IGNORED

Kirkland (Costco) Premium Golf Ball

Note: This thread is 1518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone try these yet?  Four piece ball for just over a buck a ball?

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Four-Piece-Urethane-Cover-Golf-Ball,-2-Dozen.product.100310467.html

I can't remember where I saw the first ad last week.  The verbiage that I saw compared these to Pro V1's.  Clearly not even close to the same price point as new V1's.

My current golf talent compels me to stick to the ≈.50 per ball, but I could handle 4 dollar balls and a 1 dollar price.... maybe :)

Here is some comparison data. The balls according the USGA Conforming list are made by Nassau Golf Co

Kirkland Signature with Signature in red white 4P-SC-3c M-H 360 KOR Nassau Golf Co., Ltd.  Tour Performance  

http://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/gball_list.pdf

Posted Image

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting, may be worth a shot at that price.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

I placed an order online at costco.com.  I've read reviews that say they are well worth the money and comparable to premium balls.  

I'm very curious to hear how you think they compare after you've had a chance to play them for awhile.

At the very least one can confirm they are a 4 piece ball.

I love the Kirkland signature golf ball! - Reddit

Redditor's Imgur Pics

At $30 for 2 dozen if they are even decent they are a steal in my mind.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

So interesting lol. A generic golf ball. I wondered when someone would jump onto that. 

I think I'll give them a shot. I'm moving farther and farther away from being a gold club and ball snob so long as the ball is relatively clean and not worn down. I seem to hit them all the same distance and even though I can certainly tell the feel difference off the face, my shots end up in the same location/shot shape between them for the most part. 

I'd order some right now but... I still have a boatload of balls I'm trying to go through. Still have a new dozen ProV1's that I won at a tournament this spring (which I don't even like playing) too lol.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

6 hours ago, jkelley9 said:

So interesting lol. A generic golf ball. I wondered when someone would jump onto that. 

I think I'll give them a shot. I'm moving farther and farther away from being a gold club and ball snob so long as the ball is relatively clean and not worn down. I seem to hit them all the same distance and even though I can certainly tell the feel difference off the face, my shots end up in the same location/shot shape between them for the most part. 

I'd order some right now but... I still have a boatload of balls I'm trying to go through. Still have a new dozen ProV1's that I won at a tournament this spring (which I don't even like playing) too lol.

Exactly my thoughts, all of it...

I've got some new ProV1's, I've got a bunch of new Bridgestone E6's, I've got some other new balls, I've got a 5 gallon bucket full of balls I've found, etc.  They all behave roughly the same for someone at my level.  I just laugh at the 20+ handicappers talking about how type of balls make a difference.  Have they ever analyzed one of their rounds shot by shot?  I have, thanks to Game Golf.  If I hit 50% of my shots decent, not great, not good, but decent.. If I hit 50% of my shots decent and the rest are worse than decent then I'll be right around bogey golf.  How is the little bit of difference from ball to ball going to matter for someone who plays like me.

Still, illogically, I'm going to buy those kirkland balls.

• Upvote 2

I'm sure the name "Kirkland" will scare many away out of fear of being asked "What ball are you playing?"  or someone yelling out "Who's playing the Kirkland?".  

While some may care, I don't, I took my lumps for playing orange Volvik Vivids in the Spring because they were easier to see and find.  If Kirkland is even slightly close in performance to a Pro V1 or Chome Soft then I'll be playing them.  

Joe Paradiso

2 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I'm sure the name "Kirkland" will scare many away out of fear of being asked "What ball are you playing?"  or someone yelling out "Who's playing the Kirkland?".  

While some may care, I don't, I took my lumps for playing orange Volvik Vivids in the Spring because they were easier to see and find.  If Kirkland is even slightly close in performance to a Pro V1 or Chome Soft then I'll be playing them.  

Yeah, that doesn't bother me because it's the same with "Snell."  I hit one onto an adjacent fairway once and had a nice old man ask me if they were a gift from my kids. (Clearly implying that they must have been junk) :)

The only difference is that Kirkland is already known as the Costco brand.

9 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Yeah, that doesn't bother me because it's the same with "Snell."  I hit one onto an adjacent fairway once and had a nice old man ask me if they were a gift from my kids. (Clearly implying that they must have been junk) :)

The only difference is that Kirkland is already known as the Costco brand.

That's funny because when I was testing the GetSum ball, I had similar comments from people that saw the ball I was playing.  When I explained who Snell was and the concept behind the company they act interested and start to ask more questions.  Now, Snell has a pretty good reputation and more people are playing them, especially the MTB.  

I expect the same with Kirkland, though some people are vain.  My cousin really likes Kirkland scotch and vodka (I'm not an expert so I can't tell the difference) but he doesn't want people to think he's cheap so he buys it and pours it into Johnnie Walker Black and Grey Goose bottles.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

13 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

That's funny because when I was testing the GetSum ball, I had similar comments from people that saw the ball I was playing.  When I explained who Snell was and the concept behind the company they act interested and start to ask more questions.  Now, Snell has a pretty good reputation and more people are playing them, especially the MTB.  

I expect the same with Kirkland, though some people are vain.  My cousin really likes Kirkland scotch and vodka (I'm not an expert so I can't tell the difference) but he doesn't want people to think he's cheap so he buys it and pours it into Johnnie Walker Black and Grey Goose bottles.  

I dunno ... at this point he might be better off saving the Kirkland bottles to pour any leftover Grey Goose into when people bring it.

https://rebelbartender.com/2011/07/14/review-kirkland-signature-vodka-or-is-it-or-is-it-not-grey-goose/

So, are they the same thing?  Drumroll, please…

No.  No, they are not.  And in the Bartender’s opinion, the Kirkland Signature is superior.

:beer:

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I dunno ... at this point he might be better off saving the Kirkland bottles to pour any leftover Grey Goose into when people bring it.

https://rebelbartender.com/2011/07/14/review-kirkland-signature-vodka-or-is-it-or-is-it-not-grey-goose/

:beer:

He swears their scotch and vodka is better than the brands I named, so I guess he knows his booze.  

Joe Paradiso

My order from Costco was delivered last night (pretty fast shipping) so I'm going to give them a try today.  I'll be comparing them to the Bridgestone 330 RX-S and Callaway Chrome Soft '16.  The compression of the Kirkland is a bit higher than both of the balls I typically use so I expect that may have some impact on distance.  

The packaging is similar to other 24 ball packages, one larger box with two boxes of a dozen balls inside it.  I did notice a strong scent of plastic / acetone when I opened the smaller box, but it quickly dissipated.  The ball itself looks good, though the printing on the ball looks a bit cheap or out dated, which I could care less about if it performs even close to the other golf balls I use that cost 3x what the Kirklands do.  

The standard price point of $1.25 per ball for a brand new 4 piece ball with urethane cover is pretty impressive so I hope they perform well on the course. 

I'll report back with the results and more detailed review.  

Joe Paradiso

I want to do some more testing, but I have to say the Kirkland ball is right there with the Chrome Soft around the green and might be even a little better off the tee.   I shot a 90 with it, which is a good score for me so it' definitely didn't hurt my game.

I played well enough to only use one ball for the round, which is unusual for me on my home course.  The ball held up well, despite a few hits into trees and a run in with the cart path.  The cut was direct impact with a tree on the 18th hole but otherwise the cover was in great condition and I'd have played it again.  

File Oct 15, 12 49 04 PM.jpegFile Oct 15, 12 51 50 PM.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Um, how many dimples does that ball have? Is it within regulation? Kind of looks like it's got less. Maybe just my eyes though

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Note: This thread is 1518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!