IGNORED

Fix my chipping and sand shots

Note: This thread is 2945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Help! I need help chipping around the greens. I have been taught the Some some, Some No and No No story, but I still often hit the ground or blade it. What can I do to correct this? Also, I am TERRIBLE out of the sand. I have always been taught to aim for 1 inch behind the ball (this is when chipping from the sand, not long distance) but I often get all sand or all ball. I welcome all mockery, as long as you provide a tip. (that's what she said).

Thanks in advance.

Here's a good start.  Pay careful attention to everything.  Take notes, practice in front of a mirror.  Don't force anything, let momentum control the distance.  Longer chips need longer clubs.  1/3 in the air, 2/3 on the ground.

Basic no frills bunker shot. Practice this for about 4 hrs in a practice bunker - you don't have to do it all at once. But after 4 hrs of practice you'll never have problems in a bunker again. 30 mins a session.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:29 PM, Costanza1980 said:

Help! I need help chipping around the greens. I have been taught the Some some, Some No and No No story, but I still often hit the ground or blade it. What can I do to correct this? Also, I am TERRIBLE out of the sand. I have always been taught to aim for 1 inch behind the ball (this is when chipping from the sand, not long distance) but I often get all sand or all ball. I welcome all mockery, as long as you provide a tip. (that's what she said).

Thanks in advance.

I think a huge key to learn is how to use the bounce on your wedges around the green. It's OK to hit the ground. You want your wedge to slide along the ground and contact the ball without digging in.

You won't fix this with a single tip. Lot's of great info on this site and others about all things you can do to be decent around the greens. Setup, ball position, shaft angle at setup and through the ball, grip etc., are all important.

Good luck finding what works for you.

P.S. I've taken numerous short game lessons in the 30 years I've played the game and not one instructor addressed or explained using the bounce of the wedge to me. I learned more about it on the Golf channel, this site, and other sites online.

On April 11, 2016 at 5:29 PM, Costanza1980 said:

Thanks in advance.

What is the Some some, some No and No No story?

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You might want look into Paul Runyon's technique on chipping. He has videos on U-Tube also. With his technique it's not as easy to "stub" your before hitting the ball.

Another plus is the set up, grip, and stroke are pretty much the same as the putting set up, grip, and stroke. You practice one, you are practicing the other. 

I use it from time to time, and I know it works. Sometimes I play the whole 18 holes with it. I even use it for short pitch shots. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

(edited)

The story of some some, some no, and no no goes like this.  There are three Chinese brothers that are named some some, some no, and no no. Some some is a super tall brother, some no is medium height and no no is the short brother. Basically,  it has to do with wrist movement on your chip shots and if you have some on your backswing and some on your front swing your shot will go higher and if you have someone your backswing but none on your front swing your shot will go medium and if you have none on your backswing and not on your front swing then you will have a low running shot. 

Edited by Costanza1980

15 minutes ago, Costanza1980 said:

The story of some some, some no, and no no goes like this.  There are three Chinese brothers that are named some some, some no, and no no. Some some is a super tall brother, some no is medium height and no no is the short brother. Basically,  it has to do with wrist movement on your chip shots and if you have some on your backswing and some on your front swing your shot will go higher and if you have someone your backswing but none on your front swing your shot will go medium and if you have none on your backswing and not on your front swing then you will have a low running shot. 

Thanks, never heard that.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

3 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

What is the Some some, some No and No No story?

What is "things my wife will allow me to do with her on our anniversary night Alex". 

• Upvote 1

On April 11, 2016 at 4:29 PM, Costanza1980 said:

Thanks in advance.

I started out aiming with the leading edge and hitting 1 inch behind the ball in the sand and that works well for me for beginner . As I played more and got use to different lies in the sand play around with open the SW and activate the bounce  there is still a lot of feel needed to get how "heavy" of sand I need to discharge    It's like a fat lob shot to me. If the ball is above my feet in the sand I tend to use more off the heel bounce and bring my hands down. If the ball is at the back bunker and downhill lie and buried use the leading edge and hit steep "chunk and run" 

chipping is just a different motion for me. I use the topline to aim with and play around with hooding and shaft lean   Tougher lie for chipping for me is if the ball sits up on fuffy lie then I use the set up for sand motion with lob type shot  and try to flop off the toe. 

Edited by dchoye

10 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

What is "things my wife will allow me to do with her on our anniversary night Alex". 

Lol.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 2945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!