IGNORED

Club distance question

Slowcelica
Note: This thread is 2795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently read a blog post, I can't remember where, but the gist of it was when choosing a club for your approach shot, you should choose it based on your carry distance, not distance with roll out. I have been choosing clubs based on my total distance not just carry, unless there is something I have to carry like a bunker or water. What do most of you do, and which is the recommended approach?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Slowcelica said:

I recently read a blog post, I can't remember where, but the gist of it was when choosing a club for your approach shot, you should choose it based on your carry distance, not distance with roll out. I have been choosing clubs based on my total distance not just carry, unless there is something I have to carry like a bunker or water. What do most of you do, and which is the recommended approach?

It depends on your shot shape. If you routinely hit lower ball flights, and you play courses that are firm, then playing for the roll out is important. It also means you need to consider more when you do your shot. Where your ball lands, how you think it will roll out, what hazards/bunkers are in the way, ect.. 

For me, I play the carry yardage 99% of the time. 

• Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

With approach shots - carry distance only.   Ideally, there would be no roll-out.   For me, though, there is . .but it's too hard to predict.  If I hit it great, it won't roll out.  If I mishit it, it will - but who knows how much?  Can't plan for it.  Instead, I ask myself . .would it be better to be long or short?  And then choose accordingly. 

• Upvote 2

Turf conditions will influence this:

If the turf is just plain hard and baked out, I allow for roll out on approaches. // Normal turf, solid shots will bite with a couple yards rollout, while fat or thin shots may release more. // Damp turf, and ball bites better or spins back. Exception: partial wedges out of wet rough may run a little.

And, there is shot shape...

8 hours ago, saevel25 said:

It depends on your shot shape. If you routinely hit lower ball flights, and you play courses that are firm, then playing for the roll out is important.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

If my approach hits the green from the fairway, the ball doesn't generally release more than 3 yards.  In the perfect world, I'd always land the ball 0-3 yards short of the pin.  However, I am not a perfect ball-striker, and my home course generally has way more trouble long than it does short, so I tend to hit lots of balls short and hope they roll onto the green.

John

23 hours ago, saevel25 said:

It depends on your shot shape. If you routinely hit lower ball flights, and you play courses that are firm, then playing for the roll out is important. It also means you need to consider more when you do your shot. Where your ball lands, how you think it will roll out, what hazards/bunkers are in the way, ect.. 

For me, I play the carry yardage 99% of the time. 

X2

Like others I would play the carry not roll as roll is not always consistent.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

From 150 yards to about 50 yards my carry is my roll out (well +/- a yard or so.). Unless I land on a rock, sprinkler head, or some of those hot summer concrete greens, I normally find my ball with in a few feet of my ball mark.  I only worry about run out from pitches, chips, or going for greens from 170 yards or more.

On my NC greens (I think they're mostly bentgrass, I always forget) my shots hit and roll about a normal maximum of 1 yard. Usually I'm about 6 inches from my ball mark. I have a pretty high apex so mine land steep. So obviously, I go for carry. 

I'm probably screwed if I ever play on a baked out rolling course because most of my shots have very little roll unless I hit a poor shot. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

If your ball is rolling a lot on anything but very firm conditions you probably don't have a distance you can rely on, carry or roll. I'd get on a launch monitor get your numbers and plan for a miss based on the lesser half of your average based on course conditions. After using Game Golf for 2 season I learned a long miss was somewhat rare.

Dave :-)

I just go with the carry distance yardage. Too many other factors can mess with the roll out number. Of course,  if it is an up hill shot, I go with a longer carry club. Down hill, a shorter carry club. Same with fast, or slow fairways. 

For those who can, I strongly suggest going some where to hit balls that allows you use gps/lazer devices to get your actual "average" carry yardages with your clubs. I also recommend you count, and record your steps to the balls.

I am fortunate enough to have a dry lake bed near me, where there's a landing area of soft, blow sand. The ball hits the soft sand and just stops. (plugs?) When I go to collect the balls, I just shoot the lazer distance back to my hitting spot.  

The reason I count my steps, per club, is it sometimes helps finding a lost ball, by getting to the general area quicker, and knowing where to look. Helps with quick yardages around the green too. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

As a lower trajectory hitter, on most days I allow for 2-5 yards of rollout when selecting a club, and then take an extra club on top of it.  I also do not use a urethane ball so I am bound to get some extra roll on the green, but I do get some needed roll on my drives. 

Note: This thread is 2795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!