IGNORED

2016 British Open at Royal Troon Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 2847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hope the weather is miserable cold and windy. The Open under these conditions is far more fun than the recent trend of warm and calm weather. Dry and windy would be even better.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, MSchott said:

Dry and windy would be even better.

Would love to see this -- for no other reason than to see the R&A adjust the course conditions to make it playable without being problematic (i.e., balls moving on the greens) -- showing the world that the tournament is about the PLAYERS, not the host organization (and thus further embarrassing the USGA)

Edited by BallStriker

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

GMac drive on 1 practice round.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

10 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

GMac drive on 1 practice round.

He posted his tee shot on the postage stamp hole on twitter....125 yards...6 iron....LOL

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

34 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

He posted his tee shot on the postage stamp hole on twitter....125 yards...6 iron....LOL

I've done that before...except it was WITH the wind...lol

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

38 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

Here it is. 

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Here it is. 

Dang that's the most green I've ever seen Royal Troon. It was really brown in '82 and '89 and pretty brown in '97 and '04. Guess that has to do with all the rain they've had this summer.

Still 10 days out but the weather doesn't look like it's gonna change at all over the course of the next two weeks. Cool and breezy weather with a mix of sun and rain. Unusual for Troon as they've had a run of warm Opens. 

Edited by ChrisP

Crazy Brits, says Els. 

Steve

So very excited for this championship - probably more than any other as I'm heading up to Ayrshire the week after to play Turnberry and Western Gailes, so I'll really be in the mood. With the times it's on over here, it's definitely my favourite major and the recent Scottish Open has only made me more excited for it. So hard to call a winner, particularly if the wind gets up (looks like gusts of about 30kph over the weekend), but as ever, I would love to see a first timer - Sergio, Lee or Henrik would fit well!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 2 July 2016 at 3:00 PM, MSchott said:

Hope the weather is miserable cold and windy. The Open under these conditions is far more fun than the recent trend of warm and calm weather. Dry and windy would be even better.

Oi! Some of us have tickets! In all seriousness my only past experience of watching the Open live is Muirfield a few years back, and the weather was glorious so I guess I can't complain too much if it's nasty this week.

• Upvote 1

So far, weather forecast doesn't look all that bad. Maybe a couple breezy days, but they're not expecting any gale force winds there like they got in Scotland last Thursday. That should help the big guns play well.

• Upvote 1

Have to say, Sky are going all out to impress with their coverage. Really liking the interviews, swing thoughts and insights they're getting from different players on the range. For those who haven't got access, they've just had Claude Harmon take Finau and Lowry into their Protracer range booth with driver and 6 iron respectively talking them through how they'd hit low, high, fade, draw etc and then going ahead and doing it. Loads of crowd participation as well and generally just really cool. Miles better than the BBC coverage and whilst I get the frustration for many that it's no longer free-to-air coverage, it's light years ahead of the BBC stuff that hadn't changed in 20 years and it's clear which organisation actually values the sport.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

1 hour ago, b101 said:

Have to say, Sky are going all out to impress with their coverage. Really liking the interviews, swing thoughts and insights they're getting from different players on the range. For those who haven't got access, they've just had Claude Harmon take Finau and Lowry into their Protracer range booth with driver and 6 iron respectively talking them through how they'd hit low, high, fade, draw etc and then going ahead and doing it. Loads of crowd participation as well and generally just really cool. Miles better than the BBC coverage and whilst I get the frustration for many that it's no longer free-to-air coverage, it's light years ahead of the BBC stuff that hadn't changed in 20 years and it's clear which organisation actually values the sport.

I'm loving the in depth coverage too. But, like the Ashes, Wimbledon, the FA Cup, I think this competition is just too important not to be on free to air TV. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ChrisP said:

So far, weather forecast doesn't look all that bad. Maybe a couple breezy days, but they're not expecting any gale force winds there like they got in Scotland last Thursday. That should help the big guns play well.

Forecast here.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/british-open-2016-rainy-spells-gusty-winds-challenge-golfers-royal-troon-gold-club-scotland/58725345

10 hours ago, Hazsa said:

Oi! Some of us have tickets! In all seriousness my only past experience of watching the Open live is Muirfield a few years back, and the weather was glorious so I guess I can't complain too much if it's nasty this week.

Take brolly and wellies.

Note: This thread is 2847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!