IGNORED

Gripping Down on Every Shot

stealthhwk
Note: This thread is 2663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 11/12/2016 at 11:44 AM, jamo said:

I've never liked the feel of griping down on the club, but if it doesn't feel weird to you, there's no reason you can't do it on every shot. Anthony Kim does/did that and he still hit the ball plenty long. 

Agreed. I want the club to be the perfect length to start. I have done some experimenting with slightly shorter drivers after reading on this board they were easier to hit consistently,

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

kind of like getting a haircut. If you previously had deadlocks and decide to go USMC High and Tight, you better be committed to it, cause there ain't no turning back.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been experimenting myself with gripping down on the driver at the range with some fairly decent results.  Haven't had much of a chance to try it out during an actual round so the jury's still out but I do tend to get far less dispersion without any noticeable loss in distance.  As a side note, one of my biggest swing flaws is I tend to over-swing and gripping down (along with a narrower stance) seems to help.  My instructor had me doing a drill early last season which basically consisted of me swinging with me feet together and choking way down on the club.  After a few reps, I would take a slightly wider stance and reduce the amount I was choking down on the club until I eventually got to a "normal" stance/grip.  I always seemed to hit the ball 10x better with the narrow stance and lower grip so I figured why not make that my "normal" swing.

One reason gripping down may feel odd is that most grips are tapered. If you want to grip down but don't like the feel of tapered grips there are grips that are not very tapered and could feel normal if you griped down on them. 

1 hour ago, Kalnoky said:

Do you guys find you lose any distance by gripping down on your irons? 

If you grip down an inch or so, no, but if you grip down to the shaft then yes about 5-7 yards with my irons.

I gripped down on driver today.  Ball trajectory was lower, distance shorter, and accuracy better.  I am going to tried this more to see what happens.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

15 hours ago, shanksalot said:

One reason gripping down may feel odd is that most grips are tapered. If you want to grip down but don't like the feel of tapered grips there are grips that are not very tapered and could feel normal if you griped down on them. 

https://www.golfpride.com/grips/mccplus4/

The MCC Plus 4 has less taper. I played with this all last season and really like the feel, especially on partial wedge shots where I grip down.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

22 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

Do you guys find you lose any distance by gripping down on your irons? 

I do. I do it when I am between clubs. Works for me.

Bill M

I have gripped down on my driver a few times when I wasn't hitting it very good and it resulted in much better drives for the day.

I will grip down on my low irons when I am in between clubs or want to take some yardage off a club.  I have had good results with this especially my new :mizuno:'s that seem to be :tmade: LONG!!!!!   :-P

Edited by Vinny Cap

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

"Every shot"?  then I'd just consider getting the clubs reshafted with shorter/stiffer shafts.  Or, get smaller grips.  Depends on why it feels right - the swing vs the grip

For me, gripping down is an 'option' that allows me flexibility from a normal swing.  (cutting off distance, for chipping or putting).  I guess one could always grip down and the 'option' would be to grip up when needing to fine tune......

do what works....

Bill - 

• iacas changed the title to Gripping Down on Every Shot
Note: This thread is 2663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!