IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge May 2016

iacas
Note: This thread is 2893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5/19/16:

Played 27 holes. I stunk it up again... I need to be a range rat the next week or so to figure out what the hell I'm Doing wrong from inside 100 yards 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Worrying video feedback left me working on my posture, spend 30 mins at the indoor range working on it and hitting the odd ball in between to see how it worked with a ball. Slow progress.

Hi, My name is Matt.

So, the main issue now is that the half swings look more like full swings because I turn my hips and shoulders all the way back. So, instead of doing pure half swings, I take it to the top from A3 and back down to A6 really slowly. Taking it back down from the top to A6 is purely moving the hips and letting my hips initiate the movement with a lateral slide forward then rotation almost in sequence. I'm still playing around with the exact "timing" in slow motion. Once I get to A6 I make my usual half swing using purely the hip rotation to get through impact. Still work in progress.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

5/20/16:

Played 9 today. Didn't keep score. Just working on figuring out Shot Zones. Will say I'm driving the ball well, my irons need work. I'm probably going to be a range rat on Sunday and Monday... 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

45 minutes at range doing same A4-A6 drills, followed by full swing. Too bright to review video on scene, so I need to learn how to crank up the brightness on the camera readout! But reviewing now for submission to Evolvr. Appears I'm hitting a wall with the progress, but I think it's some progress from two weeks ago, when I started this steepness issue.

I feel like my mind has a totally different picture of the full swing now. Shorter backswing getting ingrained. Right elbow better. Club sorta, kinda dropping down from the top and a bit less steep. Progress, but so far able to hold onto gains and not backslide. What I'm proudest of is honestly that it's just starting to get natural to think about the swing in this new way. Feels like a breakthrough- even if results aren't too great yet. First time in a while I feel like my mind has changed the picture of what I should be doing.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Got about 15 minutes in today. 10 doing slow mo My tee shot drill and 5 pitching with SW using net inside.Ive been doing the slow mo swing as my PSR on course. 

Under construction, signature and game.

Got to the range again.  When I did the focused backswing, start downswing, check it, bring it slowly to the ball, rewind to A4 or A5, and swing, I hit some amazing shots -- largely straight with an occasional small slice (but beyond what could be called a fade).  Yet when I did a full swing, more thin than anything else.  I'll have to grab some video tomorrow.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I played 9 holes.  This time, at a "real" golf course . .not the executive-length tracks I usually play on.  I started off strong with a 2 putt par on the opening par 4.  Then I got on the bogey-train for the next 5 holes until I hit my drive OB on #7 and tripled it.  I bogeyed 8 and parred 9. 

My instructor actually requested me to start playing and keeping stats on GIR, O.B drives, # of putts, etc.  My stats for 9  holes were:

GIR : 2 (parred both of those)

#Putts - 19

Shots OB - 1

Score - 45. 

So, clearly and as I thought . .when it comes to my score . .my GIR and my chipping are killing me.  I didn't chip anything within 1-putt distance and the only good chip I had was a miracle "get out of jail" shot that was amazing to get within 15 feet. 

I actually think, at my level, just playing more is probably the best thing to do.  I don't have a real way to practice my approach shots or chips.  Obviously I hit irons at the range and I can certainly chip a bit in my backyard . . but as far as "real practice facilities" go. . I'm a little lacking there.

Stopped at the course and practiced putting.  Did a little chipping and easy full swings in the backyard.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

54 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

I played 9 holes.  This time, at a "real" golf course . .not the executive-length tracks I usually play on.  I started off strong with a 2 putt par on the opening par 4.  Then I got on the bogey-train for the next 5 holes until I hit my drive OB on #7 and tripled it.  I bogeyed 8 and parred 9. 

My instructor actually requested me to start playing and keeping stats on GIR, O.B drives, # of putts, etc.  My stats for 9  holes were:

#Putts - 19

Shots OB - 1

Score - 45. 

So, clearly and as I thought . .when it comes to my score . .my GIR and my chipping are killing me.  I didn't chip anything within 1-putt distance and the only good chip I had was a miracle "get out of jail" shot that was amazing to get within 15 feet. 

I actually think, at my level, just playing more is probably the best thing to do.  I don't have a real way to practice my approach shots or chips.  Obviously I hit irons at the range and I can certainly chip a bit in my backyard . . but as far as "real practice facilities" go. . I'm a little lacking there.

Actually . .I miscounted, lol.  I was making dinner and was like - wait, I did one-putt that one close chip. . so I dbl checked the card: 

#Putts - 18 (7 2 putts, 1 3 putt and 1 1 putt). 

Shots OB - 1

Score - 44. 

Edited by Rainmaker

Rehearsed my pre-shot routine and set-up for 5 minutes. Trying to capture the relaxed right-side feel of yesterday's range session.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

11 hours ago, Lihu said:

So, the main issue now is that the half swings look more like full swings because I turn my hips and shoulders all the way back. So, instead of doing pure half swings, I take it to the top from A3 and back down to A6 really slowly. Taking it back down from the top to A6 is purely moving the hips and letting my hips initiate the movement with a lateral slide forward then rotation almost in sequence. I'm still playing around with the exact "timing" in slow motion. Once I get to A6 I make my usual half swing using purely the hip rotation to get through impact. Still work in progress.

Horrible path, need to work on this more.

I hit a bunch of duck-hooks, then aimed the club path out away from my path and seemed to fix my last two drives which were acceptable.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Bit short of time today, so limited to 10 mins checking new posture efforts and another 10 checking putting alignment with mirror

Hi, My name is Matt.

16 hours ago, Shindig said:

Got to the range again.  When I did the focused backswing, start downswing, check it, bring it slowly to the ball, rewind to A4 or A5, and swing, I hit some amazing shots -- largely straight with an occasional small slice (but beyond what could be called a fade).  Yet when I did a full swing, more thin than anything else.  I'll have to grab some video tomorrow.  

I can relate. I might start a thread on our frustrations on speeding up from mirror work and slow motion mapping like you describe. How come it's so hard to speed up and keep form??!!! Argh. Maybe people will have insights into how they've been able to improve this ability. Or maybe there's a thread on this already? I know this isn't the right place- just wanted to commiserate.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Fixing a hole in my home net. My son told me that he used it for a chipping target. I'll leave that target for him, but fixing the net for other people to use it. :-P

In the meantime, my ever lasting saga with my 240fps fixed mount cameras is still going. . .working on the design of my iphone adapter.

Still doing these:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Chipping in the backyard again and slow full swings.

For chipping, I experimented with three clubs: 52, 56, 60.  I decided to take the the 60 deg. wedge out of the bag.  

For the slow full swings I was mostly focusing on the takeaway and backswing

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Range, same routine as the last few sessions, but got some video this time -- both for me an evolvr.  I'll post an update in my "My Swing!" thread later today, too. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 2893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!