IGNORED

USA Absolutely Destroying Costa Rica (2016 Copa America Centenario)

bwdial
Note: This thread is 2857 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4-0.  Could be 6 or 7 based on chances.  Looking much better than they did against Colombia.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Much different opponent.   The US had multiple chances and at times looked real good but had several defensive lapses which if playing against a better team could have been costly.   Any way you look at the +4 differential is huge.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

8 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I would hope so. What's the population of Costa Rica vs the United States?

Your logic is lacking.   If that was the case, China would win every event they entered.   Soccer to most countries is bigger than most of the US sports combined.   Sure they might not have the revenue as the US but take the enthusiasm of NCAA, Superbowl, NBA, NHL and Michigan football and that is the love of soccer in most of the rest of the world.     

It's a different style soccer game in South American than Europe and even though Costa Rica is small in numbers, they usually sport a much better team.    Costa Rica played well the first 20 minutes of each half.

6 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Your logic is lacking.   If that was the case, China would win every event they entered.   Soccer to most countries is bigger than most of the US sports combined.   Sure they might not have the revenue as the US but take the enthusiasm of NCAA, Superbowl, NBA, NHL and Michigan football and that is the love of soccer in most of the rest of the world.     

It's a different style soccer game in South American than Europe and even though Costa Rica is small in numbers, they usually sport a much better team.    Costa Rica played well the first 20 minutes of each half.

I wouldn't go as far as saying Costa Rica is a much better team than the United States: the all-time record between the two is dead even (14-14-6). Costa Rica did advance one round beyond us at the World Cup two years ago, though.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Yes, but have we not heard for years and years how soccer is "taking off" in the U.S.? Why, it had become "popular"! We have 300 million people here! If we were truly soccer enthusiasts, Costa Rica wouldn't stand a chance!

And why is it that the American women have such a better record than the men in international, and World Cup, play!

7 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Yes, but have we not heard for years and years how soccer is "taking off" in the U.S.? Why, it had become "popular"! We have 300 million people here! If we were truly soccer enthusiasts, Costa Rica wouldn't stand a chance!

And why is it that the American women have such a better record than the men in international, and World Cup, play!

Because it is a big sport for women and not as big for US men. I like soccer, but it is at least 5th in terms of viewership in the US behind the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. 

The US women are fun to watch, play aggressive and are the best in the world. The US men play timid in the world cup and Olympics.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quarterfinals! Whoop whoop!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

And now, Brazil is out, by account of a Peruvian hand ball!

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I know it's a different tournament, but I also got to watch England/Russia the other day and Germany/Ukraine today. Both great games.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

It's nice to see more soccer on TV.    Heard they may sanction both England and Russia if the fan violence continues.    Sad...

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

It's nice to see more soccer on TV.    Heard they may sanction both England and Russia if the fan violence continues.    Sad...

The police chief in Marseilles is blaming 150 "well trained" Russian hooligans for the melee.  

I know that hooligans in European football have a well-earned reputation for A Clockwork Orange style "ultra-violence," but every time I hear or read the word "hooligan" I think of the late, great Bill Hicks. 

If you are offended by a little profanity, please don't click the link.

Hooligans!

As for the growth of soccer, it will continue.  MLS has provided a stable, well-managed professional league that has steadily gained status in regard to other leagues around the world.  Having the USMNT going deep into tournaments like Copa America will help to continue this trend. 

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:42 AM, Buckeyebowman said:

Yes, but have we not heard for years and years how soccer is "taking off" in the U.S.? Why, it had become "popular"!

As the Men in Blazers used to say, it's "America's sport of the future since 1972."

In my bag:

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Deservedly so. Cant have that type of hooliganism in 2016. 

12 hours ago, jamo said:

As the Men in Blazers used to say, it's "America's sport of the future since 1972."

LOL! That was kind of my point in my previous post. Why hasn't MEN'S soccer taken off here. What draws more viewers? The NBA or the WNBA? The Super Bowl or the Lingerie Bowl? Men's soccer should garner most of the attention, but yet it doesn't!

43 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

LOL! That was kind of my point in my previous post. Why hasn't MEN'S soccer taken off here. What draws more viewers? The NBA or the WNBA? The Super Bowl or the Lingerie Bowl? Men's soccer should garner most of the attention, but yet it doesn't!

Soccer isn't limited to just the men's or women's national teams.  MLS is televised on ESPN every weekend and games average over 21,000 in attendance.  The women's professional league has no major network coverage and averages about 5,000 in attendance.  In fact, the highest attendance at a women's game this season was still below the men's average.

The USMNT has never gotten to a World Cup final.  The USWNT has won three World Cups.  However, the competition in the men's World Cup is off the charts compared to the women's.  During the last women's World Cup there were a couple of double digit scorelines, as well as several in the 5 or 6 to 0 games.  The Ivory Coast had a -20 goal differential if I remember correctly.  That's over the course of three games.

Yes, the USWNT is more successful than the USMNT, but do not assume that success creates a ton of buzz around the women's professional game.

Realistically, for soccer to become a great success in the United States, it will have to come at the expense of one of our more established sports. Perhaps football will provide that victim if American parents decide it is to dangerous for their sons to play. 

In the high schools I've had some experience with, the soccer teams are generally decent athletes that are too small to play football or basketball. Even if the top-level athlete particularly likes soccer, the path way toward being a professional is a lot harder to find. There is also a lot of pressure on the better athletes to play the more popular sports. A lot of schools in Ohio, you'll get stick if you are over 200-pounds, in decent shape and not playing football. Take those NFL receivers and running backs or that NBA point guard and put them on the pitch. A lot of stuff would be different.

Don't get me wrong. I love football and would hate to see it happen. I probably wouldn't mind seeing soccer nip a few basketball players though.

14 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Even if the top-level athlete particularly likes soccer, the path way toward being a professional is a lot harder to find.

The success of MLS and their academies should begin to make this path a lot easier.  Christian Pulisic is a prime example of the increase in skill in American soccer.  Kid's 17 years old and he plays for Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga and he's not a German born son of an American serviceman; he grew up in Hershey, PA.

Note: This thread is 2857 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!