IGNORED

No backswing golf swing?!

stealthhwk
Note: This thread is 3109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played with a fella today that had a really unique swing. He called it the no backswing golf swing. It was the strangest looking thing Ive ever seen but he beat the pants off me. Id call it the two step golf swing instead, as he took a fairly normal looking backswing but instead of a brief pause, he came to a complete stop for like 1 or 1.5 seconds. He hit it about average distance wise but kept most of his shots in the fairway. He talked me into trying it for the last four holes and whatya know, I had three of my best holes of the day. I shot a 98, he shot an 86. Are any of yall familiar with this technique? Could this be a real way to play decent golf?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

Played with a fella today that had a really unique swing. He called it the no backswing golf swing. It was the strangest looking thing Ive ever seen but he beat the pants off me. Id call it the two step golf swing instead, as he took a fairly normal looking backswing but instead of a brief pause, he came to a complete stop for like 1 or 1.5 seconds. He hit it about average distance wise but kept most of his shots in the fairway. He talked me into trying it for the last four holes and whatya know, I had three of my best holes of the day. I shot a 98, he shot an 86. Are any of yall familiar with this technique? Could this be a real way to play decent golf?

That's a drill I do, not sure I'd adopt it as my regular swing, but I'm not shooting an 86 so what do I know. 

Joe Paradiso

Here I was expecting some cool trickshot type video. Let's try not to resort to clickbait titles.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

3 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Here I was expecting some cool trickshot type video. Let's try not to resort to clickbait titles.

My bad...didnt mean to mislead anyone with the title. Thats just what he called it.

• Administrator

http://www.golf.com/video/no-backswing-swing

There was an article or something one month a long time ago (well, a decade or so? Maybe more?) in the magazines about it.

9 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

I don't see it as that. It's what it is - a "no backswing" swing. There's still a backswing, but you stop, wait, and hit from there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

There was an article or something one month a long time ago (well, a decade or so? Maybe more?) in the magazines about it.

Thats exactly what this guys swing looked like!!! Thanks for the video! As an instructor, whats your take on this kind of swing? Must be a downside or risk, right?

I played with a guy that lined up to the ball with the club on his shoulder like a baseball bat and when he was ready he turned and swung... Never seen someone swing so weird and shoot under par.

Hidecki Matsuyama has a pronounced pause at the top of his backswing.  I really like it.  I really try to make a pronounced pause as well.  When I do, I play really well and hit the ball remarkably straight.  When I don't pause properly, not so good.

I knew a guy that was a single digit golfer that started his swing at the top like a baseball player.  He was very consistent.  His putting sucked worse than mine though.

In baseball, I was always a Rod Carew fan.  Very flat swing.  Although I hated the Pirates, I would emulate Willie Stargell's swing where he would swing the bat in a circle while waiting for the pitch.  Bottom line is, in baseball whatever you do that can get the bat on the ball is OK.  Should be the same for golf.

I'm kind of intrigued by the Jim Venetos approach to golf.  I may try that as a hoot sometime.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I asked the guy what the downside was, and all he said was it still takes practice cus it changes the tempo of your swing a bit and you still have to do the downswing properly. He just said he finds it easier to repeat with the long pause and it keeps him from over swinging.

Sounds like a drill I used when I was first getting back into the game a few years ago. Did it for about 6 months to see if the repairs done on my left shoulder, and elbow were going to hold up. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't see it as that. It's what it is - a "no backswing" swing. There's still a backswing, but you stop, wait, and hit from there.

This is a "no backswing" swing. How a longer than usual pause at the top qualifies as "no backswing" is beyond me.

• Administrator
Just now, SavvySwede said:

This is a "no backswing" swing. How a longer than usual pause at the top qualifies as "no backswing" is beyond me.

Take up your complaints with Golf Magazine circa… 1996?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Take up your complaints with Golf Magazine circa… 1996?

I expect misleading titles from Golf Magazine.

15 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

I'd still consider that a "backswing". He starts at A1 and moves his arms, body and club to A4. It looks weird but the motion from 1-4 is helping him create speed and put the club in a position to make a decent downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

3 minutes ago, mvmac said:

I'd still consider that a "backswing". He starts at A1 and moves his arms, body and club to A4. It looks weird but the motion from 1-4 is helping him create speed and put the club in a position to make a decent downswing.

The clubhead never moves "back" or away from the target until the start of the downswing.

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes, apparently Charles Barkley can do a 'no downswing' down swing along similar lines..:-P 

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 3109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!