IGNORED

Bringing Drinks/Coolers on to the Course

colin007
Note: This thread is 1289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

28 members have voted

1. 1. Bringing outside alcohol on the course -

• Sure, i have no problem bringing a few brewskies from home to the course, i dont want to pay $5 for the beer and still have to tip the girl
    • Nope, i wouldnt do it because its taking revenue from the course. dont be a cheapskate.

so this was something that popped in my head due to the "taking a range ball" thread and the ethics of doing so.

many, if not most, of the courses i have been to have signs saying either "no outside drinks" or "no coolers" and i would take that to mean alcoholic beverages that have not been purchased at the course. nobody is going to mind if you bring a refillable water bottle, that would be dickish.

so, any thoughts to those who ignore those requests and hide their six pack of PBR in their golf bag or who have a small cooler covered by their windbreaker and head covers?

do/would you do it?

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its a violation of liquor laws.

Granted I've never believed in beer price gouging either, I despise courses that do that and TELL them when I accidently find one.

However its more about Dram shop insurance and liability that then gets placed on the course for stupid people doing stupid things, because we live in a backwards world where the idiots get to place blame on others for their own actions.

Well, no reason to limit it to beer right? The course I play in says right as you are walking in "No Food / Drink from outside" which in general terms means nothing right? That would include water too since I'm sure they want you to buy that as well. However, I will usually go to the course with a coffee, banana and other fruit if I want.. I walk in with the coffee in my hand and no one has said a word yet.. Now, if they ever ask me not to do it I would probably have to comply, but I wouldn't be happy about it.. Is it ethically right to do what I'm doing? I have no issue with it as I am walking in the place without hiding it, and if they had an issue they would say something.. I am interested in what others do though.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

oh shit no thats stupid.

I mean I say "cooler" because most people bring beer in a cooler.

No i've never had a problem with a water bottle, or a sandwich in a baggie, fruit.  I mean hell some people have special dietary drink mixes they need, or fruit for diabetes, etc. etc.

But unfortunately, because of a few block heads now everyone has to suffer with the "no outside food / Bev" everyone gets lumped into the same group.  =(

If it makes you feel better i've never yelled at people bringing small items... I did once have to go and tell a group they needed to stop their picnic on the 16th Tee though and continue playing their round... soooo.

It's pretty rare that I drink alcohol while golfing. I have though, both smuggled in beer/whiskey or purchased from the cart girl. I have no real qualms about drinking "outside beverages"  on the course. However, contrary to some of the dingbats posting in the rangeball thread I have no problem admitting that when I do sneak liquor onto the course I am clearly in the wrong.

I also don't really give a rats ass if someone snags a pretty little pearl from the range bucket, just don't try to justify it as being right.

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

It's pretty rare that I drink alcohol while golfing. I have though, both smuggled in beer/whiskey or purchased from the cart girl. I have no real qualms about drinking "outside beverages"  on the course. However, contrary to some of the dingbats posting in the rangeball thread I have no problem admitting that when I do sneak liquor onto the course I am clearly in the wrong.

I also don't really give a rats ass if someone snags a pretty little pearl from the range bucket, just don't try to justify it as being right.

so you do view it as being "clearly in the wrong"?

and....

Image result for beer golf club

Colin P.

I don't drink on the course but I voted no.  No cheapskate here ..... buuuuuut, I bring food and other liquid refreshment b/c I can't stand what the course offers.  I prefer vitamin drink vs Gatorade, healthy sandwich/fruit vs hotdog and other greasy stuff they sell.   My wife feels guilty of bringing food sometimes and order from cart girl just because.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I've gotten to the course with one bottle of soda I was drinking and took it with me. I don't hide multiples in my bag to drink throughout the round though. I just don't see the point in wasting what I bought because I didn't finish it before arriving. I've occasionally brought a snack like beef jerky or something too, but rarely. I've seen varying versions of the signs, some specify "no outside alcoholic beverages or coolers" other's are just the "no outside food or beverages". One thing that really bothers me is when I buy a bottle/can of something and it has "$1.00" on it and they charge $2.00 or more for it. *I drink a lot of the half and half/arnold palmer lemonade and ice teas which are labeled this way* I'll still buy them, but paying 2x or more for them does not sit well with me.

This is somewhat related to the movie theater and they crazy high prices on the snacks and drinks. I will admit that we've brought in our own snacks there more than once when we take the kids because, the one time we didn't and actually paid the counter cost for each of them to have their own.... Holy crap.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

so you do view it as being "clearly in the wrong"?

and....

More or less, yep. Sometimes I do things that are "wrong" but at least I own up to it instead of spewing some convoluted nonsense in an attempt to justify it. What can I say, I'm a bad ass mo-fo.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I've gotten to the course with one bottle of soda I was drinking and took it with me. I don't hide multiples in my bag to drink throughout the round though. I just don't see the point in wasting what I bought because I didn't finish it before arriving. I've occasionally brought a snack like beef jerky or something too, but rarely. I've seen varying versions of the signs, some specify "no outside alcoholic beverages or coolers" other's are just the "no outside food or beverages". One thing that really bothers me is when I buy a bottle/can of something and it has "$1.00" on it and they charge $2.00 or more for it. *I drink a lot of the half and half/arnold palmer lemonade and ice teas which are labeled this way* I'll still buy them, but paying 2x or more for them does not sit well with me.

This is somewhat related to the movie theater and they crazy high prices on the snacks and drinks. I will admit that we've brought in our own snacks there more than once when we take the kids because, the one time we didn't and actually paid the counter cost for each of them to have their own.... Holy crap.

Wow actually they are not legally able to charge MORE then the labeled price!! (the Arnie Palmer drinks)  love those things by the way...  maybe thats just in the states I've operated in...

Wow actually they are not legally able to charge MORE then the labeled price!! (the Arnie Palmer drinks)  love those things by the way...  maybe thats just in the states I've operated in...

Could be, it's like that at every course I've bought them from here in Ohio.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Cheapskate here, I will sometimes bring a 6-pack, when I am drinking. I hide the cooler under the cart seat (electric only).

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

More or less, yep. Sometimes I do things that are "wrong" but at least I own up to it instead of spewing some convoluted nonsense in an attempt to justify it. What can I say, I'm a bad ass mo-fo.

I am in the same camp as you.  I cannot say that I have not brought beer onto the course because I have.  I have also bought drinks from the cart girl and the clubhouse.

I will say this and it echoes some of my previous posts:  I want to be a good customer and a good advocate, I feel as a golfer if we want the golf courses to remain we need to do such ourselves to not add additional costs to their budgets through foolishness or being cheap.  I make it a point to support the courses I play on by paying to play there and also buying drinks, snacks, a glove, etc to support the club.

If they told me during the winter to not bring a cooler with stuff in it I could abide, but if they were to try and tell me right now not too (Florida) I would not be able to play.  I basically have hyper hydrosis and it is extremely important for me to keep multiple bottles of water, gatorade and salty snacks as well as a frozen towel or two (whoever gave me that tip thank you, it worked out wonderfully this weekend).  I was heat exhausted about a month ago on the 17th tee (almost yacked on it), and the coolers at both courses I have played many times do not have water in them. I want to support the business but they need to also respect that I have to do what I have to do.

Even if we have snuck a few beers on the course we always buy from the cart girl, and we don't go out to get drunk.  Besides, I have found that I prefer not to drink on course, especially when it is hot.

Lastly, I understand that there are repercussions to the golf course should we get caught with our own alcohol but we never see even a marshal out there let alone someone checking golfers for illegal beverages.

I bring my own water. Sometimes I refill my water bottle at the club house though....

I will continue to do so.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

One thing that really bothers me is when I buy a bottle/can of something and it has "$1.00" on it and they charge $2.00 or more for it. *I drink a lot of the half and half/arnold palmer lemonade and ice teas which are labeled this way* I'll still buy them, but paying 2x or more for them does not sit well with me.

Golf courses can't sell at the same price as mega retailers. They pay a higher price because they buy less quantity and sell less. The golf course didn't mark those prices on the product. It was either the manufacturer or distributor. You are going to pay more than you would at a regular retailer if you buy the same thing at an airport, concert, convenience store, restaurant etc.

Golf courses can't sell at the same price as mega retailers. They pay a higher price because they buy less quantity and sell less. The golf course didn't mark those prices on the product. It was either the manufacturer or distributor. You are going to pay more than you would at a regular retailer if you buy the same thing at an airport, concert, convenience store, restaurant etc.

Last concert we went too, mixed drink $11.50, 16 oz beer:  $13!  That was peculiar to me.

Liquor law violation. It's not only disrespectful to put the course at risk but there is potential for an encounter with the police. Our course has signs posted they will confiscate any outside booze and call the cops. After 3PM a sixer of pints is just $15 I can hack it.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 1289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!