IGNORED

USGA Article on Rule 14-1b (Anchoring Ban) in Action

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 2985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Now that the anchoring ban is being enforced, there have been a couple of situations on Tour that have prompted discussion. The linked article discusses those situations. I think the danger with these strokes is the fine line they create. People may not question Langer, but other lesser know players may be called out.

http://www.usga.org/articles/2016/02/anchors-away-rule-14-1-b-in-action.html

Rule 14-1b in Action
FEBRUARY 17, 2016 | FAR HILLS, N.J.
By Jamie Wallace, USGA

Since Rule 14-1b went into effect on Jan. 1 prohibiting anchored strokes on the golf course, there have only been a few questions raised at the professional level as to whether there was a breach of this Rule. Two recent situations have provided excellent, real-world illustrations of this Rule. The first was Zac Blair at the Sony Open in mid-January and the second was Bernhard Langer at the Champions Tour’s Chubb Classic this past weekend.

Rule 14-1b prohibits two actions during a stroke: 1) directly anchoring the club or a gripping hand against the body and 2) indirectly anchoring the club through the use of an anchor point created by holding a forearm in contact with any part of the body. For both actions, there is only a breach of this Rule if the player had the intention of either directly anchoring or creating an anchor point. Unintentionally brushing a hand or club against the body or clothing during a stroke does not constitute a breach of Rule 14-1b.

In the final round of the Sony Open in Hawaii, Blair was in contention as he came to the par-3 17th hole. His tee shot ended up just off the green and he elected to use a fairway wood for his second shot. The video appears to show the grip end of the club coming into contact with Blair’s torso at the end of the stroke. However, this was not a breach of the Rules as Blair had no intention of anchoring the club for his stroke, providing a great example of inadvertent contact. This situation also highlights the important point that Rule 14-1b applies to strokes made from anywhere on the course with any club, not simply a long or mid-length putter.

Langer won the Chubb Classic in dominant fashion, marking his first victory since the prohibition of the anchored stroke took effect. Langer’s chosen method of putting is an excellent example of the many different strokes that can be employed while still using a long putter and conforming with the Rules of Golf. Langer has long used a broomstick putter and anchored it to this chest with his left hand. Over this past weekend, he used a slightly modified version of this stroke in which he simply moved his left hand, putter grip and forearms away from his body so that the stroke was free-flowing and not anchored. Interestingly, Langer actually anchors the club during practice swings and just prior to making his stroke, which is perfectly fine. The Rule is only breached when the club is anchored during the stroke itself.

It is important to keep in mind that Rule 14-1b does not limit the use of equipment; it simply limits the type of stroke that can be used. Additionally, this Rule is intent-based, meaning that unintentionally anchoring the club, as Blair did, is not a breach of the Rule. Langer’s chosen putting stroke is an excellent illustration of the fact that the prohibition on anchored strokes is actually fairly narrow in its restrictions and leaves numerous options available to golfers.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to USGA Article on Rule 14-1b (Anchoring Ban) in Action
  • Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I saw Langer doing this and thought he was very close to anchoring it to his body on some of those putts.  Who is responsible for ensuring a proper stroke is used?  

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I saw Langer doing this and thought he was very close to anchoring it to his body on some of those putts.  Who is responsible for ensuring a proper stroke is used?  

The player. As with most things in golf.

If another player is suspicious, it's incumbent upon him to protect the field too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

29 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

The player. As with most things in golf.

If another player is suspicious, it's incumbent upon him to protect the field too.

On Golf Channel last night, they mentioned that Langer spent time with the officials before the event and showed them the stroke.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I still don't see how a situation like this is any different from any other situation where a rule may or may not have been violated and the player and/or FC's and/or a rules official need to make an assessment.  I suspect that it happens in one manner or other for any number of rules, virtually every week, on every tour.  

The only reason this one gets any press at all is that it's a new rule, and the rule itself was a bit controversial.  Opponents of the rule continue to try to use the very rare times when compliance is even questioned as an opportunity to climb back on their soapbox though.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I use the exact method that Langer uses with my broomstick.

14-1b/7

Club in Contact with Clothing During Stroke

Q.If a player makes a stroke with the club or a gripping hand in contact with an article of clothing that he is wearing, in what circumstances does that constitute direct anchoring of the club in breach of Rule 14-1b?

A.Clothing held against the body by a club or gripping hand is treated as if it is part of the player's body for the purpose of applying Rule 14-1b.Therefore, if the player were to intentionally use the club or a gripping hand to press an article of clothing against any part of his body, other than the forearm or a gripping hand, he would be in breach of this Rule. However, merely touching an article of clothing with the club or gripping hand in making a stroke is not a breach. This might occur in various situations, such as where the player is wearing loose fitting clothes or raingear, where the player’s physical size or build causes his arms naturally to rest close to the body, where the player holds the club extremely close to the body, or where the player for some other reason touches his clothing in making a stroke.

So inadvertently touching the body or clothing with the club gripping hand due to the player's build would not constitute a breach.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

Ignorant statement in the article:

(Although, serious question: While a longer flat stick is easier on the back, what do you think is more detrimental to the body: Taking a golf swing -- with all the moving parts that come with it -- or bending over slightly more to putt? If your back is unable to do the latter, seems the former is out of the question.)

It is practicing putting that is difficult. The full golf swing is a dynamic action and is easier on the back than putting with a short putter. Putting is a static movement. You're bent over just turning your shoulders. And with practice you're there for an extended period of time. There is much more pressure on the lower lumbar region. 

You don't stay bent over taking full swing after full swing. Chance are when you're doing putting drills you're spending more time bent over in a static position. This is why I went over to a 48" putter this year.

Julia

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

It is practicing putting that is difficult. The full golf swing is a dynamic action and is easier on the back than putting with a short putter. Putting is a static movement. You're bent over just turning your shoulders. And with practice you're there for an extended period of time. There is much more pressure on the lower lumbar region. 

You don't stay bent over taking full swing after full swing. Chance are when you're doing putting drills you're spending more time bent over in a static position. This is why I went over to a 48" putter this year.

I guess that means that you can't practice your chipping either then.  Maybe a 48" chipper would work for you.  ;-)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

maybe we practice chipping differently?

Julia

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DrvFrShow said:

maybe we practice chipping differently?

I'm just as bent over for chipping as I am for putting.  Since I also putt with an open stance, it's nearly the same motion.  And I have had a chronic bad back for more than 30 years.  

Rick

38 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

I concur.  Practicing putting has frequently made my back more sore than anything else.  It's that slight bend and the fact that it's continuous.  You line up three or four balls and hold the same stance for 20-40 seconds.  Here's an analogy:  putting practice vs. full swing practice is like a 30 second plank compared to sets of 2 or 3 push-ups.

• Upvote 1

That's why I don't practice the same putt more than once. I putt from target to target, never bent over for longer than one putt.

Colin P.

53 minutes ago, colin007 said:

That's why I don't practice the same putt more than once. I putt from target to target, never bent over for longer than one putt.

But if you're learning the speed of a green on a given line, you'll practice the same putt from a given distance over 4 consecutive putts.

What's sad is that manufacturers decided to stop making long putters altogether apparently because people think the only way they can be used is by anchoring them when this is far from being the case. Bernhard Langer is the only pro I've seen on television using one which is hardly a marketing point.

My guess is that I will catch some crap in my league for even using a long putter this season.

Julia

Spoiler

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I agree.  When I practice, I never use more than 2 balls.  Even if I have to use just one hole because the green is busy, I'll still drop a couple of ball at different angles to the hole, go through my routine with the first one, and then do the same with the second.  That way I'm never in my putting stance for more than a few seconds at a time.  

I find that I keep focused better if each putt is unique and has to be read and played as an individual.  It also more accurately simulates how I play them on the course.

Rick

34 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

But if you're learning the speed of a green on a given line, you'll practice the same putt from a given distance over 4 consecutive putts.

What's sad is that manufacturers decided to stop making long putters altogether apparently because people think the only way they can be used is by anchoring them when this is far from being the case. Bernhard Langer is the only pro I've seen on television using one which is hardly a marketing point.

My guess is that I will catch some crap in my league for even using a long putter this season.

I'm not sure what you define as long putter but there are many counterbalanced options that exceed 38"  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!