IGNORED

Palm Springs in January

DaveP043
Note: This thread is 794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

We played the other course (I think its the Valley) at Desert Springs last year, this year we played the Palms.  I liked both.  They're more forgiving than many, since there's very little "desert", but they both have some nice terrain.  The Palm was in pretty nice shape, rolling greens, water hazards on a reasonable number of holes, comfortably fast greens.  I thought the price was reasonable considering we must be in the high season, around $90. 

Many people seem to like those courses, but for whatever reason both courses there are among my least favorite in the valley.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Thanks also to @Golfingdad, @tristanhilton85, and @mvmac for coming out to join my friends and I for a round or two.

Thank you for the invite! Glad to hear you made it back home safely. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I've posted my pocket course reviews this morning.  

I made it a separate thread, since other folks visit that area and may want to add their experiences as time goes on.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Just back from 6 days there: played desert princess twice (we stayed with friends on the property), escena, Tacquitz and Indian Canyon north. They booked everything so we just had to show up, pay and play. 

For two hackers, the wife and I really enjoyed Indian Canyon north-not to difficult, great scenery, awesome property, bit of history. Desert Princess a close second-the property is well maintained. Escena was in great shape but blah property. Tacquitz was an overpriced average public course.

• 5 months later...

I'm going to resurrect this old thread.  For some unknown reason, our friends have invited us to visit them in Palm Springs again in January, from 1/14 to 1/22.  At this stage I have no idea when or where we'll be playing, but if we have openings like we did this past year, I'll post here and see if any of y'all would care to join us.  

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm going to resurrect this old thread.  For some unknown reason, our friends have invited us to visit them in Palm Springs again in January, from 1/14 to 1/22.  At this stage I have no idea when or where we'll be playing, but if we have openings like we did this past year, I'll post here and see if any of y'all would care to join us.  

I had a blast last time, @DaveP043.  If it works out that you guys have openings and an invitation is extended, I'll figure out a way to get myself out there again. :beer:

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

I had a blast last time, @DaveP043.  If it works out that you guys have openings and an invitation is extended, I'll figure out a way to get myself out there again. :beer:

Maybe we could make a TST So. Calif. outing out of it.

12 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Maybe we could make a TST So. Calif. outing out of it.

That won't work for me, I'll be there with my wife and three other couples.  I think we'll have 5 or 6 (or maybe more) golfers every day.  Last year a few of the TST guys ( @Golfingdad, @tristanhilton85, and @mvmac) snuck away from work and played one or two rounds with us.  It was a real treat for me to see Drew and Mike again, after having played against their team at the Newport Cup, and to meet Tristan for the first time.  

I have a feeling that we'll be in the same boat this coming January, we'll have two times booked, but no more than 6 or 7 players.  If there are openings, I may be able to invite one or two of y'all to join us.  Now if you SoCal guys happened to organize an outing for the same time frame, I might try to drop by and visit.  Anyway, I'll keep in touch through this thread.

• Upvote 2

Dave

If you need another for a Friday or weekend round, I will probably be able to make it. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 4 weeks later...

I go to the valley every year. I stay in Palm Desert, about 20 minutes east of Palm Springs. Once a year I play Silver Rock and Cimaron, The other 5 days I play different courses, last year I played La Quinta Mountain Course and a few local courses. Early Dec to mid Jan are the best times to go there. Great daytime weather and sweater weather at night. Almost every course is in GREAT Shape and the prices are still OK. They sky rocket in Feb.

FYI Where we have our condo (Desert Breezes) a lot of the owners have defaulted over the years so there are always rentals available. Not as nice as 5 Star resorts in the valley but it's clean and comfortable, the money you'd save over the course of a few days will pay for a round at Silver Rock and that's not a bad thing at all. 

Golf is like being married to a beautiful woman that can cook, change a flat tire and never turns you down. But   just for fun she slaps you around in public.

• 3 months later...

Just received an underpar.com deal for Marriott Shadow Ridge that made me think of @DaveP043 and this thread. https://www.underpar.com/courses/marriotts-shadow-ridge

$89 plus free same day replay.  Has to be purchased this week, though, and can only be used up to 1/20/17.  Main drawback is that it says you can book 7 days in advance, so not exactly giving you a lot of time to plan ahead.

Anyways, just thought I'd throw it out there.

20 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Just received an underpar.com deal for Marriott Shadow Ridge that made me think of @DaveP043 and this thread. https://www.underpar.com/courses/marriotts-shadow-ridge

$89 plus free same day replay.  Has to be purchased this week, though, and can only be used up to 1/20/17.  Main drawback is that it says you can book 7 days in advance, so not exactly giving you a lot of time to plan ahead.

Anyways, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for posting.   I'll be down there with the family at the sister Marriott property, Desert Springs over New Years.   Since there are two course on that property I might just stay there to play rather than drive to Shadow Ridge.  I did notice the rack rate is high this time of year.

Brad

1 hour ago, bmartin461 said:

Thanks for posting.   I'll be down there with the family at the sister Marriott property, Desert Springs over New Years.   Since there are two course on that property I might just stay there to play rather than drive to Shadow Ridge.  I did notice the rack rate is high this time of year.

Brad

I've actually stayed at both places.  We love them both (hotel portion) but I haven't golfed at either.  Desert Springs seems kinda meh to me as far as golf is concerned.  I mean, it looks immaculate, but there is no buzz.  I've never heard anybody say anything great about it.

Shadow Ridge, on the other hand, is @tristanhilton85's (or at least at one time was) very course in the valley and he's a local.  So consider that.

If you really don't want to go far, then I'd consider Desert Willow.  I have played both of those and would recommend either of them (and I think one of them just got a facelift) and the entrance to the property is directly across the street from Desert Springs.  You wouldn't even need to drive on a public street.:beer:

10 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I've actually stayed at both places.  We love them both (hotel portion) but I haven't golfed at either.  Desert Springs seems kinda meh to me as far as golf is concerned.  I mean, it looks immaculate, but there is no buzz.  I've never heard anybody say anything great about it.

Shadow Ridge, on the other hand, is @tristanhilton85's (or at least at one time was) very course in the valley and he's a local.  So consider that.

If you really don't want to go far, then I'd consider Desert Willow.  I have played both of those and would recommend either of them (and I think one of them just got a facelift) and the entrance to the property is directly across the street from Desert Springs.  You wouldn't even need to drive on a public street.:beer:

I've stayed at both Marriott properties as well, in the "timeshare" villas, and they're very nice.  We've also played all three Marriott courses, and I'll agree that Shadow Ridge is the most interesting.  And in my opinion, either of the courses Desert Willow is more interesting than the Marriott courses, even Shadow Ridge.  Shadow Ridge has some pretty severe greens, and that makes it fun, but on the whole I'd prefer Desert Willow.  Not far away is the Classic Club, which Is really good as well, probably my favorite in that group.

Dave

On 11/30/2016 at 9:06 AM, DaveP043 said:

I've stayed at both Marriott properties as well, in the "timeshare" villas, and they're very nice.  We've also played all three Marriott courses, and I'll agree that Shadow Ridge is the most interesting.  And in my opinion, either of the courses Desert Willow is more interesting than the Marriott courses, even Shadow Ridge.  Shadow Ridge has some pretty severe greens, and that makes it fun, but on the whole I'd prefer Desert Willow.  Not far away is the Classic Club, which Is really good as well, probably my favorite in that group.

@Golfingdad & @DaveP043 thanks for the input, I think I'll pack the clubs and then look around for any deals at one of the recommended courses in the area.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2016 at 0:55 PM, DaveP043 said:

Just bumping this thread.  My buddy Tom just sent me an email telling me to be sure to invite the TST guys, if anyone wants to fill out our group.  Like I mentioned, we plan to arrive on Saturday, 1/14, and play each day from Sunday to the following Saturday.  We have six players, so if one or two of you guys want to join us, you'll be more than welcome.  Tom is planning to make the tee times between 9 and 10 AM, and I'll post real tee times and courses after he's made those plans.

• Upvote 1

Dave

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Just bumping this thread.  My buddy Tom just sent me an email telling me to be sure to invite the TST guys, if anyone wants to fill out our group.  Like I mentioned, we plan to arrive on Saturday, 1/14, and play each day from Sunday to the following Saturday.  We have six players, so if one or two of you guys want to join us, you'll be more than welcome.  Tom is planning to make the tee times between 9 and 10 AM, and I'll post real tee times and courses after he's made those plans.

Great! I can most likely make one or two days of that week work.

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 5:12 PM, uitar9 said:

Just back from 6 days there: played desert princess twice (we stayed with friends on the property), escena, Tacquitz and Indian Canyon north. They booked everything so we just had to show up, pay and play. 

For two hackers, the wife and I really enjoyed Indian Canyon north-not to difficult, great scenery, awesome property, bit of history. Desert Princess a close second-the property is well maintained. Escena was in great shape but blah property. Tacquitz was an overpriced average public course.

It looks like we were there about the same time, I played Indian Canyons south course twice...WOW

Golf is like being married to a beautiful woman that can cook, change a flat tire and never turns you down. But   just for fun she slaps you around in public.

Note: This thread is 794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!