IGNORED

2016 Olympic Golf Tournament (Men's and Women's) Discussion Thread

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got an email from Golf World today about "Why the Olympics exceeded expectations."

Last I checked, the golf is only half done. The women tee it up this week.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I got an email from Golf World today about "Why the Olympics exceeded expectations."

Last I checked, the golf is only half done. The women tee it up this week.

Whoops.

Kevin

Gary Player is social media bombing my Olympic golf social media feeds:

LPGA players talk about the golf in the Olympics.

Top 7 get a diploma

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On August 10, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Aguirre said:

We see it at the team cups.

I still think an opportunity was missed here for a team competition. No reason why both an individual and team competition couldn't have happened.

This is what the IOC has to do to make this a real Olympic event between countries and not just a PGA semi-major tournament by individuals that just happen to have an affiliation to a country.

Not any different than gymnastics where you have individual winners and a team gold, silver, and bronze.  It may be the lowest combined scores of the top 2 (probably) or 3 golfers from each country...

Kuchar/Watson -20 (gold)

Rose/Willet -16 (silver)

Garcia/Cabrera Bello -15 (bronze)

This would really make it interesting to see players out of the running for the individual medal charging to win a team gold.

John

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 70sSanO said:

This is what the IOC has to do to make this a real Olympic event between countries and not just a PGA semi-major tournament by individuals that just happen to have an affiliation to a country.

Not any different than gymnastics where you have individual winners and a team gold, silver, and bronze.  It may be the lowest combined scores of the top 2 (probably) or 3 golfers from each country...

Kuchar/Watson -20 (gold)

Rose/Willet -16 (silver)

Garcia/Cabrera Bello -15 (bronze)

This would really make it interesting to see players out of the running for the individual medal charging to win a team gold.

John

I agree!  As great as it was . .and it was great . .the format needs some tweaking vs a regular, stroke play event. 

Personally . .what I'd like to see is an amateur event  - to rival and/or surpass the US Amateur as THE tournament to win for up-and-comers. 

If we're going to have pros . .and I can see that for viewership reasons . . .a team format of some kind would be great. 

Edited by Rainmaker

I feel golf at the Olympics has exceeded most people's expectations (Joe Posnanski wrote a great article on this on the Golf Channel describing some of the unique and special moments). What was missing, however, was a special Olympic format, which stressed - as horse riding, swimming and running all do, albeit in different ways - both the team and the individual achievement. The fact that Justin Rose's gold medal was part of Great Britain's superb medals total shows what "playing for your country" really means! Nowhere does the team aspect of golf come over better than in the Ryder and Solheim cups. I know it's difficult to find a way to accomodate both team and individual performance, when each round last over four hours, and not a few seconds or minutes, and you have many nations/teams competing against each other, and not just two, but a unique format would enhance the thrill and attraction of golf as part of the Olympic games.

6 hours ago, graham57 said:

I feel golf at the Olympics has exceeded most people's expectations (Joe Posnanski wrote a great article on this on the Golf Channel describing some of the unique and special moments). What was missing, however, was a special Olympic format, which stressed - as horse riding, swimming and running all do, albeit in different ways - both the team and the individual achievement. The fact that Justin Rose's gold medal was part of Great Britain's superb medals total shows what "playing for your country" really means! Nowhere does the team aspect of golf come over better than in the Ryder and Solheim cups. I know it's difficult to find a way to accomodate both team and individual performance, when each round last over four hours, and not a few seconds or minutes, and you have many nations/teams competing against each other, and not just two, but a unique format would enhance the thrill and attraction of golf as part of the Olympic games.

I agree, the team aspect was missing and while we knew which country each golfer represented it wasn't any different than a regular golf tournament where the golfers are associated with their home country.  

Maybe they could do something like each country sends 2 - 4 golfers to represent their country.  The first two days are team stroke play where the top 3 teams with the lowest cumulative score win the country medal and then the final two days are individual stroke play for individual medals.  

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

(edited)
5 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I agree, the team aspect was missing and while we knew which country each golfer represented it wasn't any different than a regular golf tournament where the golfers are associated with their home country.  

Maybe they could do something like each country sends 2 - 4 golfers to represent their country.  The first two days are team stroke play where the top 3 teams with the lowest cumulative score win the country medal and then the final two days are individual stroke play for individual medals.  

I like the idea of including an aspect of team competition

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I posted part of this elsewhere on the forum, I will shorten.

I was disappointed in Olympic golf. Aside from the awarding of the medals and the enthusiasm it was no different than watching 4 days of the John Deere classic or some other non major tournament.

I wish they had done 2 days tournament and then saved the last 2 days for some team play.

Heck I would have watched wedge shootout competition, accuracy competition, long drive, scramble, stable ford, 2 ball or alternating shot.
I would have even watched a putting competition!
But 4 days of Olympic golf just didn't do it for me.

I would have preferred Ninja Golf over 4 days of what we had!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

It's the ladies turn now ... http://www.golfdigest.com/story/7-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-olympic-womens-golf-tournament?mbid=social_facebook

9 of the top 10 in Rolex rangings will be there (and the only reason its not 10/10 is because one of them would have been the fifth Korean) and they're playing the same course as the men, except 900 yards shorter.

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

It's the ladies turn now ... http://www.golfdigest.com/story/7-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-olympic-womens-golf-tournament?mbid=social_facebook

9 of the top 10 in Rolex rangings will be there (and the only reason its not 10/10 is because one of them would have been the fifth Korean) and they're playing the same course as the men, except 900 yards shorter.

I'm really looking forward to watching this one.  I typically follow along with the LPGA but don't really watch much - not even the majors.  To me . .for the ladies . .this is bigger than a major.  All the best players are there and you can already start to feel the energy building (on tv, of course . .I'm not in Rio) about playing in front of a much bigger audience than usual.  I will certainly be watching this over the Wyndham . .that's for sure. 

• Upvote 1

Justin Rose, tweeting his gold medal hanging from his rear view mirror -  cover up that GPS!

Steve

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Yeah that was what I was thinking.Two day team.Two day individual.The only thing I would change was the number of players you can have.Not really fair for some to have 4, others 2.

4 hours ago, Aflighter said:

Yeah that was what I was thinking.Two day team.Two day individual.The only thing I would change was the number of players you can have.Not really fair for some to have 4, others 2.

I suggested 2-4 to be the constant for all teams.  I know some countries might have difficulty finding 4 top players.  Maybe make it so each country can enter 4 into the individual medal competition but only 2 for country medals.  

Joe Paradiso

4 hours ago, Aflighter said:

8 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I suggested 2-4 to be the constant for all teams.  I know some countries might have difficulty finding 4 top players.  Maybe make it so each country can enter 4 into the individual medal competition but only 2 for country medals.  

Why not just make it all teams of two?  Countries that happen to have enough players to qualify can field two separate teams - like in beach volleyball or tennis, or several other sports with small teams.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Elmer said:

I posted part of this elsewhere on the forum, I will shorten.

I was disappointed in Olympic golf. Aside from the awarding of the medals and the enthusiasm it was no different than watching 4 days of the John Deere classic or some other non major tournament.

I wish they had done 2 days tournament and then saved the last 2 days for some team play.

Heck I would have watched wedge shootout competition, accuracy competition, long drive, scramble, stable ford, 2 ball or alternating shot.
I would have even watched a putting competition!
But 4 days of Olympic golf just didn't do it for me.

I would have preferred Ninja Golf over 4 days of what we had!

Way to Dumb it up. You should stick to Atari.

Tuned in to see what's going on with the women.  The leaders are at -5 (Ariya Jutanugarn and Inbee Park).

Tom Abbott says "But Lydia Ko is giving chase!"  She's at -2. :doh:

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 2804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!