IGNORED

what kind of irons ????? game improvement vs.

esayers
Note: This thread is 3020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 hours ago, dkolo said:

They were a tweener in their cycle. The opposite of how the SLDR driver was. Where that lasted for a cycle and a half, it seemed like almost immediately after the SLDR irons came out, the 19 different RSi models got released and the SLDRs were redundant.

When I first saw them I had to check to make sure they weren't a clone or made for store model because I'm pretty much an equipment ho and hadn't seen any press on them.  I liked the SLDR much more than the RSi / PSi, though the RSi TP are nice.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looking at the OPs yardages I'd go with either a SGI or GI. He needs all the help he can get with the longer irons. There is no shame in playing a GI or even a SGI. I've seen teaching pros playing SGIs like the Callaway Big Bertha irons. The goal of the game is to get the ball in the hole in as few strokes as humanly possible, not play with forged blades or players irons. It looks like it's going to take some time for the OP to get to the level where he won't be suffering with a player's iron. Yes, they look nice and streamlined, but they're not as forgiving and it's a bit more difficult to get the ball up in the air. 

The GIs and especially the SGIs are designed to help get the ball up in the air. But still I play a GI iron from Cobra, and I can hit low knockdowns. I don't see a problem here. You just have to learn how to do it. 

People talk about working the ball, but even pros hit their stock shot about 97% of the time. 

@esayers My Cobras have a medium top line and a medium offset. The Ping G30s are a nice club. It depends upon what you want. But you might want to get fitted and try some other brands like Mizuno EZ & EZ Forged, and 850, Callaway XR, Cobra Fly-Z, and Ping G30, Gmax. Hit about 5 balls with each. Check the numbers. Which one did you hit the best? You might have some surprises. You might like the chunkier head or not. I'd get professionally fit. They will charge you for this service, but normally a shop will deduct this if you buy or order a set of clubs from them. 

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Take your lessons before you buy your clubs. Chances are after the lessons your will change. Then ask your instructor what he thinks might be best for you. Then go out and try SGI vs GI vs players irons and get what works best for you. Don't get hung up labels. It's results that matter.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

to the OP:

It's ok to carry 6-iron through wedges and have hybrids and other lofted fairway woods on the long side of your bag.  The long end of my bag is a 5-wood, 4- and 5-hybrids, then 6-iron through wedges on the short end.  I've had a similar club line-up for about 5 years.  Like you, I don't hit long irons well off the deck or off a tee for that matter, either. A 4-hybrid is much easier to hit straight and launch high on a 170 yard par-3 than a 4-iron.  For me, at least.

New irons are in the mix for next season for me as well.  I'm going to look at compare the same Ping irons you mentioned--the G-30 and G-Max.  Also going to try a couple of the sets mvac mentioned for comparison.

Had a driver fitting mid-season this year.  Hit 'em all and ended up with the Ping G-30.  Launch monitor results don't lie.  It went farther and straighter than my current TM driver and all others we tested.

Definitely compare the 2 Ping models but mix in some of the other manufacturer models as mvac shared. Something might pop out as a clear winner--even over the Ping models.

Dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

On 12/8/2015 at 10:40 PM, newtogolf said:

SLDR irons are nice irons, I picked them up used and had them in my practice bag for a while.  I'd say they were probably one of the most under rated irons in recent years.  TM didn't give them a big marketing push but everyone I know that has / had them liked them a lot.

I did a TST review on SLDR irons, and I really liked them. I can't decide whether to play them, or my X20 Tours which I reshafted with NS Pro 8950GH R.flex.

@dkolo, if you're interested, I reloaded the SLDR review in my new blog, Through the Green.

Look around and see if you can find some SLDRs. TM still has them in their current iron mix, though at a lesser price than when they first came out.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

7 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

I did a TST review on SLDR irons, and I really liked them. I can't decide whether to play them, or my X20 Tours which I reshafted with NS Pro 8950GH R.flex.

@dkolo, if you're interested, I reloaded the SLDR review in my new blog, Through the Green.

Look around and see if you can find some SLDRs. TM still has them in their current iron mix, though at a lesser price than when they first came out.

Thanks, yeah, I stumbled across your excellent review of the irons last night, and I pretty much agree; it matches up with what I recall from when I hit them back a year or so ago.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to this thread but not golf and I just wanted to add my personal story. My intent is not to offend anyone. That said here it goes. I have been playing since 13. I am 44 now. I grew up playing blades. They were forged and too long for me looking back now. I consider these the best teacher I've ever had. I had instructions and coaches and nothing gave me the info I received like those old blades. Hit to toe or heel you knew it. As I got older I played a mix of blades and players cavity back irons. I have grown up a lot since those days and have changed my opinions on my game. I don't need to play clubs because of looks or what is popular. I play what helps me better myself. Now to the point of the thread. If you're young play a players club and play it through the feedback the club gives you. Take lessons and get fit. This is a great way to start. My swing isn't as big as it was when I was 20 or 30. I decided not to long ago to give the big ugly game improvement irons a try. I was surprised. I hit the ball higher and it landed softer. I peppered greens like never before. I also gained the distance back that I had when I was 20. I played to a 5 hcp at my best. I'm a little over 7 now and inching closer to that 5 again. It has a lot to do with the irons. I am a good ball striker and play a natural draw. With the Ping G irons I am gaming I can work the ball without issue. The clubs do not prevent you from doing anything. You prevent you. If you're too worried about the look of clubs (except the old VAS irons) you're selling yourself short. I'll always have a soft spot for the old blades. As for feel every cast club has less feel than forged. I am a feel player. My Pung irons have as much feel as the Speedbladez they replaced. Forged is dicey. Not all forged are the same. Mizuno blades are the sweetest irons I've ever hit. The true definition of a buttery feel. Taylormade, Ping, Nike, and the other major brands version of forged aren't close in feel. Only Miura is similar to Mizuno. You'll lose distance with these though because of how soft they are. In conclusion buy what you hit the best. Get a fitting take lessons and love the game. It'll love you back. No golfer has ever shot an 18 so perfection is not possible so do your best. Enjoy the sight sounds and friendships. Don't get hung up on iron looks. It's only going to distract you from the game. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, DJ said:

No golfer has ever shot an 18 so perfection is not possible so do your best.

I think Kim Jong Un did once.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

On 12/6/2015 at 11:51 AM, mvmac said:

I get what you mean. There's more and more irons coming out in the "gray area" between all those categories. Apex CF, i E1, MP 25, basically a tour player to a high handicapper can play those irons (and they do).

Shaft choice is always critical, but is especially critical with the gray area clubs.

This reminds me of a discussion with a Ping rep at a golf expo. At the time, the G15 had been around for a few months. He was head pro at a local club, and said he had fitted players from scratch to 22 HDCP with the G15s - he just found the particular shaft that worked best for each golfer.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I just got the G30s a few months ago. Being paranoid i got two separate fittings at 2 separate pro shops to see if the would concur. They both agreed on the shaft ( true temper 95 gram) and felt the g30s were better than the gmax because of the contact i made with the ball and swing speed. It was a great investment and i have taken at least 5 strokes off my round and gained 2 clubs in distance. i researched for months and have always liked mizuno irons but i am glad i went with the ping irons. I just bought a B65 putter and cant wait for warmer weather (and no snow) so i can keep playing. Now along with the irons got an all inclusive membership at our muni course which i always liked and now play whenever i want with a cart (even have my own key for when they are closed). My improvement could be from playing more often and focusing more as i am pretty obsessed with my game lately. The distance was definitely due to the irons though. Personally I would try several 7 irons and 5 irons and see which you prefer. Ping does have that cart where they can switch shafts and heads on the fly which is great.

Good luck. 

thanks for all the responses . i bought new irons and ended up getting used through callaway preowned . they had 30 % off deal  got the 2015 big bertha 4-aw and hit them today and couldn't be happier. got the like new from them and they are in great shape . i took them to the indoor range and  they launch nice and high for me and seem very easy to hit  .i even hit about 50 % very good shots with my 4 iron of the grass. it is very low lofted so i was worried but it gets it up in the air. i will get the lessons then get fitted after my swing gets better . olny problem now is i cannot wait for the weather to warm and get to the course .. thanks again for all the responses it is appreciated .

I think it depends a lot on your handicap.  The higher the handicap the more forgiveness one needs.  I have leaned towards the game improvement irons even though I am a single digit handicap.  I just like the extra forgiveness.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a set of 716 AP1 Titleist irons.  I haven't had them on the course yet, but I will next month when I go to Miami.  During my fitting and later on a simulator they feel great and seem to have added at least 10 yds to my irons (on a simulator, though, so you never know).  Has anyone else tried them?  By the way, I see a lot of Ping G30 fans out there and I almost bought a set of those but the shaft that was recommended was a $400 upcharge and it's the stock shaft on my Titleists.

Haven't tried the AP1, but heard very good things about them. Reviews have been excellent. You should enjoy them. Nice clubs. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!