IGNORED

Should I change shafts if I am still slicing

Note: This thread is 2786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Guys,

I have recently purchased a TaylorMade R1 driver, that has Aldila RIP Alpha 6 Graphite Stiff Flex Shaft in it. I have set the driver head to the 12 degree loft and closed the face to the furthest it will go. However, in reality this should fix my slice correct? No, I am still slicing the ball. Sometimes it if more of a 15-20 yard Fade, and then others it is a 40 yard slice or further. I have been thinking about buying a new shaft and going to an Extra Stiff. Or maybe going to a heavier gram shaft. What are y'alls thoughts on this? What would you do? Or does it just have to do with my swing? Whenever I finally get a good solid straight it flies to 300yds. I don't know what to do.

P.S.

I am 5'10" and 185lbs. I don't know my club speed or anything like that. I have played baseball all of my life and played two years of collegiate ball. I am in my third year of college. I am pretty stocky, I benched 325lbs the last time I maxed. And my lower half is pretty solid as well. I don't know if any of this information helps but there you go.

Thanks everyone,

God Bless

Reality check:

• A premium after-market golf shaft can cost $300+.
  • A golf lesson costs $60.

Get a golf lesson with launch monitor before buying new shafts. Make sure it's not operator error, or mis-adjustment of clubhead.

• Upvote 2

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, ThEsLiCeKilLs said:

P.S.

I am 5'10" and 185lbs. I don't know my club speed or anything like that. I have played baseball all of my life and played two years of collegiate ball. I am in my third year of college. I am pretty stocky, I benched 325lbs the last time I maxed. And my lower half is pretty solid as well. I don't know if any of this information helps but there you go.

Thanks everyone,

God Bless

The big clues are here in the P.S.  Baseball and strong.  That translates into out to in, pulling across the ball.  No shaft can fix a bad swing path.  All the swing tips you hear (that are worth anything)  telling you to straighten this or shift weight here in your backswing, or to snap wrist here or push through there in your follow thru, is worthless if you don't come straight thru the ball.    What really matters is the one foot long path, speed, angle, and direction of you swing thru the ball.

To simplify if you are right handed and at impact with the ball your club face is perpendicular to your target but traveling out to in (right to left looking downgrade) the ball is spinning clockwise thus turning right.  This is why you are slicing.  A closed face will start the ball left, but spin will turn it right.

Without lessons to teach you how to fix you swing the best you can do is close your stance, and push thru the ball.  Exaggerate aiming right until the ball starts to turn left.  It is a hard concept to get your head around until you actually do it. 

Bottom line is shafts won't fix slicing.

I'll pile on, the simple answer is:

NO

Learn to swing the club so that you don't slice.  Get some instruction (you can post a video in the My Swing section of this forum and get excellent advice), practice what the instructor tells you, and learn to swing properly.  Then you can tune the club a little better, but equipment can't make up for a faulty swing.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Slicing will happen with any club.  Some clubs maybe a little less.  I concur with everyone else on the right thing to do.  The only time I blame my clubs is on the course.

—Adam

A club or ball does not know who is swinging/hitting it.  Both are only going to perform to the level of the person hitting them.  Yes, a shaft can make a difference, but if you are slicing it very likely has a lot to do with poor mechanics. Manipulating a club (adjustable drivers, etc) is not going to fix bad mechanics or habits in a golf swing.  That is where tons of golfers go wrong both from a frustration and financial point.  

I used to be that guy who blamed my equipment for poor play until I got lessons and learned how bad my swing was.  Years later and countless hours of lessons, range sessions, rounds, etc. I am at a point where each time I make a bad shot I know most of the time why and its not the equipment's fault.  

I vote you read this thread. Post any questions you have there, and then decide if you need a new shaft.

• Upvote 1

Michael

On 8/30/2016 at 2:12 PM, ThEsLiCeKilLs said:

Hey Guys,

I have recently purchased a TaylorMade R1 driver, that has Aldila RIP Alpha 6 Graphite Stiff Flex Shaft in it. I have set the driver head to the 12 degree loft and closed the face to the furthest it will go. However, in reality this should fix my slice correct? No, I am still slicing the ball. Sometimes it if more of a 15-20 yard Fade, and then others it is a 40 yard slice or further. I have been thinking about buying a new shaft and going to an Extra Stiff. Or maybe going to a heavier gram shaft. What are y'alls thoughts on this? What would you do? Or does it just have to do with my swing? Whenever I finally get a good solid straight it flies to 300yds. I don't know what to do.

P.S.

Thanks everyone,

God Bless

I'll bet a 100 dollars its your alignment and or grip. Take a lesson that's a fine club and shaft

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Spitfisher said:

I'll bet a 100 dollars its your alignment and or grip. Take a lesson that's a fine club and shaft

I'd take that bet: it's most likely the fact that he swings left a bunch.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think a stiffer shaft can help your "feels" if you swing hard, especially considering you are used to a heavy baseball bat.

You have to practice properly so that the feels you develop aren't linked to poor mechanics.

TST Instructional Content

6 hours ago, iacas said:

I'd take that bet: it's most likely the fact that he swings left a bunch.

of course he does. As a base ball player and ex one. His shoulders are likely open, he reaches for the ball and weight is off his back foot.

Edited by Spitfisher

24 minutes ago, Spitfisher said:

of course he does. As a base ball player and ex one. His shoulders are likely open, he reaches for the ball and weight is off his back foot.

So are you gonna give him the $100?  I believe you first stated it was grip or alignment???

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

22 hours ago, 14ledo81 said:

So are you gonna give him the $100?  I believe you first stated it was grip or alignment???

He is likely hitting it left because of his alignment and quite possible his grip. The TM r1 set on twelve is already closed 1.5 degrees- so he shouldn't be slicing that or not as much as described. A heavier shaft could slow him down a bit for better contact on the face. But it's been my experience in dealing with multisport athletes now playing golf it's likely alignment at setup, during or finishing the swing - before it becomes a shaft issue. 

Note: This thread is 2786 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!