IGNORED

2-piece $1-$2 ball with good feel in "optic yellow"?

Note: This thread is 2765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Back before MaxFli was bought by TaylorMade, the standard Noodle "Long and Soft" ball was available in an extreme high-viz yellow; translucent neon with gloss flake. I think many manufacturers call it "optic yellow" but mileage varies considerably within that term. "Pearl yellow" is another name but it seems uncommon as a marketing term. Anyway, as used with the MaxFli-era Noodles, you could not possibly mistake these things for anything natural laying around or growing on the course, like the myriad "Little Yellow Flowers" even botanists can't tell apart, nor did it look like the duller yellow range balls common at some courses I play, or anything painted yellow around the course. 

Image result for Noodle optic yellow golf ball

However, after the TaylorMade purchase, this optic yellow cover seems to be going the way of the dodo. The current base Noodle is white-only, and TM's current yellows are all a duller opaque yellow that blends right in with range balls and LYFs littering the course. That's ironic, because TaylorMade used this very same pearl neon yellow cover for a number of low-end ball types (which if I know TM were probably all the same ball with different names), including Burner, SuperDeep, RocketBallz, Distance/Distance+, etc.

So, I'm looking for a replacement optic yellow "value" ball. Currently I'm just playing standard white Noodles, the $15 for 15 pack available practically anywhere, and while they work well, I feel I lose fewer balls for no reason with the yellow. It's incredibly maddening to hit a shot, watch it land and roll downrange into some rough, know the exact tuft of grass it came to rest in, and when you get there, it's nowhere to be seen :pound:. These optic yellows are also rarer (and I'm beginning to see why) so it's easier to pick out my ball from a cluster of other players' balls as well as any abandoned balls.

The ideal ball would be in the $1-$2/ball range ($10-$25/doz), with a softer feel but a compression level still adequate for a ~95mph swing similar to the Noodle's profile, and of course that translucent flake neon yellow cover. They also have to be available from local brick-and-mortar stores (golf specialty or otherwise); I'm not the stock-up type, so I typically pick up a dozen on my way to the course that morning, and so the ball I play has to be on the shelf at an Academy, Dick's, even a Target or Wal-Mart (as long as I'm getting the same ball from each).

Balls I've considered (no purchases yet) include:
- Titleist NXT Tour S - Great ball for the golfer with a swing speed in the 90s who doesn't want to pay for Pro V1s. The yellow is perfect, every review is glowing, and I've played a few recycled/L&F balls of this label and like them a lot, but they're $3 a ball new and I still lose between 3-6 a round. Still the front-runner even if I end up buying packs of white Noodles alongside them for water holes.
- Bridgestone e6 - Same basic idea and pricepoint as the NXT Tour, but I have less personal experience with Bridgestone balls, positive or negative.
- Srixon Z-Star - Ditto, except Srixon has a bad rep with me at their lower levels.
- Wilson Staff DUO - These advertise a very similar profile as the Noodle; long off the tee, soft around the green, and there's even a local retailer. But, Wilson. Like Srixon, these are kind of an "eeh" choice from past experience, even at this pricepoint.
- Nike PD Soft/RZN - Out of production and/or no brick-and-mortar suppliers near me.
- Nike MOJO - good yellow and I've used MOJOs before, but if I want just yellow I have to buy online, and we know Nike's looking to get out of golf equipment.
- Volvik Vibe/Vivid - Never heard of the brand before, and like Nikes, nobody I know of in my area is stocking them.
- Callaway Supersoft - Way too soft; the Noodles pencil out at around a 60 rating and that seems about right for me given the feel I want. A 35 would get pancaked on my driver face.

If anyone has any votes to give for any of these, or any additional suggestions, I'm all ears.

Edited by Liko81

You might also check out the Snell Getsum. Dean Snell worked at Titleist and Taylormade for a long time, and is now making golf balls under his own label. I haven't tried the Get sum, but the MTB is dang close to the Pro V1, at a much lower price.  I know the Get sum is available in yellow.

https://www.snellgolf.com/products/get-sum-optic-yellow/

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Volik's vivid matte finish golf ball sticks out like a sore thumb and I think they are fairly soft.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

If you're losing 3-6 balls a round, try the Titleist TruSoft. They come in yellow, and sell for about $22 a dozen.  I know I've seen yellow for sale at golf courses and even at Walmart, so availability shouldn't be a problem.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

18 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

If you're losing 3-6 balls a round, try the Titleist TruSoft. They come in yellow, and sell for about $22 a dozen.  I know I've seen yellow for sale at golf courses and even at Walmart, so availability shouldn't be a problem.

I agree with this.  They are a good soft ball that wont break your bank.  Also, a cool thing about them is the cover.  If you get two of them out and rub them together, there is something very sticky feeling about them.  I kinda liked that feeling when I played the dozen I bought.  

I ended up going with something else that I really like but I found those to be a great deal

23 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Volik's vivid matte finish golf ball sticks out like a sore thumb and I think they are fairly soft.

I brought up Volvik Vivid in another thread, they're kind of spendy ($29.99/dozen) but super easy to see in the fairway or rough, which helps keep up the pace of play. It comes in several different colors, including a fluorescent lime green color approximating "optic yellow".

I play optic-yellow Srixon Z-Stars, but I think they may be a little above your preferred price-point at retail.  I do like their feel, but I'd describe them much more mid-range on feel compared to the low compression soft balls.

It's too bad you prefer brick and mortar only, here, as I'd otherwise pass along that KNetGolf has Z-Star's very much in your price range, even their "Mint" condition, which I've found to be indiscernible from brand new.  (No...I've no affiliation with KNet ;-) ).

Of course, I'm the opposite - a "stock up" guy - who buys once a year or so.  I usually get boxes of 60 Z-Star's from KNet, at $80 ("Mint"), or $50 (their "Grade A"...which to me, look almost brand new, and certainly play brand new).  Honestly, I don't know that I'll ever buy a retail box, again (unless in a spot where I have to).  Of course, if you saw my post on cleaning golf gloves, you'd know I'm, ummm..."economically minded".

When I did buy retail, I tried Srixon Q-Stars in optic yellow.  I suppose these could be ones that you've had a less than stellar experience with (but they aren't the lowest Srixon line).  I ditched them pretty quickly, as, though their feel is fine, I can't get those things to hold a green for anything.  I love the Z-Stars, however.

BamaWade

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

On 9/21/2016 at 10:33 PM, Missouri Swede said:

Thanks for the suggestion, however unfortunately not just any yellow will do here. The TruSofts (and SoLos) are a non-neon yellow that unfortunately would blend in perfectly with flowers and my home course's range balls.

For comparison, here's an NXT Tour S. Note the translucent quality to the cover, and the highlighter-yellow color:

Image result for pearl yellow golf balls

... compared to the opaque, flower-yellow cover on the TruSoft.

Image result for titleist trusoft yellow

The 8th and 9th holes are literally littered with pieces of balls of this exact color (not to mention the golfers even cheaper than me who sneak range balls on to the course as their own), so if I don't find the fairway it's gone.

On 9/21/2016 at 5:21 PM, DaveP043 said:

You might also check out the Snell Getsum. Dean Snell worked at Titleist and Taylormade for a long time, and is now making golf balls under his own label. I haven't tried the Get sum, but the MTB is dang close to the Pro V1, at a much lower price.  I know the Get sum is available in yellow.

https://www.snellgolf.com/products/get-sum-optic-yellow/

+1 on the GetSum, I play the MTB, but have played the GetSum in wet conditions )just to try it out) and the ball played well.  Plus if you buy 6 dozen, they are 12.50/dozen.  Can't beat that with a stick.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I haven't seen the GetSum in person.  Are the kind of "fluorescent" yellow he describes in post 9, just above your post?

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!