IGNORED

Is this a good deal?

Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have a connection to a Ping golf pro here in Minnesota and I hit some ping I series irons and LOVED them. I think they're typically around 120 a club, and he'll sell them to me for 100 a club. So, 3-9 would end up being around $740 when taxes are finished. This would include a custom fitting. Is this a good enough deal I need to jump on it? 

I don't have a lot of money that I want to blow on clubs, but I really would like to get something nice. I have been looking on craigslist without much success, and then if I do so the clubs won't be fitted to me. What should I do? Is it worth biting the bullet and purchasing an expensive (for me) set of custom clubs? Or would I be better off with some used clubs that aren't fitted. 

I've been seriously golfing for around a year and my handicap has dropped from 35+ to 12-18 range. 

Thanks for the replies,

Sam

:titleist: 913D2 

:ping: i 4-PW white dot

:titleist: Vokey 50*, 54*, and 58*

:odyssey: White Hot #7

Only you can determine what's the best thing to do with your money.  But, I would recommend looking at the preowned websites if you want some nice clubs for less money.  I've been very happy with a couple purchases from Calloway Preowned, and you can get length and lie adjusted on the Calloway branded preowned clubs.  Not sure if the TaylorMade website offers the same customization or not on their preowned clubs.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, StefanUrkel said:

No. You can shoot 90+ with or without decent clubs

That's not helpful.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's not helpful.

True, but not helpful :-D

As for the OP, I would recommend hitting some different clubs as Ping might not be the best for you.  Maybe hit a Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy and try a bunch of different clubs, both new and used.  The fitting is the best thing you can do once you have your clubs selected.  I would work through the different irons first though.

Depending on what you would like to spend, you could perhaps find a used set of irons that work almost as good as a fitted set of pings, then after a few seasons, you could pick up an actual fitted set that you could grow with.  This process worked well for me as I spent like 300 dollars on a used set of cobra irons and then after 2 years, I knew I had the money to drop so I went to hit almost every iron I could find and made my decision to get fitted for the irons that I hit best

29 minutes ago, Brian W said:

As for the OP, I would recommend hitting some different clubs as Ping might not be the best for you.  Maybe hit a Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy and try a bunch of different clubs, both new and used.  

I agree that trying a bunch of different clubs can be fun, but I don't think that is necessary for the op.  You've got connections with a Ping pro/rep/fitter who can get you a discount.  Ping has a small, medium, large, xl iron like everyone else and a good fitting system.  Don't make it too complicated.  If you want to get new fitted clubs I'd go with that guy.  If you want to save 60% get quality used clubs which probably won't be half bad.

Edited by allenc
  • Upvote 2

For what it's worth, if you really do like PING clubs and like those clubs and can get fit, go for it. Rarely -- very rarely -- will you ever find any discounts on PING. Even places like Golfsmith and budgetgolf and other online stores always have PING exempt from sales and percentage coupons.

Nice as a customer though knowing that you'll basically be paying the same price no matter what

If you like PING and want new clubs and can afford it go for it

Andrew M.

I agree with all the other suggestions to try them out and see what you think.

That said, my initial answer to your 3-9 question is no.  Unless you are pretty convinced you can hit that 20* 3 iron, you could be wasting $100 on a club you won't use.  A 4-PW setup is a different question.

John

5 hours ago, Ohdens_Wrath said:

I have been looking on craigslist without much success, and then if I do so the clubs won't be fitted to me.

Ask no further. You have been working with a Ping pro, and it appears you hit the clubs well.

Craigslist gets to be a crapshoot where you can waste a whole season grasping at straws.Craigslist and eBay have merit if you're trying to get a gap wedge to match your sand wedge, but they're iffy for charting base set.. 

A couple of years ago, I liked the idea of trying all available clubs (irons, FWs), and making a decision from that. Now, I'm seeing the benefit of focusing on a primary OEM, with others considered if primary falls short. In my case, it's Callaway.

49 minutes ago, allenc said:

You've got connections with a Ping pro/rep/fitter who can get you a discount.  Ping has a small, medium, large, xl iron like everyone else and a good fitting system.

Ping invented custom fitting for the everyday golfer. The fact you're building a relationship with a dedicated Ping guy - and you seem to hit the clubs well - has long-term merit.

I would say go with the Ping irons with custom fit - and see what happens.

As far as irons go, all the major golf OEMs make a model I could play well - as long as they had the right shafts for me. It looks like Ping has a set for you!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Well I'm a college student so of course I don't have a lot of extra cash floating around, but I really do love golf. I guess I could do better at rephrasing my concerns/thoughts.

1) It's September. Will Ping irons get cheaper during the offseason/a new model come out and drive the Ping i series (for those who asked, it's the new 2016 model. Just i, no numbers, as in the ping g or ping g max) downwards?

2) Is it really that important to get fitted for clubs? I'm 6'1" and hit my 7 consistently 190 sometimes 200 or 180 depending on how well I'm striking the ball that day. I swing an x-stiff shaft or stiff shaft. I can find some Titleist Ap2's for example which I really like and I hit well at 2nd swing for much cheaper on craigslist (because they're used) but they won't of course be fitted to me, and it doesn't seem worth it to buy clubs used and then pay the fat premium at golf smith or golf galaxy to get clubs fitted to you that weren't bought there. 

Also, thank you all so much for your replies! 

In response to StefanUrkel, that's hurtful, but it is true. I'm not the guy who thinks he has to buy the most expensive and top of the line club to play golf well. I just hit them well, I think they're gorgeous, and I'm currently hitting Adams A3OS irons from the stone age that make me puke in my mouth a little every time I look down on them. 

I said 3-9 because I love Titleist vokey wedges and can find those for really cheap on craigslist (~30 for Sm5's in good condition). I absolutely can't hit my 3f wood and I've hit my buddy's titleist 2 driving iron and my Dad's Wilson (not sure edition but they're about as skinny as a blade gets) 3i well. So, I'd rather buy an iron that feels better and I'm confident with. 

I've found with my swing confidence is so huge. I seem to hit a thinner iron better just because I can't bear the sight of the really chunky irons. 

2 hours ago, allenc said:

I agree that trying a bunch of different clubs can be fun, but I don't think that is necessary for the op.  You've got connections with a Ping pro/rep/fitter who can get you a discount.  Ping has a small, medium, large, xl iron like everyone else and a good fitting system.  Don't make it too complicated.  If you want to get new fitted clubs I'd go with that guy.  If you want to save 60% get quality used clubs which probably won't be half bad.

I dont think hitting all the different brands has anything to do with fun but truly finding out which perform the best.  If someone is completely brand specific, then sure go with whatever brand suits you and get fitted for their line that you hit best.  I would have never thought the brand I went with would be the one that performed best for me but I am absolutely in love with them now.

I guess my point is, if someone is going to get fitted for clubs, I think its best to try out all the options.  It is only a good deal if they work well for the golfer.

1 hour ago, Ohdens_Wrath said:

I said 3-9 because I love Titleist vokey wedges and can find those for really cheap on craigslist (~30 for Sm5's in good condition). I absolutely can't hit my 3f wood and I've hit my buddy's titleist 2 driving iron and my Dad's Wilson (not sure edition but they're about as skinny as a blade gets) 3i well. So, I'd rather buy an iron that feels better and I'm confident with.

Well then, 3-9 sounds great and you appear to have enough game for the I series.

Since you're getting fitted you will know if the irons work for you.

Also Pings hold their value.

Now what was that slogan of that company that just left the golf equipment industry... lol

John

50 minutes ago, Brian W said:

I dont think hitting all the different brands has anything to do with fun but truly finding out which perform the best.  If someone is completely brand specific, then sure go with whatever brand suits you and get fitted for their line that you hit best.  I would have never thought the brand I went with would be the one that performed best for me but I am absolutely in love with them now.

I guess my point is, if someone is going to get fitted for clubs, I think its best to try out all the options.  It is only a good deal if they work well for the golfer.

My point was there is little difference between brands, only between various lines in a brand.  And since custom shafts will be available from your fitting, the difference shrinks even further.

Given the latest "i" series have been around for close to a year I wouldn't say your golf pro is giving you an amazing deal but it's a fair deal.  Try them out and see how you like them.  People tend to have very strong opinions about Ping irons, they either love them or hate them but they do hold their value well.  

Joe Paradiso

Good to know. Thanks all.

Is it important at my stage of golf to be fitted for irons? If so, I think that dropping cash on these Ping irons is my best course of action (correct me if wrong). But, if it's not that important for a mid handicapper, I'll probably just wait till the middle of winter here in Minnesota to buy some used irons for cheap off Craigslist. 

Thoughts? 

10 minutes ago, Ohdens_Wrath said:

Good to know. Thanks all.

Is it important at my stage of golf to be fitted for irons? If so, I think that dropping cash on these Ping irons is my best course of action (correct me if wrong). But, if it's not that important for a mid handicapper, I'll probably just wait till the middle of winter here in Minnesota to buy some used irons for cheap off Craigslist. 

Thoughts? 

Getting fitted is not about handicap but about how consistently you swing.  If you have a grooved swing and hit the same shot every time, get fitted.  If you are struggling to hit the same shot, then wait.  At the end of the day, fitting only works if your swing is grooved

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!