IGNORED

Share your New Strokes Gained Data from GAME Golf!

iacas
Note: This thread is 2508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pretty cool to see GG deliver this change! I think their user community will benefit by more accurately assessing where the strokes are lost (or gained). Putting coaches might be a bit dismayed by the lack of future business though. :-P

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

GG Strokes Gained.jpgGG SG Recs.jpg

I'll buy it. All of these tips are areas I have identified as in need of improvement, though I view the "Off the Tee" as in general rather than just on short par 4s which is a little odd to me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 hour ago, billchao said:

I'll buy it. All of these tips are areas I have identified as in need of improvement, though I view the "Off the Tee" as in general rather than just on short par 4s which is a little odd to me.

Their tips are currently not worth a ton… they're far too specific and tell you nothing about HOW to do it. @david_wedzik and I will look to help them with those…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Their tips are currently not worth a ton… they're far too specific and tell you nothing about HOW to do it. @david_wedzik and I will look to help them with those…

I don't know if they tweaked anything but they used to be completely useless. Now at least they line up with what I know to be areas in need of improvement.

They used to tell me to work on my 200 yard approachs from the rough or something. Hello, I wouldn't need to be hitting 200 yard approach shots if I didn't put my tee shot in the woods to begin with.

But yea, the HOW would be a big help. GameGolf and GamePlan maps?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

21 hours ago, iacas said:

Strokes Gained Putting Update

The Strokes Gained formula was re-done starting today, and so new data is available in everyone's Insights. Here are my new stats, which align more closely with what I think should be accurate:

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-27%20at%203.41.5

Awesome, any idea what the fix was?

Also, I know they use the Broadie cutoff for short game...have you guys ever had a discussion about the merit of using 60?

Edited by cutchemist42

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Awesome, any idea what the fix was?

Yeah. They used better data.

Users, it turns out, were mostly sloppy with how they entered data, so they proved unreliable. Enough users put in enough good data to be quite reliable, but figuring out which of those users (or even which holes they accurately edited) was pretty close to impossible.

4 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Also, I know they use the Broadie cutoff for short game...have you guys ever had a discussion about the merit of using 60?

Yes. Discussions are ongoing. :-)

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Here's my updated stats of comparing to 15-handicap. 

Stephen P.png

Looks like you should work on your putting.

Which of these three keys are suffering most?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah from reading LSW,  I know the 3 elements and for me, I think it is speed. 3 putt almost once every 9 holes from going too long. Have ruined a few good chips as well with putts going too long.A decent number of the long misses hit the hole, they just skip over the hole or roll around the cup. I dont think Im giving the ones that hit the outer parts of the hole a chance to drop in because of a  higher speed. There have times where I pray the ball hits the hole just to slow it down.

I can miss short, but my short miss is never a 3 putt. (Im guessing that might be common)

I spent so much of my practise working on full shots with driver/irons because I A) wanted to fit in with my friends in any given round as quickly as possible since starting golf last summer, and B)realised the importance of it from LSW. Figured I would work on putting down the road.

Edited by cutchemist42

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

After I posted, I came across this thread. Think this contains a lot of help for me.

Here's my updated stats

IMG_0722.PNG

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 3 months later...

I often look at the SG info for the round I just played, just out of curiosity. (I know, it's supposed to be better for more rounds combined, but ...)

Anyway, I played 18 holes today after work (finished just as the sun was setting!), and this is how my data turned out, compared with a 15-handicapper:
58900336a844b_SG31Jan17.jpg.e4a6e7c3156dc871f4af50ebbea8c1c0.jpg

But here are the improvement tips:
589003384e107_SGtips31Jan17.jpg.88778a9d1a0056586706c3fa896d70b6.jpg

Question:  If I lost 1.55 strokes on approach shots (vs a 15 capper), how am I "better than 15 handicap golfers in all areas of approach"?  Has anyone else run into this "better than ... in all areas of ..." but still losing strokes in that category (@RandallT or anyone else)?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I often look at the SG info for the round I just played, just out of curiosity. (I know, it's supposed to be better for more rounds combined, but ...)

Anyway, I played 18 holes today after work (finished just as the sun was setting!), and this is how my data turned out, compared with a 15-handicapper:
58900336a844b_SG31Jan17.jpg.e4a6e7c3156dc871f4af50ebbea8c1c0.jpg

But here are the improvement tips:
589003384e107_SGtips31Jan17.jpg.88778a9d1a0056586706c3fa896d70b6.jpg

Question:  If I lost 1.55 strokes on approach shots (vs a 15 capper), how am I "better than 15 handicap golfers in all areas of approach"?  Has anyone else run into this "better than ... in all areas of ..." but still losing strokes in that category (@RandallT or anyone else)?

I don't know. That doesn't make much sense.

22 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Has anyone else run into this "better than ... in all areas of ..." but still losing strokes in that category (@RandallT or anyone else)?

It happened again with another round.  This time my short game is lacking, losing 2.36 strokes vs a 15 handicapper.  But the good news is that I'm better in all areas of my short game than 15-handicappers!  :hmm:

5891457368d15_SG31Jan17.jpg.d31f5b55e146085eeb6f87abe172791f.jpg58914577ba2c1_SGtips31Jan.jpg.18dd461b34a6ad15c66c8d063837f24a.jpg 

Craig

• Administrator

I'll ask them about it.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I see they've changed the strokes gained page this week.  I haven't had time to play with yet.

59094ef772514_newstrokesgainedscreen.jpg.1aa6664df4d8499f9fb320a08886350b.jpg

Craig

On 1/31/2017 at 9:24 PM, Missouri Swede said:

It happened again with another round.  

Yah, their recommendations have always been something I have discarded. It's a nice try to give us a summary from the bar chart, but it lacks use because of two things:

1. We have each seen odd things like you are saying, so we naturally discount in the future. A lot like going to a web site and having a bad experience. You just go back reluctantly, remembering the bad experience. Takes a while to gain your confidence again.
  2. The break-downs in the recommendation section are different than the break-downs in the accompanying graph. The recommendation seems to have yard increments for each category that they drill down into. That makes us a bit mystified when trying to reconcile with the graph.
12 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

I see they've changed the strokes gained page this week.  I haven't had time to play with yet.

59094ef772514_newstrokesgainedscreen.jpg.1aa6664df4d8499f9fb320a08886350b.jpg

I like it. The comparisons are nice- you can compare last round (or last 3 or last 5 or whatever) against last 3, 5, 10, career. I'm doing from memory, but I just liked the way it let you be very flexible in that.

Then the green or red bars show up based on whether that area has shown improvement.

Some things I don't like:

1. It looks almost grayed out, like it is in a back window or something. Even the category names like Driving, Approach, Short Game, Putting are hard to see.
  2. The Up and Down arrows are very binary. I had one where I improved by 2.5 strokes but another category improved by 0.01 strokes.  They both showed the same green down arrow.  Like your driving area above- maybe they could show the arrow as a slight improvement, and the putting as a great improvement better. The arrows aren't even very visible either. That's related to the grayed-out look of the page.
  3. It even took a moment to realize that the bold white number was for the recent rounds, and the grayed out number for the older rounds.

But overall, it seemed like a decent "slice and dice" step that will be good if they build on it.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

It looks almost grayed out, like it is in a back window or something.

It's a good feature, they still have the availability to view Insights in the original manner.
Don't really care so much for the "kite" looking graphs on Approach, I prefer the "plot" with the ability to hover over the shot for details.

I do like the new comparisons with detail to specific rounds or multiple rounds.
I agree it does appear as if the grey area has potential to select multiple functions, like it's waiting for user input or something.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 2508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!