IGNORED

Would you embarrass yourself for 200 K?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 3126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Would you show up and play in the Tour Championship if it meant you would earn an extra 200 K even if you never broke 100? By not showing up and completing the no cut Tour Championship, Jim Furyk cost himself about 200 K (an estimate of what last place in the Tour Championship will be paid plus extra bonus money he would have gotten with the 164 Fed Ex points 30th place in the TC earns). I completely understand why JF didn't show up with his bum wrist and Rory was recently quoted as saying $10 M doesn't mean much to him at this point, but would you consider playing 1 handed if you were someone like Daniel Berger with about $3 M in career earnings (including 209 K in 21 Web.com events in 2014)?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Would you show up and play in the Tour Championship if it meant you would earn an extra 200 K even if you never broke 100?

By not showing up and completing the no cut Tour Championship, Jim Furyk cost himself about 200 K (an estimate of what last place in the Tour Championship will be paid plus extra bonus money he would have gotten with the 164 Fed Ex points 30th place in the TC earns).

I completely understand why JF didn't show up with his bum wrist and Rory was recently quoted as saying $10 M doesn't mean much to him at this point, but would you consider playing 1 handed if you were someone like Daniel Berger with about $3 M in career earnings (including 209 K in 21 Web.com events in 2014)?

If I was in the position of someone who just needs the money, I would absolutely play at all costs. If it meant taking half swings or something that's fine, I could go enjoy a vacation while making two strolls around a beautiful golf course and occasionally swatting around a white ball.

$200,000 is no small amount to a lot of guys who haven't made it big. While you probably have a couple million in the bank if you've made it to the tour championship, I would still value 4x an average yearly salary over a minor amount of embarrassment provided that it didn't affect my ability to make a living in the future (ie. injure me to the point that I have to sit out in later events).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Would I? Sure. $200k is a lot of money to me. Hell, if they wanted to fill the field, they could have called me and I'd have "embarrassed" myself for free. Beyond that, I'm not sure I understand the question. Half the field "embarrasses" themselves at every PGA Tour event every week by missing the cut, and they earn nothing for doing so....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I embarrass myself for free every day. For $200K, I'll play while dressed as Little Bo Peep if that's what it takes.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I embarrass myself for free every day. For $200K, I'll play while dressed as Little Bo Peep if that's what it takes.

I embarrassed myself today and paid $50, no problem doing it and getting paid $200K.

Joe Paradiso

I think if you're a player like Berger, you would show up for the $200k almost no matter what.

It's interesting to think about where the "line in the sand" is.  If he is struggling a bit and knows he's going to shoot a 90 every day, that's one thing.  But what if he literally couldn't swing a club?  For $200k, would an injured Tour Pro show up with a cast on his wrist and see if he can just whack it around the course one-handed for four days to collect his check?  What if it was $950k?

- John

I have embarrassed myself for a hell of a lot less that $200K, so yeah I would show up, and collect my losing money.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I think if you're a player like Berger, you would show up for the $200k almost no matter what.

It's interesting to think about where the "line in the sand" is.  If he is struggling a bit and knows he's going to shoot a 90 every day, that's one thing.  But what if he literally couldn't swing a club?  For $200k, would an injured Tour Pro show up with a cast on his wrist and see if he can just whack it around the course one-handed for four days to collect his check?  What if it was $950k?

It would depend on who the player is. If they're struggling to get by, you better bet they'll show up and do whatever it takes to collect the check, even if it means holding the club in their teeth or playing on crutches.

It would depend on who the player is. If they're struggling to get by, you better bet they'll show up and do whatever it takes to collect the check, even if it means holding the club in their teeth or playing on crutches.

And...I would probably watch every minute of it.

- John

Would you show up and play in the Tour Championship if it meant you would earn an extra 200 K even if you never broke 100?

By not showing up and completing the no cut Tour Championship, Jim Furyk cost himself about 200 K (an estimate of what last place in the Tour Championship will be paid plus extra bonus money he would have gotten with the 164 Fed Ex points 30th place in the TC earns).

I completely understand why JF didn't show up with his bum wrist and Rory was recently quoted as saying $10 M doesn't mean much to him at this point, but would you consider playing 1 handed if you were someone like Daniel Berger with about $3 M in career earnings (including 209 K in 21 Web.com events in 2014)?

You're waaay off base.........

A most valuable asset to any touring pro is being healthy.   Playing injured can hurt can shorten careers...especially for an old guy like JF who's in the twilight of his career...........................missing a guaranteed $200k cut is small potatoes to most of these guys.  (especially for a guy like JF)  The same goes for Rory........$200K is a weekend road trip/party money.

Yea...if you're a rookie pro with no massive NIKE endorsements........he probably plays hurt to collect a big check.  I get that.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Imagine if a pro could put in a pinch golfer. The tour championship would be full of average joes/caddies that were playing just to get the prize money for their boss.

You're waaay off base......... A most valuable asset to any touring pro is being healthy.   Playing injured can hurt can shorten careers...especially for an old guy like JF who's in the twilight of his career...........................missing a guaranteed $200k cut is small potatoes to most of these guys.  (especially for a guy like JF)  The same goes for Rory........$200K is a weekend road trip/party money.   Yea...if you're a rookie pro with no massive NIKE endorsements........he probably plays hurt to collect a big check.  I get that.

How am I way off base? Did you read what I said in the OP? What you and I said isn't that different except that I assumed playing 1 handed wouldn't do further damage to the injured wrist. [quote name="MEfree" url="/t/84624/would-you-embarrass-yourself-for-200-k#post_1204563"]Would you show up and play in the Tour Championship if it meant you would earn an extra 200 K even if you never broke 100? By not showing up and completing the no cut Tour Championship, Jim Furyk cost himself about 200 K (an estimate of what last place in the Tour Championship will be paid plus extra bonus money he would have gotten with the 164 Fed Ex points 30th place in the TC earns). I completely understand why JF didn't show up with his bum wrist and Rory was recently quoted as saying $10 M doesn't mean much to him at this point, but would you consider playing 1 handed if you were someone like Daniel Berger with about $3 M in career earnings (including 209 K in 21 Web.com events in 2014)?[/quote]

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I am starting a collection and passing a hat around TST!!!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Seriously, that might be worth $200k just to see!

Of course, I'm sure that @dkolo would do the right thing and donate all of it to a charity picked by yours truly. :smartass:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Cool this is a standing offer for all, especially any bored billionaire lurkers

Seriously, that might be worth $200k just to see!

Of course, I'm sure that @dkolo would do the right thing and donate all of it to a charity picked by yours truly.

Yeah, the United @dkolo College Loan Fund, haha

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Note: This thread is 3126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!