IGNORED

Getting Back Into Golf

Ron Swanswing
Note: This thread is 2765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For someone who used to have a swing, but has been out of the game for so damn long I may as well have never played before, how do you suggest getting back into the swing of things? (ha) I just want to get to the point where I feel comfortable getting out there with co-workers.

I figure just hitting the range as often as I can and then getting some private lessons from there. Ideas? Suggestions?

48 years old, and not proud to say I haven't played since my 20's.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!

Absolutely start with lessons as you don't want to practice an incorrect swing.  You are in a good situation for lessons, since it's been so long, perhaps you won't have to correct bad and ingrained habits.

I'd say don't even take a swing until you are with a good instructor.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Having never been in your situation, all I can say is good luck.  If your equipment is 20+ years old, you might consider getting a used "460cc" driver as they are much easier to hit for most of us.  Lessons from a competent professional can't hurt.

Brian Kuehn

The first thing I would do is go out and hit some balls. If the result is close to what you think you need just keep practicing. However if it is not good then as BKuehn 1952 mentioned go see a professional and tell him what you seek. Ask him to take a look at your swing and give you some feedback about how you can go about improving. 

Welcome back to the game. I stopped playing at 13 and took it back up at 58. Don't worry ...all the bad habits will come back:)

Get out on a course again....cuz at first as important as a swing on a flat pad at a range is relearning the infinity of types of shots, feel of the course

and etiquette of the game. Either with a buddy or alone if meed be. When I restarted I went to a couple executive courses in the area.

Good luck!

Congrats Ron for returning back !

In January i began to play again after 8 years of inactivity, they gave me my old handicap 3. Started to play on weekend at the same course trying to remember how to hit straigth the ball. At the beginning you don´t have to play with spectations of scoring good, just enjoy playing!

If you can afford lessons you can be in good shape sooner and start to spect better results to beat your co-worker or at least shoot decent rounds.

After a year of been a weekend player without practicing or taking lessons i´m a 1 handicap rigth now specting to be scratch in the near future.

Don´t rush ir, good game eventually will come back, but in the meanwhile enjoy playing !

Welcome back, I was in the same situation 3 years ago...played on and off into my 20s, didn't pick up the clubs for 15 years after my 1st was born, started up again in my mid-40s.  I would HIGHLY recommend lessons, I've taken a handful every year since I've returned to playing (I still stink, but not nearly as bad as if I hadn't).  Just a couple of observations from my own experience, I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I was able to regain some form of a game and happy to say I'm definitely playing better now then I ever did in my 20s (largely because I'm a little more serious about my game and improving now vs. back then).  Only disappointment was how much distance I lost (ah, the joys of aging), although I've been able to regain some of that with better swing fundamentals.  Enjoy!!!

FWIW, I had a long (forced) layoff from golf a few years ago. I basically had to start over from day one. The reason for my layoff required that I start slow, and easy. I started with my putter, and worked my way from there, back to the tee box. You can "google"  learng the game backwards for more information. I know it works, because I have seen it it work with a few golfers.

Obviously getting quality, personal  instruction is probably the better way to go. However, it's pretty difficult to find that quality instruction, unless you do your home work, and can find the right instructor, and more importantly have the time/money to spend with that instructor. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Get your putter and your wedge play in shape first, you'll lean on them for awhile. Grip aim stance posture...focus on the setup fundamentals. Proper grip pressure and solid contact are keys to getting your full swing in order. Tempo tempo tempo....should help your balance. Finally, but most importantly, recall proper etiquette. Repair ball marks, replace divots, rake traps properly, be still and quiet and out of peripheral vision of others when they are playing a shot. Be ready to play when it's your turn. 

Have fun and welcome back to the madness!

Note: This thread is 2765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!