IGNORED

Happy 50th John Daly

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He won't pull me into watching the Champions Tour but I wish him well.  

Current points leader is Woody Austin.  JD HAS to be better than him, right?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

8 minutes ago, Gunther said:

He won't pull me into watching the Champions Tour but I wish him well.  

Current points leader is Woody Austin.  JD HAS to be better than him, right?

Better or not, Woody may be just as crazy as Long John on the golf course.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

There's something about him that I've always liked - maybe it's the the fact that he has such incredible talent wrapped up in that mess and it'll resurface one day. I usually get frustrated by people who waste (or otherwise don't show respect for) their talents but I don't think that's the case with John because he's somehow managed to stick to it and hang on - a perpetual journey to find himself.  A lot of guys would have just thrown in the towel or completely imploded (I'm sure the odds of him even being alive were stacked against him) but he's sticks with the grind and ham-and-egged his way around the past 10-15 years.  His fiancé probably gets most of the credit for him being upright.

I think the Champions Tour will be great for him and I truly want to see him find a groove again.  I'll be attending the Constellation Sr. Players Championship in June (am actually volunteering through my club) and look forward to seeing him there. 

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

JohnDaly2.jpg

Aging like a fine wine. A fine wine in a plastic bucket that has been left in a hot shed for few years.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

One thing you can say about Daly, there is no pretense - what you see is what you get.  He really is just an ordinary guy with a freaky talent for golf.  He's had some issues with alcohol and relationships that left a bad taste, but if he has managed to get that under some level of control as he says, then I see no real downside for him.  He loves playing competitive golf, and this is just another step for him.  

I think It would actually be fun playing with him, and I can't say that about a lot of the mainstream players these days.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

One thing you can say about Daly, there is no pretense - what you see is what you get.  He really is just an ordinary guy with a freaky talent for golf.  He's had some issues with alcohol and relationships that left a bad taste, but if he has managed to get that under some level of control as he says, then I see no real downside for him.  He loves playing competitive golf, and this is just another step for him.  

I think It would actually be fun playing with him, and I can't say that about a lot of the mainstream players these days.

Agreed. And the Champions Tour may just be the place for him find some glory in his twilight. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I remember recently reading some where, that JD is still a top 10 draw at tournaments. 4 or 5 years ago he was a top 5 draw. When Tiger was at his best JD usually had the 2nd, or 3rd largest gallery in some tournaments. 

We once had our coaches parked next to each other. Some where near Ft Worth. Said hello to each other, and some small talk. He has a really nice motor home. He is also pretty good with his guitar. 

I followed him a few times in some tournaments. I just thought he was a normal guy with a gift. A guy who was always fan friendly. He will add some ticket sales for the Champions' Tour once he gets going. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

13 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

JohnDaly2.jpg

Aging like a fine wine. A fine wine in a plastic bucket that has been left in a hot shed for few years.

He's the Keith Richards of the golfing world. Like Richards, as other golfers pass, Daly will get stronger and stronger. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

He's the Keith Richards of the golfing world. Like Richards, as other golfers pass, Daly will get stronger and stronger. 

The Quickening!

lol. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.

47 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

The Quickening!

lol. 

That means a really good book is coming out soon. :-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Sick and tired of seeing Daly on TV .... he has no magic left and is just another washed up PGA golfer (has been for a long time).   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

5 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Sick and tired of seeing Daly on TV .... he has no magic left and is just another washed up PGA golfer (has been for a long time).   

Just another washed up PGA golfer. Kind of hits home for a 15.5 handicap;-)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Natural Patrick said:

Just another washed up PGA golfer. Kind of hits home for a 15.5 handicap;-)

Unlike Daly, I am still improving ... :-P.   My best is yet to come whereas Daly's best was gone forever.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

7 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Unlike Daly, I am still improving ... :-P.   My best is yet to come whereas Daly's best was gone forever.   

Probably true. but I still think he gets a win some where down the line on the Champions tour.

4 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

Probably true. but I still think he gets a win some where down the line on the Champions tour.

That's possible but who watches (or care about) Champions Tour?   I'd rather watch College Championship, Euro Tour, LPGA, than the Champions. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

4 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

That's possible but who watches (or care about) Champions Tour?   I'd rather watch College Championship, Euro Tour, LPGA, than the Champions. 

So we get it - you don't like Daly and you don't like old golfers.... someday you'll be one.  Maybe you'll be a bit more mellow by then. :~(

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 2909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!