IGNORED

Carry-on one Driver golf club in airplane? US and to Eurpoe?

danielS
Note: This thread is 2799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There's an entry on Critical Golf  that breaks down what you are allowed to carry by each airline. According to them, you are allowed golf clubs but each airline has different regulations on the size, weight, and number. While I haven't tried to take golf clubs on an airline in quite awhile, I think my strategy would be to bring a telescoping club that breaks down and can be carried in a very small hard case and hopefully that would pass muster by most of the airlines.

ProVictoryOPT_logo.jpg

1 hour ago, KarenS said:

...I think my strategy would be to bring a telescoping club that breaks down and can be carried in a very small hard case ...

A telescoping club ... that is a new one for me.  Do you actually own such a club?  I imagine that the club could be conforming if the telescoping feature was not adjusted during a round. It is hard to imagine a shaft performing well that "telescopes" but who knows. 

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

A telescoping club ... that is a new one for me.  Do you actually own such a club?  I imagine that the club could be conforming if the telescoping feature was not adjusted during a round. It is hard to imagine a shaft performing well that "telescopes" but who knows. 

Lol pretty sure he means a telescopic rod, stiff arm.. although a telescoping club would be interesting to see :)

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

On 7/15/2016 at 5:58 PM, bkuehn1952 said:

Well, I have one in my possession... I work for a golf manufacturer and a few years ago they were going to come out with their own model. While they never brought the product to market, we have a number of prototypes floating around the office. I'm pretty sure there are a number of companies that make them if you Google it. I have not spent much time using the product, because I really haven't had a need for it. I think it is a brilliant idea, although I am not positive if it is conforming.

Edited by KarenS
word choice

ProVictoryOPT_logo.jpg

• 1 month later...

Many years ago, the airlines had a brouha with golfers about carry-on clubs and came up with this rule: You could carry three golf clubs onboard in some sort of plastic tube with caps at both ends. Golf Digest even had coverage on it.

The big debate among golfers was, which three clubs?

Golf gurus advised it be your driver, your favorite wedge and your putter - the most personal clubs in your bags.

(Golfers would carry on these three super clubs, and then rent the remainder at their destination. Golfers richer than me, at least.)

My old rule was, never play a strange driver on the road. Rented clubs: tee off with the 3W.

Anyone remember the year on the old 3-club rule?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I just don't understand the drama of this thread. chances are very good if you check the bags the your clubs will be there when you land, if they aren't there when you land they will find you quickly...sure it is possible they get lost - it is also possible the plane crashes or that you die on the flight...I mean really this is what you stress about while traveling?

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

19 minutes ago, Lefty-Golfer said:

I just don't understand the drama of this thread. chances are very good if you check the bags the your clubs will be there when you land, if they aren't there when you land they will find you quickly...sure it is possible they get lost - it is also possible the plane crashes or that you die on the flight...I mean really this is what you stress about while traveling?

You obviously do not travel internationally very often. I don't either but I have heard enough horror stories about regular damage, theft and loss of luggage when traveling internationally.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

27 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

You obviously do not travel internationally very often. I don't either but I have heard enough horror stories about regular damage, theft and loss of luggage when traveling internationally.

That's because you only hear the horror stories! Nobody ever posts on Facebook: "Just landed, and our luggage was there and in perfect condition!" 

- John

1 minute ago, Hardspoon said:

That's because you only hear the horror stories! Nobody ever posts on Facebook: "Just landed, and our luggage was there and in perfect condition!" 

Maybe because it rarely happens :-P

44 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Maybe because it rarely happens :-P

I do travel with my clubs on a pretty regular basis.  I've never had any of my equipment stolen or damaged.  On one or two occasions over the last 20 years I've had a bag that didn't come with me, but it showed up within a day, delivered to my lodging or home.  I do pack carefully, and use a high-quality golf travel bag, but I really don't worry about my luggage when I travel.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I do travel with my clubs on a pretty regular basis.  I've never had any of my equipment stolen or damaged.  On one or two occasions over the last 20 years I've had a bag that didn't come with me, but it showed up within a day, delivered to my lodging or home.  I do pack carefully, and use a high-quality golf travel bag, but I really don't worry about my luggage when I travel.  

I think it also depends on where you travel. I have heard about people having issues in areas like Turkey and Italy.

2 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I think it also depends on where you travel. I have heard about people having issues in areas like Turkey and Italy.

That makes some sense, although I have no idea if its true.  But overall, I'm with @Lefty-Golfer, I just don't worry about travelling with checked baggage, including golf clubs.  There's no doubt that you have to include the cost for checking luggage into your planning, and its probably a good thing to use good quality luggage, but in my experience damage or loss to checked baggage is pretty rare.  

On 7/15/2016 at 3:58 PM, KarenS said:

There's an entry on Critical Golf  that breaks down what you are allowed to carry by each airline. According to them, you are allowed golf clubs but each airline has different regulations on the size, weight, and number. While I haven't tried to take golf clubs on an airline in quite awhile, I think my strategy would be to bring a telescoping club that breaks down and can be carried in a very small hard case and hopefully that would pass muster by most of the airlines.

I found that Critical Golf article, and they talk only about checked luggage.  They don't say anything about carrying a club in the passenger compartment as carry-on.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

...  There's no doubt that you have to include the cost for checking luggage into your planning, and its probably a good thing to use good quality luggage, but in my experience damage or loss to checked baggage is pretty rare. ...

My wife and I like to travel Southwest Airlines because SWA counts your golf bag carrier as one of two free checked bags. Only stipulation - each bag's weight must be less than 50 pounds.

If you're traveling with a semi-soft bag carrier, make sure you take balance into account when packing. If you have four 12-boxes of golf balls stacked in among the clubheads, the concentrated weight could cause the cover to rip. I've seen a couple of bag carriers come down the baggage carousel in a plastic trough, with golf shoes or other items poking through the sides. (Not mine, fortunately).

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

4 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

If you have four 12-boxes of golf balls stacked in among the clubheads, 

Four dozen, really???  Does anyone really take 4 dozen balls with them?  

As for weight, this came up on another thread about travel bags.  We have a luggage scale that we use to make sure each of our bags is under 50 pounds.  Its even more important when we're coming back home with souvenirs!

Dave

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Four dozen, really???  Does anyone really take 4 dozen balls with them?

Sir, you have a 3.8 HI. you wouldn't understand...

I take about two dozen; some people take a lot more.

JetBlue, for example, let's you check a golf bag. BUT, they inspect: you get the bag, 14 clubs, three balls and one pair of shoes.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Sir, you have a 3.8 HI. you wouldn't understand...

My HI is mid 30's. I can't imagine needing to take more than a dozen balls on a trip. I guess it depends on the length of your trip etc. but if you're going somewhere to play golf, chances are that you'll be able to buy more balls there should you need them.

Im kinda sorta in the airline business and all my friends and family work in the biz. As the op said, he made it with the club he was taking, but not carry on. That has less to do with tsa and overall security as it does airline carry on policy. Each airline has their own policy. Policies typically ban long or large items from the cabin so that all customers are afforded apt use of the overhead bins and to prevent delays. When airlines run out of overhead space, then bags must be checked at gate which is bad for everyone. Bags checked at gate often cause operational delays and sometimes jetway checked luggage is overlooked. (Not lost, but misses flight and has to await the next one) When travelling best thing is to check tsa website and the carrier u plan to travel on. If you dont find adequate info on those two websites to help you, play it safe and call the airline's reservation number and they should be able to offer you the most definitive answers. That being said, here is some great advice for those travelling with clubs:

1: Invest in a hard case for your clubs

2: Pack lightly

3: Always arrive on time. Most luggage mishaps occur when bags are late checked or checked in the jetway prior to departure.

Safe travels to all.

• Upvote 2

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:44 AM, Valleygolfer said:

Big golf destinations!! Next Golf trip to Turkey I am going to take my driver on the plane with me and hope the rest of the bag shows up...I can play with 13 rentals (from a course in Turkey) no problem as long as I have my driver...oh jeez my head hurts just typing these words!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Note: This thread is 2799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!