IGNORED

Increased Swing Speed with Overspeed Training - 1st impressions

Note: This thread is 2910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Increased Swing Speed with Overspeed Training - 1st impressions

My 1st impression: Wow!!

Look at the chart below, I've increased my swing speed by more than 10 mph in 10 days with 5 short sessions (I'm guessing about 10 to 15 minutes per session).

Equipment used:

Swing Speed Radar

Two graphite driver shafts with grips, one with 25 grams of weight taped to the end (a large nut), and one with 40 grams taped to the end (this one was added after the first two sessions). I may add more weight later but for now I'm thinking, I'm making progress so, “If it ain't broke, don't fix it”.

One graphite 7 iron shaft with grip and no weight.

Golf mat, net, foam balls.

I based my program off of the video I posted below and here is specifically what I am doing:

Note that before every one of these “exercises” I take about 5 warmup swings at about ½ to ¾ speed.

1. Hit about three foam balls and mark down my highest swing speed (SS). This is my baseline for the session.

2. Swing the driver shaft with 25 grams about 10 to 15 times, mark down my highest SS and my approximate average SS.

3. Swing the driver shaft with 40 grams about 10 to 15 times, mark down my highest SS and my approximate average SS.

4. Swing the 7 iron shaft with no weight added right hand only about 10 to 15 times, mark down my highest SS.

5. Swing the 7 iron shaft with no weight added left hand only about 10 to 15 times, mark down my highest SS.

6. Do step number's 2 thru 5 again but as a left handed golfer, I don't mark SS for these. This is to just balance the exercise by doing it to both sides.

7. End the session by hitting about three foam balls and mark down my highest swing speed (SS).

In conclusion:

I think this has worked so well for me because I wasn't swinging near my potential swing speed. This overspeed training helped me realize that I can swing faster and has started to get me used to swing faster. If you are like me in that you don't swing near your potential, I reccomend you give this a try.

My results so far:

Overspeed training.JPG

The video that inspired me to try this:

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice work @No Mulligans. I saw this video and did the program a few winters ago. Downside being the extra SS will go away if you stop doing the training program with regularly.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

14 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Nice work @No Mulligans. I saw this video and did the program a few winters ago. Downside being the extra SS will go away if you stop doing the training program with regularly.

Good to know.  I'm going to stick with this until I hit a plateau.  I'm guessing I've already seen most of the improvement that I'll get.  After that I want to figure out how often I  need to do the routine to maintain the SS.  I'm hoping it will be something like once a week.

Being 58, not a strong guy at 150 lbs. and 5'11", and no one ever called me fast at any time in my life, ... given all that, I'm pretty happy that I'm flirting with a 90 mph SS.

5 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Good to know.  I'm going to stick with this until I hit a plateau.  I'm guessing I've already seen most of the improvement that I'll get.  After that I want to figure out how often I  need to do the routine to maintain the SS.  I'm hoping it will be something like once a week.

Being 58, not a strong guy at 150 lbs. and 5'11", and no one ever called me fast at any time in my life, ... given all that, I'm pretty happy that I'm flirting with a 90 mph SS.

75mph was not even close to what I would consider your potential, and I'm sure you can work a bit more to get more than 90mph.

Good job so far!

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I wonder if this would be worthwhile for me to do. I mean I don't necessarily need more swing speed and distance, but maybe it will also have the by product of helping me keeping in balance and help with the "fast hands" portion of correcting my flip.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I bought a swing speed radar and I found out that I could get 105 in the backyard and about 100 on the course when actually playing. My brother and I did a similar speed program three times a week for eight weeks and we both picked up about 10 mph. I can now get 115 in the backyard and 110 on the course. It feels like I am swinging the same speed on the course but my numbers all went up along with 20 extra yards on good drives. Very happy with the results.

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

It looks interesting, but given @SavvySwede's response, I know I won't stick with the program so I would ultimately gain nothing. Might as well save myself the extra work ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

It looks interesting, but given @SavvySwede's response, I know I won't stick with the program so I would ultimately gain nothing. Might as well save myself the extra work ;-)

Out of curiosity, why would you stop?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Out of curiosity, why would you stop?

Only so much time in the day

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

5 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Only so much time in the day

Yup, pretty much. I'm also not much of a structured practice person. After doing a training program for a bit, I'll get bored and just stop.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Yup, pretty much. I'm also not much of a structured practice person. After doing a training program for a bit, I'll get bored and just stop.

Yeah, exercising for health - way to many benefits (stave off diseases/medical issues, brain works better, get out into the sun, socialize, etc...) to offset the repetitive monotonous boredom - and you feel good after you exercise. This for a little higher SS (*if* it really works), not worth it. Would rather just integrate a couple of golf speed specific exercises into the normal workout.

Spoiler

:offtopic:Don't know the full details, but MTI, the guy charged a yearly fee for his golf pay site, then dropped it to do something else, if what I read on golfwrx is right - I could be wrong on this, no proportional to time remaining on subscription refund.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Maybe the attitude is different in SoCal or other places where you can play year round golf.

I get bored playing the courses all the time, and could use stuff like this to break that monotony. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

@billchao, @nevets88, @SavvySwede

To the point of not wanting or being able to keep up with a program like this.

I'm hoping after I've plateaued, whenever that happens, to maintain this by doing the routine just once a week.  Time will tell.

And second of all, I keep a "speed stick" in my bag and a handful of overspeed swings is part of my warm up whenever I'm starting a round or hitting at the range.  This doesn't really change my warm up time, it feels good, and perhaps this is all it will take to maintain any gains I achieve.

(A "speed stick" also can double as an alignment stick).

18 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I'm hoping after I've plateaued, whenever that happens, to maintain this by doing the routine just once a week.  Time will tell.

And second of all, I keep a "speed stick" in my bag and a handful of overspeed swings is part of my warm up whenever I'm starting a round or hitting at the range.  This doesn't really change my warm up time, it feels good, and perhaps this is all it will take to maintain any gains I achieve.

Actually, I was thinking that at least part of your routine in your OP could be used for warmup. I usually swing about 20-30 half swings to warmup up then do about 5 slow full swing drills. With and without the stuttering at the top to feel the transition. So, it would take about the same amount of time anyway.

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

5 hours ago, Lihu said:

Maybe the attitude is different in SoCal or other places where you can play year round golf.

I get bored playing the courses all the time, and could use stuff like this to break that monotony. :-P

Screw you buddy :-P

Kevin

3 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Screw you buddy :-P

:whistle:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

16 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Keep us posted.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

In retrospect, I think that once you activate the feel in your body to "want more speed" you might not even need to do this training any more. I think it's really great and should be part of anyone's training program.

Thumbs up to @No Mulligans, nice work, Frank.

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!