IGNORED

How much hip turn?

Note: This thread is 2919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What are your opinions about the proper amount of hip turn in the back swing. Do you try and keep your hips square to the target line as much as possible? Do you try to turn your hips as much as you can in the back swing? 

Edited by Arthurd561

Definitely NOT the first option. Probably somewhere around 40° is a good number for an amateur to shoot for. 

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Jason day tries to limit hip turn and he's injured his back more times than I can count.

DJ gets really good hip turn and he's one of the longest hitters. Not saying day isn't, but there's two opposites that are both working.. Depends on whether or not you can deal with injury.

That's a great question . .I have no idea, lol. 

I think it depends on your body type, age, flexibility, etc. 

In my case, I need to try and restrict my hip turn in the backswing because I'm out of shape and it's not just my hips that are getting out whack.  I'm not flexible enough to turn just my hips for very far.  I did some flexibility tests designed to show how flexible your hips are or not . .even for my age, my hips are not flexible. 

2 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

Jason day tries to limit hip turn and he's injured his back more times than I can count.

DJ gets really good hip turn and he's one of the longest hitters. Not saying day isn't, but there's two opposites that are both working.. Depends on whether or not you can deal with injury.

Plus, the reason why people restrict their hip turn, the so-called "X factor" or concept of "coiling" has been debunked as hooey.

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

That's a great question . .I have no idea, lol. 

I think it depends on your body type, age, flexibility, etc. 

In my case, I need to try and restrict my hip turn in the backswing because I'm out of shape and it's not just my hips that are getting out whack.  I'm not flexible enough to turn just my hips for very far.  I did some flexibility tests designed to show how flexible your hips are or not . .even for my age, my hips are not flexible. 

Opening and closing your hips would have more to do with the flex in your knees, not any kind of "flexibility "in your hips… 

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Just to be clear, lol . .me restricting my hip turn in the backswing has nothing to do with any kind of "x-factor" . .quite the opposite, lol. 

3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Plus, the reason why people restrict their hip turn, the so-called "X factor" or concept of "coiling" has been debunked as hooey.

Opening and closing your hips would have more to do with the flex in your knees, not any kind of "flexibility "in your hips… 

The test I did is the one where you lay on your belly, bend your knees at 90 degress . .ie . .so your feet are up in the air . .and then try to spread them outwards towards the ground.   60 degrees is supposed to be ideal . .I can barely get mine past vertical.   So whatever that is . .knees or hips or both . .I'm a little stiff, lol.

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Just to be clear, lol . .me restricting my hip turn in the backswing has nothing to do with any kind of "x-factor" . .quite the opposite, lol. 

The test I did is the one where you lay on your belly, bend your knees at 90 degress . .ie . .so your feet are up in the air . .and then try to spread them outwards towards the ground.   60 degrees is supposed to be ideal . .I can barely get mine past vertical.   So whatever that is . .knees or hips or both . .I'm a little stiff, lol.

Right, my response on the x factor thought was not as to why people might try it.

I understand. However, I don't think that type of flexibility has much to do with how open or closed your hips get in the backswing.  If you can turn your hips 45° and your shoulders another 45°, there's a full 90° turn.

Colin P.

10 minutes ago, colin007 said:

This is one of my favorite words! :-) It says so much without being harsh.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

So I see this is a topic that is very much open for debate. My issue I feel is that I am turning my hips to much and that is causing me to not be able to get them far enough around to get to a good impact position. Essentially I am not fast enough turning my hips through the forward swing. I am thinking that if I restrict the hip turn and they do not have to turn as much that this will get me into a better impact position. But how much that should be, or even if this line of though is correct I am unsure of.

Yeah . IMO .. this is exactly the kind of thing you want to see a good instructor for.  You don't want to, like me, spend time trying to practice a move that's never gonna happen . .unless I get younger and skinnier, of course. 

26 minutes ago, Arthurd561 said:

What are your opinions about the proper amount of hip turn in the back swing. Do you try and keep your hips square to the target line as much as possible? Do you try to turn your hips as much as you can in the back swing? 

Let the hips rotate. Most amateurs don't get nearly enough hip rotation and it causes a lot of issues. 

4 minutes ago, Arthurd561 said:

My issue I feel is that I am turning my hips to much and that is causing me to not be able to get them far enough around to get to a good impact position.

Feel doesn't mean it actually happens.

It would be impossible to say with out seeing your swing. 

I would create a My Swing thread in the My Swing section on the forum. Post a video, down the toe line view.  

6 minutes ago, Arthurd561 said:

I am thinking that if I restrict the hip turn and they do not have to turn as much that this will get me into a better impact position. 

It may or may not happen. Most likely this will cause backswing issues with the club path and also cause lateral shift with the hips as you try to make a full swing with out a turn. 

Both are not good. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I was pretty shocked when I was monitored wearing the K-Vest and was told I rotate my hips too much.

According to the K-Vest software, the goal is to rotate the hips to a certain point and then rotate the torso to create additional stretch so that a whipping motion is created starting from the legs, to the hips, the torso and finally the arms and hands.    

I'm not a golf swing expert, just reporting what I learned during my K-Vest session. 

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I was pretty shocked when I was monitored wearing the K-Vest and was told I rotate my hips too much.

Just curious… what was the number?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Just curious… what was the number?

I don't know, I'll have to ask and will post it when he gets back to me.  My swing analysis showed 5 flaws, over turning of the hips was considered the major one that I've been working on eliminating because it impacted the firing sequence of my hips and torso on the downswing (they fired too close together).   

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I don't know, I'll have to ask and will post it when he gets back to me.  My swing analysis showed 5 flaws, over turning of the hips was considered the major one that I've been working on eliminating because it impacted the firing sequence of my hips and torso on the downswing (they fired too close together).   

I'd be happy to look at your swing, quickly, if you want to post it as unlisted on YouTube or something.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'd be happy to look at your swing, quickly, if you want to post it as unlisted on YouTube or something.

Thanks, I don't have a recent video of it but I'll take one and post it as soon as I do.  Do you think the K-Vest is wrong?  

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
Just now, newtogolf said:

Thanks, I don't have a recent video of it but I'll take one and post it as soon as I do.  Do you think the K-Vest is wrong?  

No. Just a curiosity at this point.

8 hours ago, Arthurd561 said:

I don't know that this will add anything to what's already been said, but the very first thing my Evolvr instructor told me was that I open my hips up too much, too early. But that was likely due to me taking a good idea and just over doing it.

Two months later and I'm still working on gradually starting the hip turn at the right time (which I think is after A2), and trying to determine how much is too much as I get to the top.

Jon

Note: This thread is 2919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!