IGNORED

What ball, and why

Note: This thread is 2289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 7/10/2016 at 2:18 AM, amoline said:

You know I'll almost amend this statement. I shot my best round the other day with a Callaway Chrome soft (even better because I got 2 dozen free from Callaway because they screwed up my wedges!). 

I love the Chrome Soft. I may end up switching even though it'll cost me more... ack!

Similar story to me. I have enjoyed the Z star for a while now until I found a Chrome Soft in mint condition whilst looking for an errant tee shot. I used it the next round and loved it. Have been using it ever since.

I see that some guys above have mentioned the Wilson Zip. I use the Zip when playing with the wife or just out practicing (screwing around). It's by the far the best ball that I have found for the $. If I'm playing with my buddies or get in a game, I will use the PRO V X. I get more distance out of the Pro VX and it works better around the greens.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can't go wrong with the Pro-V1x.   But obviously a bit too pricey. 

Have been using the Vice equivalent for the winter rounds and they are quite decent. 

Feel like they have a weird sticky cover but can't say i notice it when i actually hit the ball... Just in my hands. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was always a PROV1 guy until I tried the Chrome soft. I love that ball and I get them for a great price. One my supply of PROV's are done, I'll use Chrome soft. I get great distance off the tee and they perform well around the greens.

Trollin' is the life

• 3 weeks later...

I've bee been faithful e6 guy for years, but just got first box of Snell MTB's - I LOVE the way they feel

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I've played the Bridgestone B330-RX since it was released in 2008.  Prior to that I played the e5.  I play it because it fits me better than any other ball on the market.

In the interest of full disclosure, I used to work for Bridgestone so I had the unique opportunity to test all the models from Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade, Srixon, Nike, Wilson and Volvik on a launch monitor, and it performed the best.  I no longer work for Bridgestone and can use whatever I want, but I continue to play the B330-RX

bridgestone_b330rx_ball_dozen_1.jpg.75a593f5aa0215b75f2fccc8b7bb8599.jpg.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

• 7 months later...

I played various balls last year (my first season) before settling on the ProV1. Then this year I thought I'd try a few other. TM Project a, Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis, Bridgestone e6 chief among them. THe e6 is a really good ball for me, I liked it. I have yet to hit anything resembling a decent shot with the Chrome Soft. Makes no legitimate sense but the fact remains. I've come back around to the ProV1 and am back to hitting some of the best shots I can hit. It's settled, I'm a Titleist man. 

I'm a mid handicapper. I always go back to Pro V1 or Srixon Z Star which I find to be equivalent. I only lose on average one ball per round so I don't mind paying the price of these balls. The flight and stopping power I get are worth it.

Since I just got back into the game after a nearly 20 year layoff I am basically starting over. Top Flite XL was my ball of choice before, but I currently prefer the On Core Avant. I played their free sleeve a few months ago and immediately ordered a dozen. Nice soft feel for a high handicapper and I feel like I have more control with them.

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend trying either VICE PRO,Snell or Kirkland Signature golf balls at half or less than half the price of Titleist ProV1s,Taylormade or Callaway balls. Ive played with all three and for me they are every bit as good(but not better) than Titleist Prov1s that I used to play.

1 hour ago, Councillor said:

Kirkland are the COSTCO brand.

They are really a Nassau ball, with Kirkland stamped on them (at least the original run was).  I think @tehuti knows Kirkland is Costco... he’s likely making the point that there is limited availability.

As far as my go to ball... Snell MTB.  Best bang for the buck out there, IMO.  I do also play ProV1 (but only when I get them as a gift, or I’m in a bind and need to purchase some balls immediately).

4 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

They are really a Nassau ball, with Kirkland stamped on them (at least the original run was).  I think @tehuti knows Kirkland is Costco... he’s likely making the point that there is limited availability.

As far as my go to ball... Snell MTB.  Best bang for the buck out there, IMO.  I do also play ProV1 (but only when I get them as a gift, or I’m in a bind and need to purchase some balls immediately).

You are correct. I keep hearing the Kirklands are available, but you can’t order them online and I haven’t seen them in the stores. Still waiting.

Edited by tehuti

6 hours ago, vpdonahue said:

I would recommend trying either VICE PRO,Snell or Kirkland Signature golf balls at half or less than half the price of Titleist ProV1s,Taylormade or Callaway balls. Ive played with all three and for me they are every bit as good(but not better) than Titleist Prov1s that I used to play.

I’m curious enough to try a sleeve of Snell and of Vice just to check them out. Even though I am pretty committed to On Core right now.

I also tried a few of the matte white Volvik balls, but I don’t like how they feel.

Edited by tehuti
Typo

3 hours ago, tehuti said:

I’m curious enough to try a sleeve of Snell and of Vice just to check them out. Even though I am pretty committed to On Core right now.

I also tried a few of the matte white Volvik balls, but I don’t like how they feel.

Snell has a sample pack, 2 sleeves MTB, 2 sleeves Get Sum.  It’s worth giving them a try (even if you’re happy with the OnCore)

Note: This thread is 2289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!