IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge (January 2016)

iacas
Note: This thread is 3009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 1/2/2016 at 8:00 AM, Lihu said:

Hip turn drills, slow movements attempting to mimic the timing on my good drives using a driver shaft.

Did a quick scoring round. Shot kind of bad, but at least I am getting some distance when I don't hit things with my drive. Posted to GHIN.

Forgot a tee shot for some reason, I thought I hit + and added D, but for some reason it didn't register, and I had to learn how to edit the shots. I feel very uncomfortable doing this, and will be more careful to make sure shots register on the course in the future. . .

The back swing and slower transition thing is going to take a lot of time to ingrain. I am still working on it and anticipate having to do so for a while. Going to work on it on the range and on the course.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I feel very uncomfortable doing this, and will be more careful to make sure shots register on the course in the future. . .

It's very easy to do. No reason to feel uncomfortable.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Frigid temps and more white death falling from the sky has forced practice indoors. Due to the cold, I broke up my garage drills to three 20-minute sessions. Focus again on the backswing drills and bent right elbow. Used the 6-iron with a slow 1/2 swing. I picked up a new feel that seemed to help... Applying a "squeeze between the left shoulder (moving down) and right instep of the foot (keeps pressure on the inside foot). 

Moved inside this the living room for putting drills (about an hour) and worked on the pendulum swing and grip. I changed my grip to a more symmetrical intertwined feel which seemed to smoothen out my flow. More work on this to come.

Dave

3 hours ago, iacas said:

It's very easy to do. No reason to feel uncomfortable.

I just can't place the markers as accurately as my phone can measure it. I can only zoom in so far before the maps max out. If the software could anchor the original markers, and add strokes or whatever in relation to the measured markers I think it could be more robust?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Continue backswing drill, pivot drill and variety of swings with each of 7 clubs. I'm finding that backswing drill as prescribed by @iacas is helping me become aware of certain pressure points. Might be good keys in mid-rounds when things start to go south. 

Under construction, signature and game.

More of the same, but I need to hit more balls or walk the course again or both as I'm gaining weight again. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Spent 15 mins working on the backswing, 6 iron, no ball. In order to get to the A2 position I'm seeking, I was aware of the right elbow folding earlier than it has been and the left shoulder going down and back more. Then spent 7 mins chipping before it rained. 

Chris.:roll:

Did three 20 minutes sessions in the garage net switching off between 7 iron and hybrid, using hard foam balls. Still working on backswing / takeaway and thd bent right elbow up to impact, though I add the 3/4 swing to the normal 1/2 swing drills. I am using a target in the center of the net to ensure the ball strike is straight on. Backswing is starting to get more second nature and consistent. Good stuff. 

Dave

Had my eyes dialated this morning, so it was some indoor carpet putting for me. I was hitting 8' putts with a 2" break at a full beer can.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Still workin on the hip turn drills and trying to keep my spine angle while shifting my weight fully. It can be really frustrating when you get those few swings that feel right while the rest are "THBBFT". On top of that my lead glute muscle is sore. Thbbft.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Backswing drill, pivot drill and each club through series of different swing speeds. Using mirror FO to evaluate Key#1 and slow motion helps be aware of weight distribution at top of backswing, Key#2.

I like what I'm feeling , especially that I might actually understand what I am practicing!! ?⛳️

I've been continuing to work on my putting stroke indoors and am getting more comfortable with it. Lining up the putter head with the target is easier and I can consistently lag to about one foot past the target on my carpet from about 10' usually only missing laterally by no more than 6". 

I've noticed the temperatures starting to rise out of the too cold region and I may be hitting the range again in another couple of weeks. Meanwhile I'm going to the gym and keeping the muscles toned.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

It's been raining fairly consistently today. Managed to get out and do 10 mins of work on the backswing with a 6 iron between showers. Still exploring the feel of the right elbow folding earlier during the take away, and adding more cup (extension) to the right wrist. 

Edited by chris3putt

Chris.:roll:

2 goals, pretty much all winter in the dome - shorter backswing and straighter spine...

My improved posture (much straighter spine) is finally starting to feel natural.  Video confirming.  Light years better than when I started drills in Nov.

Last week I had a couple days where contact was just plain mediocre - took video and, darn it, the bigger backswing had crept back in - fixed it and contact got really good again.  I've added a bit of look back to my pre-hit drill (just for practice) seems to be working - recent vids show I'm not going past a horizontal shaft at (P4?) any more - still like just a little shorter yet.  The 'feel' for me is a certain level of tension achieved is where I try not to go past - and that picture in my head of my left arm aligned to target (not wanting to purposely go much past position 3 really, P4 gets there regardless as I'm plenty limber already and I'm working not to overshoot).

So I'm taking a couple backswings and stop at the top, I look to see if my club shaft is short of horizontal.  If it is, I reward myself by hitting the ball.  if not, I do the look a couple more times.

It's taking a lot more reps on the range than I thought.  Big payoff though.  I'm sticking with these two longer and not adding in the next item on the list until it's really in place and confirmed on video.

frequent video is helping immensely - I should figure out how to take those ubersense vids and update my swing thread - it's been awhile.  On the other video view, the swing plane has been looking really good lately...

Bill - 

Bought a $5 bucket today and worked with all my longer clubs at the  driving range. (D-6i). Idea was to keep the last 60 balls in play, flying between two markers 120 yards out. Those markers looked be about 60 yrds wide. 60% flew well. Another 20% were close enough. The other 20% would have taxed my short game. 

I normally do this at a dry lake bed where I can also check my carry distances. With recent rains, that lake bed is not so dry right now. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

10 hours ago, Lihu said:

Still workin on the hip turn drills and trying to keep my spine angle while shifting my weight fully. It can be really frustrating when you get those few swings that feel right while the rest are "THBBFT". On top of that my lead glute muscle is sore. Thbbft.

Went to the range and didn't actually hate every single one of my shots. I managed to get the sequence right on two drives out of 2 buckets hit. I got a few 8i and down as well. It's going to take some time to get used to shifting my weight.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Got my latest Evolvr analysis back last night, so spent an hour and a half (split between two sessions) working those concept with the 7-iron and driver. Coach says to work on lowering my head on the downswing to help with the right elbow. He said I would probably get a lot more fat shots to start. He wasn't kidding. However, I am trying to to the stupid monkey thing and set my focus on those concept from my coach. The good thing is that the weather has broke a bit and I was able to take practice outside.

Worked later this evening on my new improved putter grip and stroke, trying to get the feel and worked on the smooth pendulum swing. 

Spent some time doing weight training and kettlebell swings. Finished up with 7 rounds of boxing on the heavy bag.

Dave

Backswing drill and pivot drill when hitting ball. Again, more aware of weight distribution. Am off skiing for MLK weekend. Will have to find sometime to swing club only no hitting. Taking one club with skis!

Note: This thread is 3009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!