IGNORED

Palm Springs in January

DaveP043
Note: This thread is 815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In just under a month I'll be headed to Palm Springs, CA, from 1/16 to 1/23.  My wife and I are lucky enough to have a friend at our home club who has bought a second home at the Golf Club at La Quinta, where he spends a few months each winter. He's invited us and two other couples to visit.  He arranges most of the golf, taking advantage of his "local" status.  Last year we played at his club, as well as both courses at Desert Willow, Silverrock, and PGA West's Stadium Course.  If anyone has suggestions for courses, or dining options, please let me know.  If anyone would like to join us for a round or two, that might be a possibility.  We have four couples, but only 5 to 6 golfers (two wives don't ply at all, and another isn't an every-day player).  As I learn more, I'll post more details.  It would be fun to get together with other TSTers in the area.  @Lihu has already said he'd be interested if we can work something out.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know what the weather is like for you at home at the moment, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the January weather in Palm Springs.  Contrary to popular belief, it does get cold in California on occasion, so please remember a sweater (I'm sure your friend has already let you know this).  

I'll be in town to attend the Bob Hope tournament and might be able to be around for a few other days, so if you're looking for someone else in a pinch, please let me know.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I'll certainly keep you posted, it would be fun if we can work it out.  Like I said, we'll probably have at least two open spots for every day we play.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Paging @tristanhilton85 :-)

I'd be interested in playing some golf in the desert. Here are a few restaurants that I enjoy.

Bucatini
http://www.bucatini.biz/menu/wood-oven-pizzas/

The Nest
http://www.gotothenest.com/

LG Steakhouse
http://www.lgsprimesteakhouse.com/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

16 hours ago, mvmac said:

Paging @tristanhilton85 :-)

I'd be interested in playing some golf in the desert. Here are a few restaurants that I enjoy.

The Nest
http://www.gotothenest.com/

8 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

My trip is from the Jan. 9th to the 13th.  I'm looking at those restaurants that @mvmac posted. Planing on giving them a try.

Last year we ate at the Nest, its a real trip.  Apparently, the bar here is the social hub of the area, it was chock full of people having fun while we were there.  We ate in the dining room, and had surprisingly good food.  We also had good pizza at a place called Stuft in Old Town La Quinta.

• Upvote 1

Dave

8 hours ago, mchepp said:

Have fun @DaveP043 ! I am very jealous. Our trip to the Desert isn't until May so I have to sit in the cold weather waiting. 

Maybe So Cal TST folks should organize a regular Palm Desert meetup.  Golf weather 365 (366 next year).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I may be available to play on the 16th or 17th, so if you have an opening on one of those days, let me know.

Obviously there are a lot of great courses out here in the desert, and the ones that you named are some of the best. I'd also recommend the other two public courses at PGA West (Norman and Nicklaus Tournament) as well as the Mountain Course at La Quinta Resort. The north course at Terra Lago is also pretty good. While I still haven't actually managed to play a round of golf there, Eagle Falls gets some really good reviews as well, so that'd be one that be worth checking out.

As far as dining options go, it'd be hard to go wrong with any of the spots that @mvmac suggested. I've been to both LG's and Bucatini and both are excellent. I've never been to the Nest, but I've heard good things. The desert also has all of the other major steakhouses (Mastros, Ruth's Chris, Flemings, Sullivan's, Morton's), so if that's your kind of thing then there isn't a shortage of good places for you to eat. Stuft is another one that I would recommend, but you already know about that one, so you're all set. 

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Hi Dave,

Id love to join you for a round one day - you were one of the few I missed playing with at Newport Cup!

Ill stay abreast of this thread and if you have availability when I'm free, I'll join you guys!

On December 28, 2015 at 9:57 AM, DaveP043 said:

In just under a month I'll be headed to Palm Springs, CA, from 1/16 to 1/23.  My wife and I are lucky enough to have a friend at our home club who has bought a second home at the Golf Club at La Quinta, where he spends a few months each winter. He's invited us and two other couples to visit.  He arranges most of the golf, taking advantage of his "local" status.  Last year we played at his club, as well as both courses at Desert Willow, Silverrock, and PGA West's Stadium Course.  If anyone has suggestions for courses, or dining options, please let me know.  If anyone would like to join us for a round or two, that might be a possibility.  We have four couples, but only 5 to 6 golfers (two wives don't ply at all, and another isn't an every-day player).  As I learn more, I'll post more details.  It would be fun to get together with other TSTers in the area.  @Lihu has already said he'd be interested if we can work something out.

I strongly suggest the Nickalaus course at the PGA west complex and Indian Wells players course. There are incredible and you will not be disappointed. 

3 hours ago, Smidd4 said:

I strongly suggest the Nickalaus course at the PGA west complex and Indian Wells players course. There are incredible and you will not be disappointed. 

I forgot to mention the Indian Wells courses. The Player's course is great, but I also like the Celebrity course.

The two courses at Westin Mission Hills are also pretty good as is the Classic Club.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  Our friends are on their way driving from Virginia to Palm Springs, I think they plan to get there sometime early next week.  I'll pass all the suggestions along.  My buddy will make most of the golf arrangements, and they'll be influenced by what he can do about getting us "local" rates.  Once he lets us know what he's arranged, I'll pass the info along in this thread, and see what we can do about getting together for some golf.  Most of us visitors will arrive on Saturday, 1/16, and I expect the golf will start on Sunday morning.  I'm looking forward to it!

Dave

On 12/30/2015 at 8:13 AM, DaveP043 said:

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  Our friends are on their way driving from Virginia to Palm Springs, I think they plan to get there sometime early next week.  I'll pass all the suggestions along.  My buddy will make most of the golf arrangements, and they'll be influenced by what he can do about getting us "local" rates.  Once he lets us know what he's arranged, I'll pass the info along in this thread, and see what we can do about getting together for some golf.  Most of us visitors will arrive on Saturday, 1/16, and I expect the golf will start on Sunday morning.  I'm looking forward to it!

Dave,

I played all of these, recommend them all:

Desert Falls CC
Desert Willow Golf Resort, Firecliff - tough course
Desert Willow Golf Resort, Mountain View
Escena Golf Club - 
Indian Wells CC - Classic 
La Quinta Mountain Course - 
Terra Lago - North Course
Terra Lago - South Course
Westin Mission Hills - Gary Player
Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

@Coronagolfman , perhaps you didn't read the first post, but I'm going to be there from Jan 16 to Jan 23.  That's when my friend has invited me to go.  I'm not going to turn down free lodging, with a friend, in order to save a bit on the greens fees.

Dave

I got our tee times for my visit to Palm springs, and I wanted to send this around to the TSTers who might want to join us.  As I said earlier, we have six golfers, so we're likely to have two openings for each day.  Here's our schedule:

Sunday, Jan 17     -         Indian Springs Golf Club .....   Rate is $89.00  (Includes lunch) (9:37 & 9:45)

Monday is booked up, I extended an invitation to a couple of Newport Cup guys first.

Tuesday,  Jan. 19 -          Classic Golf Club .............      Rate is  $139.00  (9:10 & 9:20)

Wednesday, Jan. 20 -      Silver Rock .....................       Rate is  $170.00   (9:08 & 9:15)

Thursday, Jan. 21 -          Desert Willow ................        Rate is  $120.00   (9:05 & 9:15 )

If any of y'all would like to join us, please let me know.

Dave

Note: This thread is 815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!