IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Finally the first few courses around here has opened for the season and I got my first 2 rounds of the season (In Norway) this weekend. 

On Saturday I played a great round of 81 shots at Grenland (Par 72, 6350 yards, rating 72,7 & slope 141): 

Hole 1 (360 yards par 4) - Pulled the drive 220 yards into the woods on the right, hacked it out to the rough and made a decent PW to the middle of the green that ran to the back fringe. Up'n'down from there. Bogey 

Hole 2 (365 yards par 4 - dogleg right) - Hit my 5 iron fat, but straight to the right side of the fairway. Thought I hit a great 2nd shot, but underestimated the wind and ended up i FW 15 yards short of the green. Chip and 2 putts. Bogey

Hole 3 (130 yards par 3) - Hit a soft AW to 15 feet. Bed speed on the 1st downhill putt sent it 5 feet past the cup and I missed the return. 3-putt bogey. 

Hole 4  (500 yards par 5) - Hit a fantastic 4 iron 255 yards to FW, and hit another great 5 iron to the right rough just short of pin high on the next. Had to chip it over the greenside bunker (around 25 yards to the pin) and did a decent effort, leaving me with 11 feet for birdie. Needed 2 putts though. Par.

Hole 5 (355 yards par 4) - Hit a fat cut with my 5 iron to the semi rough on the left side that left me with 160 yards and some treetrouble left. Overcutt my 8 iron a bit from there and ended up in the semi rough pin high on the left side. A good shot though. Chipped it to 4 feet, but could not sink it for par. Bogey

Hole 6 (145 yards par 3) - Hit a low cutt into the wind with my PW that left me with 15 feet for birdie. Made the putt for birdie! Great hole! 

Hole 7 (510 yards par 5, with hazards and OB in play on both sides all the way to the green and across the fairway at 200-270 yards) Hit a horrible 7 iron in the water to the right from tee. Took a drop around 140 yards out and made good contact with my 5 iron from there, unfortunately I pulled it a bit and ended up in trouble again to the right. Had to hack my way back into the FW from there. Needed to hit a draw to get to the green from there, but hit it straight. Made the up'n'down for a 7 though. Bad hole! Double bogey!

Hole 8 (385 yards par 4) - Smoked a 4 iron 250 yards to FW, AW to 18 feet and 2 putts for par. Very good hole! Par! 

Hole 9 (350 yards par 4) - Anothe fat 5 iron from tee to FW, left with 155 yards. Hit my approach 1 yard to far left and bounced into the lake next to the green pin high (a bit unlucky). Made the up'n'down for bogey. 

43 shots on the front. A bit of everything really. 

Hole 10 (150 yards par 3, 12 yards uphill and into wind today) - Hit a 9 iron that I thought was money, but still ended up just short of the green in the steap hill leading up to it. Good chip to around 4 feet. Tricky downhill putt that where I had to aim a good foot outside the hole, just missed it low and it still ran out 5 feet past the hole. Made the return. Bogey. 

Hole 11 (450 yards par 5, narrow, dogleg left and bit uphill all the way to the green) - Good 5 iron from tee. Thinned my 2nd, but it still did the job and left me with 150 yards in. Made a great shot from there and was left with 14 feet for birdie. Made the putt. Birdie! 

Hole 12 (380 yards par 4) - It is plenty of space to the left here som I went with driver for the 2nd time today. Low, short banana to the neighbour FW that left me with 210 yards in. Hit a great 5 iron to the right fringe from there and mede a decent chip to 5 feet from there. Managed to miss another short putt. Bogey.

Hole 13 (340 yards par 4) - Hit a great 5 iron that left me with 140 yards from there. Hit a very good AW from there to 15 feet and a very trick pin location (upside down bowl part of the green where everything runs away from the flag). Hit a great first putt that lipped out and settled 1 inch from the cup. Great hole! Par. 

Hole 14 (420 yards par 4 - uphill into wind) - Plenty of space to the right on this one so I went with driver again. Another short, low banana, but this time I aimed far enough right so I ended up in the FW with 200 yards left. Hit a great 5 iron to the fringe from there and made the up'n'down. Par! 

Hole 15 (150 yards par 3, down hill into wind) - Decided to go for a soft low 9 iron. Felt and looked like money, but ende up in the rough 2 yards short of the green and 5 yards short of the pin. Chipped it to 2 inches. Par. 

Hole 16 (510 yards par 5) - Plenty of space to the right (next to hole 14) so I went with driver again. A decent hit, but still way to much cutt left me with 235 left. Smoked my 5 iron from there to the fringe just short of pin high. 10 yards to the pin and mede the up'ndown for a birdie. 

Hole 17 (380 yards par 4) - Very tough hole. Decent 4 iron to left rough with 165 yards left. Pulled the approach a bit and ended up 15 yards right of the green. Needed 2 putts the 9 feet my chip left me. Bogey.

Hole 18 (390 yards par 4) - Ok hit with 4 iron, but cutt it too much. Ended up with a bad downhill lie and 160 yards in. Fatted a 9 iron from there and was left with 35 yards. Chipped it to 8 feet and missed the putt. Bogey. 

38 on the back 9 is great, with me feeling I played great. 

81 total is agreat start to the season, and I still felt I left a lot of strokes out there. 

57% fairway - 39% greens and 29 putts! (missed quite a few short ones as well) 

I've already forgotten the 92 I shot on Sunday 😛

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Have played 25 holes before today this spring. Weather has been dreadful here. Haven’t hit a ball since March 18 before this evening. So of course our golf league started today. I was dreadful. Didn’t hit many good golf shots. First hole barely hit my drive off the ground. Still had 195 in for my 3rd shot. Hey at least it was a par 5 I guess. Hell I should be happy with bogey. At 2 they are playing a temporary tee. Shortest par 3 I’ve played in a while. Bladed they wedge over the green tho. At 3 I hit the green in reg, but 3 putted. 4 I had ball above my feet on my approach. Aimed right and my 7 iron went dead right 15 yards of the green, short sided. Was a nitemare and a pick up double. At 5, the hole was playing as far as I’ve ever seen it play. Good 5 iron and a bomb of a putt. Birdie. Woo hoo! Excitement short lived tho when I pull hooked my 7 iron approach 20 yards left. At 7 I hit a fat 9 iron short. Then at 8 I dumped a 100 yard approach short right into the trap. 9 I made a 2 putt par…. Better days will come. They always do. Just gotta keep reminding myself that!

Edited by Dunit507
  • Like 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

Have played 25 holes before today this spring. Weather has been dreadful here. Haven’t hit a ball since March 18 before this evening. So of course our golf league started today. I was dreadful. Didn’t hit many good golf shots. First hole barely hit my drive off the ground. Still had 195 in for my 3rd shot. Hey at least it was a par 5 I guess. Hell I should be happy with bogey. At 2 they are playing a temporary tee. Shortest par 3 I’ve played in a while. Bladed they wedge over the green tho. At 3 I hit the green in reg, but 3 putted. 4 I had ball above my feet on my approach. Aimed right and my 7 iron went dead right 15 yards of the green, short sided. Was a nitemare and a pick up double. At 5, the hole was playing as far as I’ve ever seen it play. Good 5 iron and a bomb of a putt. Birdie. Woo hoo! Excitement short lived tho when I pull hooked my 7 iron approach 20 yards left. At 7 I hit a fat 9 iron short. Then at 8 I dumped a 100 yard approach short right into the trap. 9 I made a 2 putt par…. Better days will come. They always do. Just gotta keep reminding myself that!

I forgot the best part of this and it won’t let me edit again. We are defending league champs and handicap picks up where we ended last season. I played this great 9 holes of golf and was getting one lousy shot! That was on 2. Partner made a net birdie. My only contribution was the birdie at 5, but partner had a net birdie with a handicap stroke…. So I did nothing! Hey at least next week I should be a 3 or 4 and I should be dangerous with a handful of shots!

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

First round of the season, played a course designed by architect Devereux Emmet (Copake), shot about bogey golf (86). 40 putts, including four 3-putts and no 1-putts.  Stats show that's about a 24 hcp putting.  7 GIR.  No penalty shots. Good workout on the course, quite a bit of elevation gain. Fantastic course.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

8 hours ago, mohearn said:

First round of the season, played a course designed by architect Devereux Emmet (Copake), shot about bogey golf (86). 40 putts, including four 3-putts and no 1-putts.  Stats show that's about a 24 hcp putting.  7 GIR.  No penalty shots. Good workout on the course, quite a bit of elevation gain. Fantastic course.

Sounds like you had a good round tee-to-green. I guess your puttingnumbers would be a lot better if it wasn't your first round on the course. 

Edited by Troy Ocker
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

94 (47 / 47) at Minnesott today.  Nothing out of the ordinary, best part of the round was 8 thru 14 where I played just 4 over (4 bogies, 3 pars).  A fun round with my son who struggled some but he worked out a 91.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Shot 78 today with no birdies. Pretty pleased with it as it was cold and windy here in Mississippi. Very similar to what they were dealing with at Augusta. Of course the golf course I played was not quite up to their standards. Ha. 

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

played a 9-hole round at my home course.. ended up with a 43..

i had too many double-bogies for my liking, but had a put for eagle on hole 5 (par 5).. had a good drive on a dogleg right which left me with 217 meter to the flag.. hit my 3-wood solidly and ended up landing on the green and rolling a bit too far even.. my put for eagle (about 12 meter) ended up being about 40 cm too far left as there was less break than I had hoped.. ended up with a birdy and so I still have to wait for my first eagle (this was my second eagle put ever, and on the same hole as the last time, but this time without assistance of heavy backwind, so this one felt like the first "real" opportunity based on my game and not due to extraordinary external influences)

• Thumbs Up 1

cheers Chris

Played my 64th round of the year yesterday.  Played Pinehurst #6 once again. Started off well with pars on the first two holes then two consecutive bogeys. From the 5th holes on I shot even. Two birdies on the back along with two bogeys. Had 11 fairways, 10 GIRs and 30 putts. 4 up and downs to save par.  Weather was cool then turned cold on the back nine. We even had some light hail!

went to the south of the Netherlands this weekend and played one of my best rounds ever.. played an 84 on a course I have never played.. i had one birdie and 7 pars.. 41 stableford points with a day-result of 13.6 hcp (which brought me down to hcp 17.6)

cheers Chris

Windy round today and started by driving it into the left fairway bunker, topped an 8 out and dribbled it to 176 and smoked a 6 iron to 5 feet to miss the birdie, but easy par. Hole 2 I thinned a wedge into the back bunker, thinned it to the fairway 30 yards out for double. Missed an up/down on 3. Par 4, Bogey 5 with another thinned wedge, stick my approach into 6 to 2 feet for the bird, hit 5 wood pin high onto the fringe of the par 5 and walk with par, made an 8 footer for birdie on 8 from 160 and made a routine par on 9 for a WTH 38. 

Hole 10, bunker shot to 2 feet and save, bunker shot on 11 to 10 feet and miss, 12 missed the green and bogey,  13 cracked a 7 iron to 18 inches for birdie 3, 14 lipped out birdie for tap in par, 15 bogey, 16 OB bogey (on iron shot hitting tree), 17 push into trees and hit wedge through window to 5 feet and birdie 4.  Finally on 18, hit 4 iron off the tee downwind, wedge to 7 feet and routine par and a 39 for a 77 total. 

Overall, I was happy to hit some great shots, not happy about 2 thinned wedges that cost me a bunch and one partial shank that was out of no where.  I will take the score and run! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Shot 79 today, 15 GIR/nGIR, 28 putts, and 2 penalty strokes (lost drive on #17).

Previous four rounds were 92, 88, 85, and 89, so it was nice to play decent golf for 18 holes and sneak in a round in the 70s. Full swing felt in control and balanced today, however I saved my two worse swings of the day for my tee shots on #17 (lost ball) and #18 (topped about 10 yards). Short game was really sharp today, and helped get a bunch of pars from nGIR. Greens were aerated so putting was unpredictable, but I think it helped/hindered equally and balanced out - overall I think I putted well considering the surfaces.

Strokes gained vs. target 5 HCP

• Tee = -2.33
  • Approach = -0.57
  • Short game = +0.68
  • Putting = +0.45
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Thursday- Carson Valley Golf Course, Gardnerville, NV, 92 (48/44)

Friday - Sunridge Golf Course, Carson City, NV, 91 (49/42)

Both days were rough.  I struck the ball well, but my aim was not true.  I totaled 5 OB penalties over the two rounds (3 on Thursday, and 2 on Friday).  It wasn’t just my driver, even a couple irons led me astray.  I put the driver away and focused on course management with the irons and seemed to play better.  This is something I plan to focus on in the future until I can figure out my aiming/swing path issues.

Edited by nvkevin

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

A fine day for golf, 50 degrees, sunshine a bit of wind.

Played a Robert Trent Jones designed course, one of the New York State park courses (James Baird). Shot good solid bogey golf. First the positives: driving scored out at a +1 HCP equivalent. I have to be so happy about that. My short game, 100 yard and in scored out at HCP 5, approaches so-so.  But putting again was not as positive as it needs to be: I had 40 putts, with four 3-putts, and scored equivalent to a 26 HCP putter. Clearly this isn't sustainable.  My buddy gave me lots of good advice including marking up the ball, having alignment marks on the putter, reading the break etc.  I'm pretty sure it's mental. I have a mallet putter (Rossie) I can use, but that seems like giving up. 

Positives: Driving, bring it on.  I don't have the distance of the young guys in their 50's, but I am competitive.  Short game solid. Always room for improvement, but the winter practice has helped. Approach game ok, had 2 holes that I f'd up. and also, a bit of an excuse, I hit 3-wood a few times having not really practiced much off the deck. 

Negatives: Might be putting. Short putts, under 8 feet. Improvement plan, sink more putts from short range. 

About the course: James Baird is a great course to play.  Difficult from the blue tees and challenging from all. It doesn't get the accolades that Bethpage gets, but it's part of the same network of NYS parks courses and always a treat to play. At $20 walking 18 holes, can't be beat.

Mike

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Larned Country Club, Larned, Kansas

Front nine, 47 from the Blues

Back nine, 44 from the Blues

A short 9 hole course. Beautiful day, wind under 10 mph. 

Played 27 holes but did not keep score the last 9 holes. 

Not to bad for a 75 year old. 

However, now I need to rest up for a couple of days. 

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

Fortunate to get another round in today at James Baird State Park. Rain all night so soggy conditions, but stopped right at tee time so off we go.  

One thing I learned today, was that on a wet and soggy course even just a slightly fat shot is penalized quite  bit. I need to be more precise. Get away with things when the course is dry. But it wasn't bad.

3rd round this year, things trending positive. Still had three 3-putts, but also had four 1-putts, for 35 total. One birdie on a par 4 sinking a 28 foot putt. Only 3 GIR today, missed consistently short. Our whole foursome was consistently short today and we pondered why that would be.  50 degree wet weather?

Kept stats, Driver was scratch equivalent, putting a 19 HCP. No penalty shots and not in any trouble off the tee so that's probably why driver's score was good. I've been working on my bunker play, hit 3 today (short, front of green) but converted 2.  When I say I've been working on bunker play, its been too wet outside to do any real practice, so I've just visualized good bunker shots.  Putting continues to challenge. Need to set a goal but haven't yet figured out what it should be. 

Playing again Friday.

Mike

Today was the return to Lane Tree in Goldsboro, NC.  It has been two years since we last played it, so it was good to return.  This course is two "styles" of course as the front nine is parkland style and the back nine is more along the links style.  The last time I played, I really struggled to a 112.  Today started great with an up and down par and then it settled into bogie golf with a few doubles and even an triple.  Finished with a 95 (47/48).  Plenty of work with the wedges as I was coming up short on the approaches (typically less than 25 yds. out) - way to go Cleveland CBX's.  Hope to get back there again soon. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Now up to just 43 holes played on the season. Was week 2 of our league and it’s still a struggle for me. I avoided the double. Only managed to make 3 pars though. Wound up 6 over. Catching 2 strokes so net 4 over. I should be no worse than even or better weekly and until I am the week is a fail.

There are some positives. Ball striking and just my overall comfort level on the course was as good as it’s been all year so far. I kept it in play. I hit a few drives on the screws. I really was quite crisp with my irons. I just need to dial in my wedges some. 3 times I missed the green with a wedge. One of them I got up and down. Right there is 2 strokes plus lost birdie opportunities. 2 of the 3 were all over the pin but hit deep. Can’t miss long to a back pin. I was being aggressive and with a wedge why not. One of those 2 landed an inch from being a slam dunk…. But I was coming from the rough and had no spin. Should have played it shorter, wanted to play it shorter. 

On the green I hit a couple from the 10-20 foot range that I thought were in. I was about to start walking down the putt at 15 for birdie. Somehow it stayed out. Did have one 3 putt. Had to get up one side of a hill to get it to come back down the other side with a big bend… I ran it about 6 feet by but I thought I hit a decent putt. Just wasn’t really gonna get that close many times. The comebacker should have gone in. Hit another good putt. Feel as though I putted better than the 17 it took to get through the day.

Overall feeling better on the course. Partner and I did come in -1 together. Tied for 1st place points for the night and neither of us are playing close to what we will play when we are in form. I’ve been tracking my birdie percentage… it’s down to 4.65% on the year. I am going to need to make a couple next time!

• Like 1