Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

On 6/8/2016 at 8:33 AM, David in FL said:

Yup.

I guess it's possible, but I can't think of ever seeing a drop zone other than on a par-3.  

In the past, I have seen a couple of par 4s in Myrtle Beach that had drop zones on par 4s.  I believe one of them was Diamond Back.  Possibly the other one was Legends Parkland.  I am guessing they were to speed up play and keep someone from wandering off into the crap. 

Edited by RickK

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

On 6/8/2016 at 11:52 AM, sjduffers said:

I've got an example of a drop zone on a par 4. Hole #9 at Eagle Ridge in Gilroy, CA.

It's a downhill tee shot, in a canyon which funnels balls towards the middle of the fairway from the left side, with a LWH on the right side. Down there, for the second shot, there is a forced carry over a barranca (jungle, junk) which is a WH, but the width of the opening to fly over that barranca is small, and if one considers all the angles they could be coming from hitting that second shot, it becomes impossible to line up the 4th shot with the flag and the point of entry, unless you do it very near the WH itself. To alleviate that problem, there is a DZ near the middle of the opening, just past where the fairway ends.  So, someone a little too eager with their drive could well end up in the DZ (and call themselves lucky that the ball didn't roll out another 5 yards into the WH).

EagleRidge#9.jpg

If you go into the lateral hazard to the right, what is to keep you from dropping on the other side of the hazard?  It looks like a decent percentage of the time this would leave you a clear shot to the green.  Even without a clear shot, at least you've taken the hazard out of play on your next shot.

This would result in a potential pace of play problem unless you're riding in a cart and possible put you in the line of fire of those playing the other hole.  But, if that's within the rules then some will do it.

Perhaps the drop zone is there to encourage players not to drop on the other side of the hazard.  From a course manager point of view, the DZ seems like a reasonable compromise.

On 6/8/2016 at 0:32 PM, iacas said:

Right. Courses over-use drop zones for pace of play reasons. If it's a tough shot and you fail, lay up or pitch out there next time. :-)

That hole doesn't need a drop zone. Just my opinion.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

If you go into the lateral hazard to the right, what is to keep you from dropping on the other side of the hazard?  It looks like a decent percentage of the time this would leave you a clear shot to the green.  Even without a clear shot, at least you've taken the hazard out of play on your next shot.

This would result in a potential pace of play problem unless you're riding in a cart.  But, if that's within the rules then I'd do it and make up time elsewhere.

Perhaps the drop zone is there to encourage players not to drop on the other side of the hazard.

It's not obvious from the satellite picture, but the water hazard on the right side is under those dense trees, and there is a very steep drop, maybe 50ft or more, where hardly anybody would venture to retrieve a ball, much less climb it back on the other side, and with 2 club lengths on the other side, you'd still be under those dense trees and you'd have zero chance to do anything but advance the ball towards the tee box of the adjacent hole at the bottom of the picture here (probably not a good idea in general given that other players would be coming that way)...

You're right that the other side of the hazard in a LWH situation is something that a lot of people never think about and it can be of immense help. But not here, sorry.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

11 hours ago, RickK said:

In the past, I have seen a couple of par 4s in Myrtle Beach that had drop zones on par 4s.  I believe one of them was Diamond Back.  Possibly the other one was Legends Parkland.  I am guessing they were to speed up play and keep someone from wandering off into the crap. 

There are dozens of DZs on par 4's and 5's in Myrtle Beach. On our Hard Card (Golf Academy  of America) I added: "Disregard all Dropping Zones" since the vast majority are incorrectly situated.

• 8 years later...

I saw a situation with my high school daughter where she hit her tee ball into a drop zone that was actually on the fairway. The hole was a par 5 slight dog leg to the right with water directly to the right as well. The tournament set up a 4-5 ft diameter drop zone in the fairway and it was hole 18 and had about 30-40 divots in it by the time my daughter got there. Her ball landed right in the middle of a very large one. The random high school coach from another team made my daughter play it as it lied and it just didn’t make sense to actually hit a fairway and get that lie in such a heavily concentrated area. I didn’t say anything as parents aren’t supposed to be involved but I went back into the clubhouse after the round and asked the pro shop and they said it is absolutely a free drop outside the drop zone and to treat it as ground under repair. She should have played two balls and disputed the ruling as it would have likely saved a shot or two as her next shot went directly into the water on the horrible lie. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Howard said:

I saw a situation with my high school daughter where she hit her tee ball into a drop zone that was actually on the fairway. The hole was a par 5 slight dog leg to the right with water directly to the right as well. The tournament set up a 4-5 ft diameter drop zone in the fairway and it was hole 18 and had about 30-40 divots in it by the time my daughter got there. Her ball landed right in the middle of a very large one. The random high school coach from another team made my daughter play it as it lied and it just didn’t make sense to actually hit a fairway and get that lie in such a heavily concentrated area. I didn’t say anything as parents aren’t supposed to be involved but I went back into the clubhouse after the round and asked the pro shop and they said it is absolutely a free drop outside the drop zone and to treat it as ground under repair. She should have played two balls and disputed the ruling as it would have likely saved a shot or two as her next shot went directly into the water on the horrible lie. 

Welcome to TST, Jeremy.  And thanks for  using the Search feature, but given the age of the post you revived, you'd have been fine starting a new thread.

As for the question, the Dropping Zone is part of the General Area.  If its defined as GUR, what does a player do who actually uses the DZ?  After she drops, is her ball in GUR, so she gets additional relief?  I'm afraid the coach was right.  Of course she DOES have the right to play two balls and ask for a Ruling when she finishes, but I'm afraid its just a bit of bad luck for her to end up in that divot hole.

• Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

So the ‘free drop outside the drop zone’ is incorrect @DaveP043?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

So the ‘free drop outside the drop zone’ is incorrect @DaveP043?

I'm not sure what you're asking about.  I didn't review the entire old thread, only the recent post by @Jeremy Howard

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

29 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm not sure what you're asking about.  I didn't review the entire old thread, only the recent post by @Jeremy Howard

the pro shop and they said it is absolutely a free drop outside the drop zone.

This was from @Jeremy Howard. I’m referring to this most recent post too. The pro shop said she could’ve dropped OUTSIDE the drop zone. It GUR is marked…you’re saying one cannot drop outside the marked area?

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

This was from @Jeremy Howard. I’m referring to this most recent post too. The pro shop said she could’ve dropped OUTSIDE the drop zone. It GUR is marked…you’re saying one cannot drop outside the marked area?

Yes, the pro shop was wrong.

If the drop zone was GUR, @DaveP043 pointed out that what is someone who drops in the drop zone to do? Get another drop out of it?

Golf has good and bad breaks, like life. Sorry to your daughter, @Jeremy Howard, but she had to play it (as she did). Some of my best memories and best shots are where I overcame some obstacle or bad break.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

My apologies, I clearly didn't go back and read the entire post, you're right to ask the question.  In a high-school competition, I'd be surprised if the pro shop was the authority, the Committee.  I've worked a few high school events, and its usually a small number of the coaches involved, and any actual officials they've been able to get to volunteer.  As has been mentioned in a number of threads over the years, golf professionals don't always have great knowledge of the rules, or may occasionally prefer to manufacture rulings to help keep players happy or keep play moving..  

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave