IGNORED

2016 PGA Championship at the Baltusrol Golf Club Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Open Championship feels like it ended yesterday. Next week, the PGA Championship, major number 4 will be played because, the Olympics. Since it's so soon, CBS's, or is it Nantz's catchphrase, glory's last shot doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it? Does this favor Stenson and Mickelson or are they too tired? Will we hear from the big three? Will another non major winner emerge? Will Nantz make us eye-roll ourselves to death as he opines saccharine about who knows what and name drops his best buds? Is the season basically over... in July? All I know is, this is the major with the most commercials, get that DVR warmed up.

Here's the field

Here's the course

TV: CBS not fearful, but rather relishes quick turnaround between British Open and PGA Championship

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are signs all over for parking in the area now.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

13 minutes ago, billchao said:

There are signs all over for parking in the area now.

Photos, OR IT'S NOT TRUE :-D

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just now, nevets88 said:

Photos, OR IT'S NOT TRUE :-D

Sure. Next time I drive by one, I'll grab my phone and snap a picture. :doh:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

This is always fun for me to watch.  I like that they all know going in that the winner will be going low. Id love to see a DJ and Day showdown on Sunday. It would be cool to watch them both smashing drives and hitting wedges into the greens. 

Two Par 5s to finish is always interesting. One three shotter, one reachable. I don't know what the temps are supposed to be, but it's going to be blazing hot here in Pittsburgh the next week. I'll be in Myrtle Beach during the event (where it will also be blazing hot). We can usually count on the PGA not to let any greens get out of control, but they may have to cut the rough a bit.

• Upvote 1

"Witty golf quote."

10 hours ago, bogdan101 said:

Shouldn't this be the U.S. PGA Championship?   :-P

PGA is an organization. So it is the organization championship. They just happen to play most of their tournaments in the US. If there was another PGA, say in Thailand, then it may need the country designation.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

PGA is an organization. So it is the organization championship. They just happen to play most of their tournaments in the US. If there was another PGA, say in Thailand, then it may need the country designation.

I was joking, but the PGA of America is the organizer. UK, Australia and Canada have their own PGA's, and then there's the BMW PGA Championship on the Euro Tour.

Tee times and groupings:

• To start, the annual ‘This year’s major champions group’ at the PGA: Danny Willett, Dustin Johnson and Henrik Stenson
  • Jordan Spieth is paired with Bubba Watson and Sergio Garcia
  • World No. 1 Jason Day, Rory McIlroy and Phil Mickelson make up the power (and past PGA champions – 2015, 2012 & 2014, 2005, respectively) group
  • A colorful past PGA champions threesome: John Daly (1991), Padraig Harrington (2008) and Vijay Singh (1998, 2004)
  • And another one: Jason Dufner (2013), Martin Kaymer (2010) and Y.E. Yang (2009)
  • Rickie Fowler finds himself with Ernie Els and Zach Johnson, but this group despite six major titles has zero combined PGA wins

http://golfweek.com/2016/07/22/pga-championship-tee-times-pairings-baltusrol/

Steve

Steve Stricker is grouped with David Toms and Rich Beem. How many fans can correctly identify who isn't the past champion in that threesome?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Definitely on the Sergio train this week. Good course for him, he's been playing well and the trend has been for the best players without a major to get theirs. And the PGA is the major noted for good players getting their feet wet. At 33-1, not a bad investment. Throwing a little on DJ as well.

Edited by ChrisP

I'm pretty much over this Summer's major schedule and am having a hard time caring about this one. Three majors over the course of 6 weeks seriously diminishes the impact for me.

I always thought of this major (?) as just another WGC event. Even worse, if they could, the players would add a 5th one just like it. Nope, not much of major contest to me. 

I have $10 on Sergio to win at a local sports book at 28-1. Hopefully he can pull it off. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!