IGNORED

Practise on the green during a round

MacDutch
Note: This thread is 2990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was under the impression it was not allowed to practise putting on a green after finishing the hole (and before going to the next one) during a strokeplay round. You never see this on tour. But now someone said it is allowed and I can't find proof otherwise. Is this correct?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rule 7-2 permits some practice. Look it up for the specifics. The PGA Tour has a Condition of Competition which does not permit practice during the round.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, MacDutch said:

I was under the impression it was not allowed to practise putting on a green after finishing the hole (and before going to the next one) during a strokeplay round. You never see this on tour. But now someone said it is allowed and I can't find proof otherwise. Is this correct?

Rule 7-2:

Between the play of two holes a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near:

a.

the putting green of the hole last played, /p>

b.

any practice putting green, or

c.

the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round, provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7).

The committee may choose to prohibit such practice under the conditions of the competition.  The PGA Tour (and I assume the European Tour) has this prohibition in effect during all competitions.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

1 hour ago, MacDutch said:

Thanks for the answers. Think I have seen the pro's practice putting after they finished the hole during matchplay.

Just to be clear, that would not be because it was match play as opposed to stroke play:  Rule 7-2 applies to both.  It would be because in that particular competition there was no condition in place preventing the practice putting.

Every once in a while you'll see a guy practice a putt during the US Open.  That tournament is run by the USGA, not the PGA tour, so the normal PGA Tour prohibition doesn't apply.  More often, the groups are stacked up one after the other, so they can't practice without unduly delaying play.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On March 10, 2016 at 10:59 PM, Fourputt said:

Rule 7-2:

The committee may choose to prohibit such practice under the conditions of the competition.  The PGA Tour (and I assume the European Tour) has this prohibition in effect during all competitions.

May a course establish a local rule completely prohibiting such practice?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

30 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

May a course establish a local rule completely prohibiting such practice?

Interesting question. I recently officiated at the Dustin Johnson World Junior at TPC Myrtle Beach. In the  CoC it stated that all practice between holes was prohibited. We had a double-tee start in round one and the lead group turned before the last group had teed off on hole 10. I was asked if they could use the practice putting green, located close to the tenth tee, while they were waiting to start hole 10. My initial response was 'yes, go ahead' but then reviewed the NtC. Looking at the wording of the note to 7-2, I realized that the CoC was not authorized by Rule: 

Note 2: The Committee may, in the conditions of a competition (Rule 33-1), prohibit:

(a) practice on or near the putting green of the hole last played, and

(b) rolling a ball on the putting green of the hole last played.

The note does not authorize the committee to prohibit 7-2b, apparently.

7-2b is a prohibition. I'm not sure how you prohibit a prohibition ;-) but the note does say

"The Committee may, in the conditions of a competition (Rule 33-1), ....or permit practice on the competition course or part of the course (Rule 33-2c) on any day of or between rounds of a stroke-play competition.  "

It does not permit testing the surface.

Note: This thread is 2990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!