Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iacas

Share your New Strokes Gained Data from GAME Golf!

Note: This thread is 864 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

344 posts / 27873 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I was only going by behavior, should have noted that with less "certainty". I'll be more careful next time around.

The strokes gained appears to indicate general weaknesses very accurately even if the hole locations are not edited and recorded exactly. All the people I play with move pretty quickly, and there isn't really enough time to edit the hole location on the app very easily. Plus, the zoom feature becomes a grid when I try to zoom into what I think is the appropriate scale. So, I just live with the larger short game strokes gained statistics. It seems to somewhat even out with enough rounds?

Very happy with the application so far. My spending money on myself account will accrue enough to get the GG Live unit in a couple months, as I am still paying off my new iPhone 6S plus. In retrospect, I probably didn't need the maximum memory option. :-P

@Lihu, you should be editing your rounds after the fact (or putting the flag in the right spot during your round). It doesn't "even out" like you think it does. GIGO - garbage in, garbage out.

22 minutes ago, glinks said:

Thank you for your reply, it looks fine.
Another question about GPS accuracy.
How the devise records the lie when the ball is on the border of the rough and the fairway?

You look at it and move the lie enough so it registers the right thing. The maps don't always fit 100% perfectly to the lines cut on the course that you see on the map, but you rarely have to move a shot too far to get it to register. Not enough to change the distance you hit the shot, really.

BTW, my latest is…

56eacf135e99f_ScreenShot2016-03-17at11.3

I've been a bit carefree with the short game. Failing to pick landing spots, being lazy and just taking my 3 wedge to shots that should be hit with a 1 or 2 wedge… that sort of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

@Lihu, you should be editing your rounds after the fact (or putting the flag in the right spot during your round). It doesn't "even out" like you think it does. GIGO - garbage in, garbage out.

Yeah, thinking about this further the putting stats will be way off, just like they are in my stats. It's not at all accurate as far as the magnitude of the change, but it is very accurate that those are my glaring weaknesses at this point.

GIGO for now, and when I get better at these things I can start editing the holes as you mention. Still working on improving my long game, though. Lot's more work there. I want the nice flights I get off a mat on the course. I don't consider thinning and rolling onto a green to be good enough. Plus, long game is much more fun and satisfying to work on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

 

You look at it and move the lie enough so it registers the right thing. The maps don't always fit 100% perfectly to the lines cut on the course that you see on the map, but you rarely have to move a shot too far to get it to register. Not enough to change the distance you hit the shot, really.

indeed, it is a good solution.

 

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

BTW, my latest is…

56eacf135e99f_ScreenShot2016-03-17at11.3

I've been a bit carefree with the short game. Failing to pick landing spots, being lazy and just taking my 3 wedge to shots that should be hit with a 1 or 2 wedge… that sort of thing.

You used Strokes VS scratch for your statistics
I am 18 HCP, I can use Strokes Vs 20 ...
How is the HCP adapted? I guess the calculations are made from the Pro Baseline used on the PGA tour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Lihu said:

GIGO for now, and when I get better at these things I can start editing the holes as you mention. Still working on improving my long game, though. Lot's more work there. I want the nice flights I get off a mat on the course. I don't consider thinning and rolling onto a green to be good enough. Plus, long game is much more fun and satisfying to work on.

You're polluting your future results and trends, too. I'd start eliminating the "GI" part now, because the "GO" part will continue on for a long time.

Heck, I'd even consider, if I were you, closing and re-starting your account (if you can do that).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're polluting your future results and trends, too. I'd start eliminating the "GI" part now, because the "GO" part will continue on for a long time.

Heck, I'd even consider, if I were you, closing and re-starting your account (if you can do that).

Ouch! I plan to play over 100 rounds this year, and hopefully that should throw out the bad data within a year or so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Plus, I'm waiting for the hole end feature. Which will improve the putting stats. I'm really happy with the long game stats and it really shows that my long irons need improvement. Tired of hitting those low rolling shots with them. Although, I kind of knew everything even before GG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Plus, I'm waiting for the hole end feature. Which will improve the putting stats.

I think you're going to be waiting for a long time on that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think you're going to be waiting for a long time on that one.

Bummer. :-(

 

Okay, I'm going to take the time to fix the holes from now on. I just hate to make people wait too long before or after I tee off the next hole. . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Okay, I'm going to take the time to fix the holes from now on. I just hate to make people wait too long before or after I tee off the next hole. . .

So do it after your round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, iacas said:

So do it after your round.

I don't remember the pin placements to within a couple feet of accuracy. It'd probably be like 4-6 feet off?

How do you guys edit greens after playing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I don't remember the pin placements to within a couple feet of accuracy. It'd probably be like 4-6 feet off?

How do you guys edit greens after playing?

I edit every round. The data that goes in is important to get the right data coming out.

You don't remember if your putt on a hole was 10 feet or 16 feet hours after playing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I edit every round. The data that goes in is important to get the right data coming out.

You don't remember if your putt on a hole was 10 feet or 16 feet hours after playing?

Oh, I get it. You just edit the lengths of the putts, and not the map and shoving those little icons around? Of course. :doh:

Yes, that should be pretty quick to edit, as it's usually just the last putt that's off anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Oh, I get it. You just edit the lengths of the putts, and not the map and shoving those little icons around? Of course. :doh:

No, you edit the little dots, and you watch the distance as you're doing it so it's in the right place with the right distance.

This isn't really a tech support thread… ;-) C'mon @Lihu. :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also edit every round which involves moving maybe 1/3rd of the flag positions and adding any penalty strokes.  I enjoy the process of reviewing a round.

To help my poor memory I make note on my scorecard of approximate distance and direction of any last putt greater than 2 feet (i.e. 6sw = 6 foot putt in a southwest direction).  It's easy to do, only takes a second and helps me remember the flag positions.

(I have a problem of forgetting if I tagged and then re-tagging a shot on the course.  This is purely my error/problem.  The system allows you to remove those in the edit process which I have to do way more than I should and I'd guess way more than most others.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I also edit every round which involves moving maybe 1/3rd of the flag positions and adding any penalty stokes.  I enjoy the process of reviewing a round.

To help my poor memory I make note on my scorecard of approximate distance and direction of any last putt greater than 2 feet (i.e. 6sw = 6 foot putt in a southwest direction).  It's easy to do, only takes a second and helps me remember the flag positions.

(I have a problem of forgetting if I tagged and then re-tagging a shot on the course.  This is purely my error/problem.  The system allows you to remove those in the edit process which I have to do way more than I should and I'd guess way more than most others.)

That's good.

I'm kind of out of sight out of mind when it comes to remembering rounds and stuff. This is why GG has made the the laziest golfers around who is trying to improve. I just follow the insights. :whistle:

Penalties are easy to add, so I do that from where I need to take a drop.

It's the in between time where I am holding the flagstick for partners or aimpointing the greens that doesn't give me much time. The tee box is generally the only place, and we usually wait in line for the shot as soon as it clears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, Lihu said:

Penalties are easy to add, so I do that from where I need to take a drop.

It's the in between time where I am holding the flagstick for partners or aimpointing the greens that doesn't give me much time. The tee box is generally the only place, and we usually wait in line for the shot as soon as it clears.

you can't effectively edit pin placements mid-round.  you have to do it afterwards. 

 

adding shots or penalty strokes are one thing, but moving the marker really requires a computer.

Edited by dsc123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, dsc123 said:

you can't effectively edit pin placements mid-round.  you have to do it afterwards. 

 

adding shots or penalty strokes are one thing, but moving the marker really requires a computer.

I agree. Probably the best way is to take a picture of my last putt and ball, then editing when I get home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Penalties are easy to add, so I do that from where I need to take a drop.

It's the in between time where I am holding the flagstick for partners or aimpointing the greens that doesn't give me much time. The tee box is generally the only place, and we usually wait in line for the shot as soon as it clears.

I have Game Golf Classic (not live).  I edit at home after the round.  I sure wouldn't want to do any editing on the course, I don't like the distraction.  For that matter, I very, very seldom pull out my cell phone on a course... maybe once in 10 rounds when I'm expecting an important call from a Doctor or something like that... or to take an occasional picture while waiting for a group ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 864 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2019 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Posts

    • Only slight overrated. I don't think there is any more buzz around it than it did. It's not like they pulled in 'million dollah sponsors' or anything to begin with.   I don't blame Inkster and Co. for overselling it a bit. I would if I were her. But yeah, the whole things a bit meh.    
    • OK I have been stewing over this topic since I first saw it.  So here goes my "Etiquette Confession" This takes me way back, like way back.  Senior year in High School.  District Golf Tourney.  I was ranked #2 in the District which was pretty decent.  I was the 2nd Golfer off the tee and the entire District and all of the H.S Coaches are watching.  I was so nervous I literally almost peed myself. I wanted to go to Regionals so bad that year and then hopefully State. So I grab this chunk of wood attached to a steel rod with electricians tape for a grip and tee off (My Persimmon 3 Wood).  I played a fade back then and I had it down pat. Well not only did I pull the ball but I also hit a Draw while playing a Fade.  I crushed my tee shot.  It flew over the 18th fairway that ran parallel to the 1st fairway and sure enough it looks as if it goes O.B.   One of the guys from another H.S starts laughing loud and hard and loudly states "That's the longest Drive I have ever seen"  Let me add that the two of us had tied earlier in a duel match so we had a side bet going on this round. I pull out a provisional and I just drilled it the exact same way in the exact same spot.  Now my shoulders drop and I go to my bag for my 3rd golf ball. #3 - Identical to the first two, I am lost and have no idea what golf is any longer.  I go over to my bag and pick it up and the same guy asks if I am going to hit a 4th ball and I said "No, one of them will be in bounds" Ok I get to all 3 balls, they are all in the same spot so it was very easy to grab 2 of them.  The 3rd ball was a lousy 3 inches O.B.  I looked back at the entire group and they were all staring at me.  I hit that ball from where it laid, Out of Bounce!.   I never called it - it didn't matter at that point.  I finished 2nd to last in the entire field.  Even when I was in 7th Grad playing in this same District Tourney I never even came close to that. So there, my "Etiquette Confession" and I still am upset over that day. 🙂 
    • Sharper, better lit, night time golf swing vids coming soon?
    • Getting the best sand wedge for you involves more than just hunting for some all-occasions Magic Club. To be a decent bunker player, you need a SW with a head and grind which matches your normal turf conditions, and proper technique. Traditional wisdom (above) says that if you play out of very firm sand, you want a SW with lower bounce. This means the clubhead will cut through the sand and not get hung up in it. If you play in fluffy or powdery sand, you want a high bounce wedge that will glide through the powder without digging in too much. @iacas explains additional aspects of bounce in his forum Edel Wedges (or "Super Bounce") Then there is technique. For starters, access @mvmac's forum on How to Hit Sand/Bunker Shots.  An excellent video begins the thread. If you have a history of bad experiences in the sand, you take a bunker lesson. A good instructor could help you incorporate the basics into your swing.
    • I've been Playing Golf for: I played lots as a youngster (from age 4 to 15), but haven't ever taken golf seriously until this season. I had played ~6 rounds in the last 10 years. I am 30 years old My current handicap index or average score is: If the course is 6500 yards, I tend to play in the upper 90s. My typical ball flight is: either a high fade or a mid-high pull on bad contact. When I feel that I have hit it good, it goes straight The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: pulling mid to mid-short iron shots I've put off doing this because I was afraid of what I might see, and I generally like how I strike the ball when it is good. I finally busted out the tripod today to get some clips for review and to post here especially. I hope I can get some good info out of this and will hopefully be updating this regularly (maybe 1 time per week). Thanks, and Cheers! Videos:   
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Aj_ ninja
      Aj_ ninja
      (33 years old)
    2. Bay20
      Bay20
      (54 years old)
    3. boomer15
      boomer15
      (44 years old)
    4. ckeller52
      ckeller52
      (63 years old)
    5. Drmizz
      Drmizz
      (48 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...