IGNORED

2015 Barclays Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He didn't earn number 1 back, Jordan gave it to him. Honestly, the bad play by him is a true testament to golf, the ups and downs, ebb and flow, etc...

One day you are on top, the next you feel like a beginner...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He didn't earn number 1 back, Jordan gave it to him. Honestly, the bad play by him is a true testament to golf, the ups and downs, ebb and flow, etc...

One day you are on top, the next you feel like a beginner...

I would say Jordan LOST it not gave it to Rory.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Heard a quick blurb on TGC that Spieth played new irons at the Barclays...

Why would you change irons now and not wait until after the playoffs?

Doesn't look good for Titleist, although it makes sense they'd be anxious for him to play new irons.

Does not make sense to me... the casual observer. Wait ... until the new season begins.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

He just was never in good situations. Seemed like every shot I saw him take he was in a bad spot. Then when he actually had a decent drive and was set up for what should be a reasonable approach shot, he wasn't getting close enough for birdie.

That Par 5 at the end pretty much summed up the tournament for him. He was actually creeping back towards the cut line and then hit that drive into the rough. Thought he had enough to get it to the green and instead it ended up short and into whatever that rough/water was in front of the green.

Heard a quick blurb on TGC that Spieth played new irons at the Barclays...

Why would you change irons now and not wait until after the playoffs?

Doesn't look good for Titleist, although it makes sense they'd be anxious for him to play new irons.

Does not make sense to me... the casual observer. Wait ... until the new season begins.

That is crazy, finish the season then experiment with new irons.  Definitely a rookie mistake, too many guys have switched irons and struggled so Jordan should have learned from their experiences.  Even if he hit them well during practice rounds, having unfamiliar irons in your bag during a tournament is going to cause you to swing with less confidence.  Poor way to end a great season.

Joe Paradiso

That is crazy, finish the season then experiment with new irons.  Definitely a rookie mistake, too many guys have switched irons and struggled so Jordan should have learned from their experiences.  Even if he hit them well during practice rounds, having unfamiliar irons in your bag during a tournament is going to cause you to swing with less confidence.  Poor way to end a great season.

Well with the wrap around season, is there ever going to be a good time to switch? Let's assume he knows there is a several week or couple month break in period ... Perhaps he made a judgment that this was as good a time as any. Also, he is human ... Who's to say this performance had ANYTHING AT ALL to do with his new sticks??

Well with the wrap around season, is there ever going to be a good time to switch? Let's assume he knows there is a several week or couple month break in period ... Perhaps he made a judgment that this was as good a time as any.

Also, he is human ... Who's to say this performance had ANYTHING AT ALL to do with his new sticks??

I tend to agree with this sentiment. I'm not even sure why having new sticks would really bother him; they're already custom-fit to him to the nth degree anyways. It's not like he went into Golf Galaxy and bought a set of standards off the rack.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Well with the wrap around season, is there ever going to be a good time to switch? Let's assume he knows there is a several week or couple month break in period ... Perhaps he made a judgment that this was as good a time as any.

Also, he is human ... Who's to say this performance had ANYTHING AT ALL to do with his new sticks??

I think after the playoffs is a good time.

As to comments regarding new irons not making a difference, let's not fool ourselves. There is a difference with new clubs on the range, in practice rounds, and then under tournament pressure.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Tournaments in the early season aren't comparable to the FedEx playoffs in terms of prestige or prize money so I'd have waited.

He could have just had a bad day, we'll never know.   The clubs might not really be much different but for the pro's even slightly different could make them feel less confident or cause them to question the distance the ball will go.

Bubba Watson stuck with the S59's for years because he didn't like the newer versions.

Joe Paradiso

And they the announcers were surprised to see his lack of distance control so I bet it played a pretty big role.

If he was going to change, this isn't a bad time now that the majors are over. Lots of time to get acclimated before Augusta.

Maybe but, Winning the Fed Ex Cup. Pays a smidge more than winning the Masters.

I don't think he's that worried about that, though; being as he is already #1 in ranking points, it'd be hard to imagine that he'll be out of the top five come East Lake.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Went to the tournament today. It has been a long time since I've seen live golf. As someone pointed out, it's difficult to follow a specific player as they do walk very fast and crowds for the biggies get large. One of the best spots was 4 green, 5 tee. No one was down there since it was quite far away. Was a lot of fun seeing the players. Empanada food truck was great and the gift shop rocked.

All in all a good time but I wouldn't rush out to see a live tourney every year. Much more comfortable watching on the lazy couch in air conditioning.

Go Jason Day!

Impressive to see Ryan Palmer two shots off the lead after recently losing his father.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 3162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!