IGNORED

2016 PGA Championship at the Baltusrol Golf Club Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

So they're not re-pairing tomorrow, which I don't like. They're gonna keep the same pairings for round 3 and 4. Kinda takes out the pressure factor a little.

In the tradition of "without re-pairing, fingers crossed the winner doesn't finish his round two hours before the final group," let's hope Kevin Kisner doesn't shoot a 64.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

14 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

In the tradition of "without re-pairing, fingers crossed the winner doesn't finish his round two hours before the final group," let's hope Kevin Kisner doesn't shoot a 64.

The funny thing is Kisner could shoot a 64 in his final round while most of the leaders are still playing their third round. That's why I just don't like the way they're doing it. It's really quirky and not the way a major should finish. The weather looks pretty bad tomorrow....there's gonna be a delay. At this point I would just say let's get as much as we can tomorrow, do a quick re-pair after round 3 and play round 4 into Monday if need be.

Btw, ESPN wrote an article basically saying the PGA dropped the ball by not moving the tee times up into the morning. But like I said earlier, it's all about live scheduled TV. They've been in these positions before and they never change the tee times. But given the forecast it would have been nice to see them say "screw live tv" and focus more on getting the golf in. Especially since it's a third round and not a fourth round. TNT could have gone on the air and showed it live in the morning and then CBS re-air it in the afternoon.

Edited by ChrisP

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

The funny thing is Kisner could shoot a 64 in his final round while most of the leaders are still playing their third round. That's why I just don't like the way they're doing it. It's really quirky and not the way a major should finish. The weather looks pretty bad tomorrow....there's gonna be a delay. At this point I would just say let's get as much as we can tomorrow, do a quick re-pair after round 3 and play round 4 into Monday if need be.

Btw, ESPN wrote an article basically saying the PGA dropped the ball by not moving the tee times up into the morning. But like I said earlier, it's all about live scheduled TV. They've been in these positions before and they never change the tee times.

They need to re-pair or the final day could be worthless for live television.  

I don't understand the issue with earlier tee times, TNT didn't start coverage today until 11, CBS took over at 2, they could have opted to show the recorded rounds this afternoon versus showing us last years.  I know delayed broadcasts aren't as fun to watch if you know the results but it's still better than watching last years again.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

They need to re-pair or the final day could be worthless for live television.  

I don't understand the issue with earlier tee times, TNT didn't start coverage today until 11, CBS took over at 2, they could have opted to show the recorded rounds this afternoon versus showing us last years.  I know delayed broadcasts aren't as fun to watch if you know the results but it's still better than watching last years again.  

Sadly they're not re-pairing. They've already got it set up for Kisner to tee off his final round tomorrow at 8:40 am. The PGA dropped the ball on this one, IMO. It's unfortunate, but can't do anything about it.

This major hasn't had the right feel to it from the beginning. It's weird having them play this thing in July, it's just two weeks after The Open, some of the players just look drained (like DJ), and now the weather has really made this thing unusual with a possible Tuesday finish. Just an odd feel to it this week.

Edited by ChrisP
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Sadly they're not re-pairing. They've already got it set up for Kisner to tee off his final round tomorrow at 8:40 am. The PGA dropped the ball on this one, IMO. It's unfortunate, but can't do anything about it.

This major hasn't had the right feel to it from the beginning. It's weird having them play this thing in July, it's just two weeks after The Open, some of the players just look drained (like DJ), and now the weather has really made this thing unusual with a possible Tuesday finish. Just an odd feel to it this week.

Based on what I read, golfers that completed round 3 on Saturday will start to tee off at 8:40, I don't see where they have Kisner listed specifically for an 8:40 tee time. Looks like they are calling for thunderstorms all night until 10am Sunday so I doubt this schedule will be used anyway.   

Joe Paradiso

12 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Based on what I read, golfers that completed round 3 on Saturday will start to tee off at 8:40, I don't see where they have Kisner listed specifically for an 8:40 tee time. Looks like they are calling for thunderstorms all night until 10am Sunday so I doubt this schedule will be used anyway.   

My bad. He doesn't tee off until around 10:30 now, I heard. Still going to be playing round 4 just a couple hours difference of the final group for round 3. Very strange.

Btw, it will be interesting to see if a 62 goes down now. This course is there for the taking and it's only a par 70. Definitely there for the taking.

Edited by ChrisP

6 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

My bad. He doesn't tee off until around 10:30 now, I heard. Still going to be playing round 4 just a couple hours difference of the final group for round 3. Very strange.

Btw, it will be interesting to see if a 62 goes down now. This course is there for the taking and it's only a par 70. Definitely there for the taking.

Anyone playing the round 3 pins has a shot at 62, I'm guessing / hoping they will move the pins for the 4th round to tougher locations to make up for the wet greens.  

Joe Paradiso

6 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

This could actually be great for Kisner or other players who haven't won majors or even had much experience winning on Tour.  Post a low score early to avoid any "omg, I'm leading a major on Sunday" jitters and then sit back and wait.

Then again, this could be all be for naught if the rain ruins things today as well.

Poor showing by the PGA - currently the only live broadcast is Kaymer/Henrik and the leaderboard on their site shows everyone at E for the day (I think they are struggling with how to show 3rd and 4th round active scoring on the leaderboard.

would -rep the PGA if I could

Players play, tough players win!

11 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Btw, ESPN wrote an article basically saying the PGA dropped the ball by not moving the tee times up into the morning. But like I said earlier, it's all about live scheduled TV. They've been in these positions before and they never change the tee times. But given the forecast it would have been nice to see them say "screw live tv" and focus more on getting the golf in. Especially since it's a third round and not a fourth round. TNT could have gone on the air and showed it live in the morning and then CBS re-air it in the afternoon.

Ugh this entire tournament has the perfect setup for a Robert Streb win. PGA sure as better hope Day wins this.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Just heard they will play the ball up in the 4th round - but not in the completion of the 3rd round.

While I understand wanting to keep playing conditions consistent, if the course conditions are dictating playing it up then how do you justify people on the course playing it up and down at the same time (those playing the 4th allowed to lift/clean/place and those playing the 3rd playing it as it lies)

Players play, tough players win!

I feel bad for the PGA.

BTW, do some of these greens look totally scorched?

8 minutes ago, atb5079 said:

Ugh this entire tournament has the perfect setup for a Robert Streb win. PGA sure as better hope Day wins this.

As long as Patrick Reed doesn't win.

3 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

As long as Patrick Reed doesn't win.

Lol truth.

Is this gonna turn into Lucas Glover Bethpage 09 win?

Note: This thread is 2794 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!