IGNORED

What's your 78 yard club?

sirhacksalot
Note: This thread is 2781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 29/08/2016 at 5:17 AM, No Mulligans said:

9i to SW... Two different types of swings from my PW.

I see you have LSW.  From the idea in the book (and posts on this forum) I came up with this which I have taped on my push cart and have made a card also for my pocket when I don't have my push cart.

Distances.JPG

I understand it is subjective but how do you measure 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 on an Erik pitch and a full swing?

Edited by alleztom
Typo wrote 1/2 instead of 1/4

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A very easy way to chip around the greens is to use the rule of 12. and allow for the up or down of the green.  On a level playing field a SW will roll as far as it is chipped. i.e., chip 3' roll 3 ' , PW will roll 2 times it chipped distance, 9i 3times, 8i 4times, 7i 5times etc, etc,

This really works well and takes a lot of stress out of the shot  Find the edge of the green and measure 

how far to the hole from that spot. measure from edge of green to ball and do the math.

4 hours ago, alleztom said:

I understand it is subjective but how do you measure 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 on an Erik pitch and a full swing?

For me personally fractional full swings would be measured by left arm like a clock face , my full is just past 9 so a 3/4 would be in between 7 and 8.

Erik pitches I would basically the same but it would be the shaft as the clock hand since my hands stayed pretty much in the same place

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, sirhacksalot said:

For me personally fractional full swings would be measured by left arm like a clock face , my full is just past 9 so a 3/4 would be in between 7 and 8.

Erik pitches I would basically the same but it would be the shaft as the clock hand since my hands stayed pretty much in the same place

Thanks, cheers.

Edited by alleztom

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

I have to baby a 56 and hope for the best. I hate 80 yards because it's too long for a comfortable 60 degree, and too short for a 56. Maybe I need to add a 58 lol

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Basically a nice 60* will be somewhere around 80-85 yards. If I catch a flier it'll go more like 90ish and if I catch it a bit heavy it's in the 70's. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Depends if I want to try and hit it high and land it close with no roll or if I want to hit it low and let it roll up to the pin. 58 degree for a high shot that stops instantly and maybe an 8-9 if I want to  play low spin and let it roll up the green.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

8 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Basically a nice 60* will be somewhere around 80-85 yards. If I catch a flier it'll go more like 90ish and if I catch it a bit heavy it's in the 70's. 

My 60* used to be somewhere around 80 yards for a full swing. Somewhere along the line that changed, and my 60 started going almost exactly 65 yards. Which is weird, because every other club I have went up in distance lol.

Ryan M

I hit my 54 degree SW, which I hit 118 or so on a full swing.  

But, to combat the risk of decelerating, I open my body up a bit and open the face and put the ball forward in in my stance, essentially increasing the loft of the club.   Take the club about 3/4 of the way back or so, and full speed down swing.  

I know this sounds complicated, but it really isn't.   basically what I just described is a the exact swing I use for a long bunker shot from a greenside bunker.  

spend enough time in the practice bunker working on 20 yd bunker shots and you can carry that swing right out to 75 yd fairway shots.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 8/26/2016 at 11:57 PM, sirhacksalot said:

For me this is a unsure hard 60 degree which hasnt been working, or a controlled sand iron, which usually is a 100 yrd club.  The course I play usually is very fluffy around the greens so if any short iron lands short it usually stops where it hits.  I feel driving has been great lately, the regular Sunday group I play with everyone plays from the whites which has quite a few short par 4s with a good drive im leaving myself quite a few of these 60-85 yard feely shots that haven't been converting pars as easy as they probably should be.

Easy, an 8 iron. Pitch and run every time. If it is very wet, a soft PW. Don't use a SW unless I am stuck in a bunker by the side of the green

Edited by paininthenuts

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

If the ball above my feet  I rather try to have a control punch with a GW or PW . There be run out so ideally the pin is at the back . If I have a front pin with this lie then I will use the GW rather than PW

If the ball is below the feet I would rather "hold off" club closure with a intermesh grip and play more spiny shot with PW maybe a 9iron

(edited)

This hole only plays 288/300 from the white or the blues.  Rough all the way around the green, its hard to hold the green if you hit and if your short the ball does not usually bound up to.  That being said if you can stay middle of the green its a real easy to birdie or par.  The green itself slopes toward the top left  from about the middle but middle down is pretty flat. So being a perfect sand wedge is good for me here, but a good driver / 3 wood. gives a risk reward of having a nice feely soft pitch.  from just before the creek.  However just a decent 3 wood or so so drive right gives you the yardages that we have been talking about.  There are several holes like this on this course.  Good golfers score really well here because if you distances are consistent there really isn't much to deal with.  But us guys that struggle keeping / knowing our gaps long / short can really blow it up.

hole 15.JPG

http://www.sterlinglinksgolf.com/slg_holes/hole15.htm

Edited by sirhacksalot
two pictures

6 minutes ago, sirhacksalot said:

This hole only plays 288/300 from the white or the blues.  Rough all the way around the green, its hard to hold the green if you hit and if your short the ball does not usually bound up to.  That being said if you can stay middle of the green its a real easy to birdie or par.  The green itself slopes toward the top left  from about the middle but middle down is pretty flat. So being a perfect sand wedge is good for me here, but a good driver / 3 wood. gives a risk reward of having a nice feely soft pitch.  from just before the creek.  However just a decent 3 wood or so so drive right gives you the yardages that we have been talking about.  There are several holes like this on this course.  Good golfers score really well here because if you distances are consistent there really isn't much to deal with.  But us guys that struggle keeping / knowing our gaps long / short can really blow it up.

hole 15.JPG

hole 15.JPG

What course and hole is this? I'm guessing what I'm looking at is a forced carry of about 250-260 to carry that creek? Given the water down the left and trees on the right I'd probably hit 4 iron and that would leave me with approximately the yardage you listed. Depending on whether the wind would help/hurt.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

1 minute ago, Jeremie Boop said:

What course and hole is this? I'm guessing what I'm looking at is a forced carry of about 250-260 to carry that creek? Given the water down the left and trees on the right I'd probably hit 4 iron and that would leave me with approximately the yardage you listed. Depending on whether the wind would help/hurt.

http://www.sterlinglinksgolf.com/slg_holes/hole15.htm

1 minute ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Yes I don't have the swing to carry the creek and the best drive of my life would land in it. 

15 minutes ago, sirhacksalot said:

Yeah, using google earth to measure things up from the whites it would be a 4 iron from the tee and something like a sand wedge if I hit it badly to a partial 60* if I hit it well.

Side note, holy crap that's a lot of water and trees!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Depends on a variety of factors. wind? pin location? In my mind this is a very open question as I could use 3, possibly more clubs for this distance. 

If we are talking about ideal conditions, middle of the green and no obstacles in the way it would probably be a 3/4 52 degree, fire it in lower and have a bit of check on it. I hate hitting full wedge shots.

17 hours ago, MizunoPez said:

Depends on a variety of factors. wind? pin location? In my mind this is a very open question as I could use 3, possibly more clubs for this distance. 

If we are talking about ideal conditions, middle of the green and no obstacles in the way it would probably be a 3/4 52 degree, fire it in lower and have a bit of check on it. I hate hitting full wedge shots.

This is one of many differences between a 3 and 20 handicap. 

I have one, and one shot only for any specific distance that I can get to work with relative consistency lol

Ryan M

Note: This thread is 2781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!