IGNORED

What spot would you aim for.

9wood
Note: This thread is 3004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 hours ago, 9wood said:

You have 138 yds to the green. The green slopes off to the left rear and no matter which part of the green you hit you can be sure your ball will roll off the green and down a hill. So do you aim for a spot just to the right of the green which leaves you with a down hill breaking chip or putt depending on which cut of grass your ball lies in, or do you aim for a spot on the left side and just off the green which gives you an uphill chip shot or putt depending on whether you're in the first or second cut of grass

My first comment is that it's a piss poor green design if a short iron can't be made to stay on the putting surface.  I don't think I've ever played a green that I couldn't hold with a properly aimed and struck shot from 138 yards, except in the winter when the ground is frozen.  I suppose it's possible if one is playing a Top Rock XL or the like that's nearly impossible to spin.  

For me, knowing my game, I shoot for the right front of the green (on the green, not for a miss) and assume that if I hit the green, the ball will hold somewhere no worse than the left fringe.  Nothing else makes any sense.  I would need to know the exact hole location on the green to be any more certain.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

meh - I'm only just been good enough that I went from trying to hit the green, to occasionally deciding which half of the green I aim for (hoping for quarters this year - we'll see).

My 9i is full swing 135 - So I hit full swing and set up for uploft it quite a bit (not really a biggie, but it's easy enough and every little bit helps).  Aim middle of the right half of the green.  Then I deal with the next shot however it ends up and enjoy the interesting hole.

The win is I get to hit a pretty stock shot to a green and get that practice.

one shot at a time

Bill - 

1 hour ago, Ernest Jones said:

No kidding! 60 feet is like a six story building. Has to be a typo. 

Maybe it's this hole!

56cf3a06bbc43_rooftopgreen.jpg.f83c508ad

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Seems to be a poorly designed and/or maintained hole.

The course is actually built on the side of a hill. When you play the holes that run East to West your ball will roll from left to right. The fairways slope in the same direction as the greens. If you are playing a hole that runs West to East you can expect your shots to roll from right to left. On the holes that run North to South your are either shooting up hill or down hill depending on which direction you're facing. On tee shots that run either East to West or West to East golfers who are familiar with the course will direct his tee shots to either the left or right side of the fairway knowing that his ball will take a bounce back in the opposite direction. Many people seem to enjoy the course because of the unique challenge it presents.

18 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

I'd need a better visual. Absent that, I aim for wherever gives me the shortest path to the hole. Likely choose short of the green rather than long, as I generally find there is more trouble long than short. 

The only times I have ever parred this hole is when I lay up pin high to the left side of the green where the slope is not a big deal. The slope is quite severe towards the back of the green and your ball will roll down a steep hill from there. Then I chip the ball to the hole knowing that my ball will break quite a bit to the left. If I leave myself with a short putt then I can par it. You can also lay up just short of the green on the first cut of grass and have a long left breaking putt from there.

18 hours ago, Patch said:

For me, uphill is always easier than down hill. I have better control of the chip/putt. 

Same here

I'll pull my 9 iron, tee up my Callaway SR1 (urethane) a tiny bit more than usual, and hit it with 100% effort. This should have it land about 133 and somewhere on the left center or right center of the green even though I'm aiming center. I've played this shot and it has a lot of backspin. If it doesn't hold, I'm obviously chipping back uphill.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

16 hours ago, Lihu said:

A photograph would be nice.

I'm not able to provide one at the moment. Even if I had one, looks are very deceiving for this hole as many individuals find out the first time playing it.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, 9wood said:

I'm not able to provide one at the moment. Even if I had one, looks are very deceiving for this hole as many individuals find out the first time playing it.

Tell us the name of the course, the city, and state, and the hole number.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Assuming the flag is roughly in the middle of the uphill / downhill, then definitely the uphill shot.  If a lot closer to the downhill then take the downhill shot and baby it.  Assuming there is no way to hold the green even if it rolls on.  If not just run it in and keep it here

A ball laid up short with a good high loft and a touch of spin will roll on and sit. The green is usually pretty dry because it's on the side of a hill and gets good run off. 

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Tell us the name of the course, the city, and state, and the hole number.

OK, but there is no pictures of the hole available online. The name of the course is Gothic Hill located in Lockport, NY and the hole is the 9th

http://www.gothichillgolf.com/

It's a par 3 course. It looks pretty flat on Google Earth.

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, iacas said:

So you have a green that you can't hold, and which if you hit the green, you're faced with a shot where the green is 60 feet above your ball?

Huh?

I can't answer this question because I've never seen anything like that, really, in golf.

No, the green is not 60 feet above your ball. When I say your ball rolls down hill 20 yards I was referring a gradual slope which carries your ball 20 yds away from the green. Your ball begins rolling on the green and picks up momentum before rolling off the green and then has enough momentum to continue rolling down the slope until you're now 20 yds away from the green.

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

http://www.gothichillgolf.com/

It's a par 3 course. It looks pretty flat on Google Earth.

It's far from being flat. It's built on the side of a hill 

Everything looks flat on Google Earth.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Which is the 9th? There are no bunkers, so you could land short of the green and roll on. The hole on the far right drops 30ft from the trees to the green. The ones that run perpendicular to that one are relatively flat.

gothic_hill.thumb.png.5e611633135c9427a1

Scott

My Swing Thread

I'm looking at the hole that runs left to right, closest to the camera.  Based on the google earth elevations, the hole is pretty flat from tee to green.  The green is about level front to back, but slopes right to left with about 5 feet of slope from edge to edge of the green, and the slope continues up to the right and down to the left of the green.  I can see how it would be tough to hold if the ground was firm.  

My first approach would be as some have said, try to hit the ball as high and hard as I reasonably could, hoping that the spin would stop it.  If I could fade it (and I can't, reliably), I'd try that, letting it hit into the slope to deaden the landing a bit.  I might also experiment with a lower shot with a longer club, less effort, less spin, and see if I could roll the ball onto the green.  All of these would be aimed at the right half to right edge.  At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to play the shot as well as you can, and live with imperfect results.  Good swings and good shots do not necessarily guarantee good results.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Everything looks flat on Google Earth.

56cf4f9a181ce_ScreenShot2016-02-25at2.01

Those are the measurements. This is a 133-yard hole along that line that appears to be the ninth hole on this course.

I'm not seeing a big slope. The green is about 20 yards deep. I could stop a 9-iron on that green, or if they were firm, land and bounce a PW on.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, 9wood said:

No, the green is not 60 feet above your ball. When I say your ball rolls down hill 20 yards I was referring a gradual slope which carries your ball 20 yds away from the green. Your ball begins rolling on the green and picks up momentum before rolling off the green and then has enough momentum to continue rolling down the slope until you're now 20 yds away from the green.

It's far from being flat. It's built on the side of a hill 

It really depends upon how they mow it, but guess I can see that happening. I've had a 2 foot putt barely miss and start to accelerate and become a 25 footer off the green.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

7 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm looking at the hole that runs left to right, closest to the camera.  Based on the google earth elevations, the hole is pretty flat from tee to green.  The green is about level front to back, but slopes right to left with about 5 feet of slope from edge to edge of the green, and the slope continues up to the right and down to the left of the green.  I can see how it would be tough to hold if the ground was firm.  

My first approach would be as some have said, try to hit the ball as high and hard as I reasonably could, hoping that the spin would stop it.  If I could fade it (and I can't, reliably), I'd try that, letting it hit into the slope to deaden the landing a bit.  I might also experiment with a lower shot with a longer club, less effort, less spin, and see if I could roll the ball onto the green.  All of these would be aimed at the right half to right edge.  At the end of the day, sometimes you just have to play the shot as well as you can, and live with imperfect results.  Good swings and good shots do not necessarily guarantee good results.

Good observations. One thing you're not able to notice however is how fast the green actually is on this hole. 

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

56cf4f9a181ce_ScreenShot2016-02-25at2.01

Those are the measurements. This is a 133-yard hole along that line that appears to be the ninth hole on this course.

I'm not seeing a big slope. The green is about 20 yards deep. I could stop a 9-iron on that green, or if they were firm, land and bounce a PW on.

Every ball I have ever seen hit the green has always ended up somewhere near that 542' marker, and that's a good distance uphill and back to the green

Note: This thread is 3004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!