IGNORED

The USGA has a pretty good section on learning the rules of golf

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is the one aspect of golf I'm least interested in, rules give me a headache and I have to admit I make a concerted effort to remain an ignoramus, but the USGA's site has a pretty good overview with good explanations and videos. The number of tees it keeps track of I thought was something you have to purchase, but I think it's just a way to make sure you're using the section properly. I love reading and print books, but a computer imho is a better way to learn this kind of content.  Now this is putting that USO money to good use.

http://www.usga.org/rules-hub.html

56ec0d4583bbb_ScreenShot2016-03-18at10.1

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, nevets88 said:

This is the one aspect of golf I'm least interested in, rules give me a headache and I have to admit I make a concerted effort to remain an ignoramus, but the USGA's site has a pretty good overview with good explanations and videos. The number of tees it keeps track of I thought was something you have to purchase, but I think it's just a way to make sure you're using the section properly. I love reading and print books, but a computer imho is a better way to learn this kind of content.  Now this is putting that USO money to good use.

http://www.usga.org/rules-hub.html

56ec0d4583bbb_ScreenShot2016-03-18at10.1

I bought a few books when I first started played that helped too. I find the rules easy. The decisions are the longer read.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm confused. I hit an approach from the bunker OB, under stroke and distance I take a penalty stroke and go back to original point, which is in the bunker and drop as close as possible to where I struck it from?

56ed6c724bacb_ScreenShot2016-03-19at11.1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

12 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I'm confused. I hit an approach from the bunker OB, under stroke and distance I take a penalty stroke and go back to original point, which is in the bunker and drop as close as possible to where I struck it from?

56ed6c724bacb_ScreenShot2016-03-19at11.1

Rule 20-5 says that when making a stroke from where the previous stroke was made, from a hazard, the ball must be dropped. The question states "place a ball" instead of "drop," so it is false. 

Or did I misunderstand your question about it?

Edited by Missouri Swede
  • Upvote 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

12 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Rule 20-5 says that when making a stroke from where the previous stroke was made, from a hazard, the ball must be dropped. The question states "place a ball" instead of "drop," so it is false. 

Ah, I see the distinction. This is why I hate law (the study of it.)

Steve

• Administrator

Placing instead of dropping is one of the more frequent types of things that occur. Or dropping improperly, or in the wrong place, or whatever…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's kind of ironic, going through this, I'm learning (not legal) ways to give myself an advantage I never even thought of. 

• Sticking an object into the sand to test its depth or consistency
  • Using a rake in the bunker to feel the consistency of the sand

Steve

Halfway through and learning a lot. Attached some material below. Didn't know about the 2 shot penalty for teeing off outside the teeing ground, the 10 second rule if ball is hanging on lip, you can use your putter head to mark your ball among other things. RoG words like flagline. Should have done this a long time ago. Golf Channel should have a show like "So you think you know the rules of golf".

56f18dfe1e09b_ScreenShot2016-03-22at1.40

56f18e7a84068_ScreenShot2016-03-22at8.32

56f18eb29bbed_ScreenShot2016-03-22at10.3

56f18ebec0a7c_ScreenShot2016-03-19at10.2

Steve

hmm... I remember that question.  I'd answer the same as you.

The bit about the bridge is pretty obscure but I think you are right and you can do that.  I believe you can touch the grass but not the ground, resting your clubhead on grass near your ball seems like touching the ground. I'm guessing the last one is not against the rules.?

8 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

hmm... I remember that question.  I'd answer the same as you.

The bit about the bridge is pretty obscure but I think you are right and you can do that.  I believe you can touch the grass but not the ground, resting your clubhead on grass near your ball seems like touching the ground. I'm guessing the last one is not against the rules.?

That's the correct answer in green. The last one is a no-no according to the quiz.

Steve

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

That's the correct answer in green. The last one is a no-no according to the quiz.

Yep.  Not allowed to touch the surface of a hazard, and that includes touching the surface of the water in a water hazard.  It's a penalty to probe the water for your ball with a club unless you have already declared your intent to take the penalty or you have already played your next stroke under the penalty conditions with a substituted ball.

13-4. Ball in Hazard; Prohibited Actions

Except as provided in the Rules, before making a stroke at a ball that is in a hazard (whether a bunker or awater hazard) or that, having been lifted from a hazard, may be dropped or placed in the hazard, the player must not:

a.

Test the condition of the hazard or any similar hazard;

b.

Touch the ground in the hazard or water in the water hazard with his hand or a club; or

c.

Touch or move a loose impediment lying in or touching the hazard.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Fourputt said:

Yep.  Not allowed to touch the surface of a hazard, and that includes touching the surface of the water in a water hazard.  It's a penalty to probe the water for your ball with a club unless you have already declared your intent to take the penalty or you have already played your next stroke under the penalty conditions with a substituted ball.

You sure about that one? :-)

c. Searching for Ball in Water in Water Hazard 

If a ball is believed to be lying in water in a water hazard, the player may, without penalty, probe for it with a club or otherwise. If the ball in water is accidentally moved while probing, there is no penalty; the ball must be replaced, unless the player elects to proceed under Rule 26-1. If the moved ball was not lying in water or the ball was accidentally moved by the player other than while probing, Rule 18-2 applies.

BTW, @nevets88, a lot of those images are the same as the ones we saw and used in the recent Workshop I attended.

The older I get, the more interesting the Rules of Golf - the very foundation by which we play - interest me.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 3/19/2016 at 8:27 AM, Missouri Swede said:

I had this happen to me. My shot out of the fairway bunker ricocheted off a tree. I had to drop inside the same bunker as close as possible to where I played my last shot. I raked the bunker before I made my drop, however, since my ball wasn't in the bunker yet.:-P

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

3 hours ago, iacas said:

You sure about that one? :-)

BTW, @nevets88, a lot of those images are the same as the ones we saw and used in the recent Workshop I attended.

The older I get, the more interesting the Rules of Golf - the very foundation by which we play - interest me.

This is one thing that I think a rules revamp needs to address.  The rule I quoted holds no mention of or reference to any exception, then you get to a different rule and they do list an exception.  That exception should at the very least be referenced in Rule 13 so you don't have to read the whole damn book to make sure that an absolute statement one place isn't modified somewhere else.  It's situations like this where I can be a bit sympathetic with people who say the rules are too complex and convoluted.  Would it really be that hard to just add at the bottom of 13-4 "Note: See Rule 12-1c"?

Rick

It's already there, right below the penalty statement:

(Searching for ball - see Rule 12-1)

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

4 hours ago, Asheville said:

It's already there, right below the penalty statement:

(Searching for ball - see Rule 12-1)

Hmmm...  I thought I'd scrolled all the way down.  :8)

Rick

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Hmmm...  I thought I'd scrolled all the way down.  :8)

I believe they expanded what you could do to play the right ball when they took out the "no penalty for playing a wrong ball from a hazard" stuff.

Note: This thread is 2974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!