HC and a 5HC much larger than the difference between an 18HC and a 5HC

It depends li hu some guys hit it 235 yards are seniors and play to a scratch and others guy's are pro athletes who hit it 320 yards and look like pro's and play to a legitimate 11 handicap.

Note: This thread is 1039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!