IGNORED

Home Practice Net

DoubleAces
Note: This thread is 2670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

DTL video and assuming weight and hands are correctly forward?

FO video is useful for determining quality of ball contact.

DL for ball flight.

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

In addition to the direction it spins around the horizontal bar, I thought the ball might also spin along the axis of the rope. If so, wouldn't the combination of the two give you at least some indication?

Good luck seeing that. That thing is pretty useless. And not durable as you said.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, natureboy said:

For a cheapo kludge option I read about a guy using a tarp backed by heavy canvas drop cloths suspended from a pipe.

That was my first set-up - I had one of those big blue tarps tied to the rafters at the top and weighted down with cinder blocks at the bottom and then draped over with 2 large canvas drop clothes.  That was a pretty bad set-up.  It was amazingly loud.  It was also really tricky to get the amount of slack right...after a bunch of shots it would loosen up and sometimes the balls would get past . .then I'd tighten it up and the next one would rocket back at me, lol . .good times.  

6 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

That was my first set-up - I had one of those big blue tarps tied to the rafters at the top and weighted down with cinder blocks at the bottom and then draped over with 2 large canvas drop clothes.  That was a pretty bad set-up.  It was amazingly loud.  It was also really tricky to get the amount of slack right...after a bunch of shots it would loosen up and sometimes the balls would get past . .then I'd tighten it up and the next one would rocket back at me, lol . .good times.  

Yeah, that must have been loud as ****. I once wrapped a swing set with an orange tarp and hit a ball into it. Sounded like a freakin' gunshot. Never hit a second ball into it. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

18 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

12 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

Yeah, that must have been loud as ****. I once wrapped a swing set with an orange tarp and hit a ball into it. Sounded like a freakin' gunshot. Never hit a second ball into it. 

Never tried it. I wonder if you could reduce the noise a bit by separating the draped layers slightly so each had a little more space to give in between the layers?

Kevin

I have enough clearance to swing a 5 iron in my basement. Over the years I've had a few different nets or tarps set up. I've always wanted to be able to break down the net and set it up outside so I could hit drivers. The store bought net assemblies that I bought were a PITA to set up once much less break down and redo.

I'm thinking of just making my own frame from 1" pvc and buying some cheap net online. As long as I don't glue the fittings, I can adjust as necessary.

1 hour ago, RH31 said:

I

I'm thinking of just making my own frame from 1" pvc and buying some cheap net online. As long as I don't glue the fittings, I can adjust as necessary.

I've done pvc several times, a couple of different designs. I recommend you go with 1 1/2 inch ID.  holds up better, fittings easy to find. For the most part, they will hold by friction. Occasionally you might have to whack and end fitting back in. ( the ones on the ground and use a rubber mallet). Your total cost should not be more than $60-$100 depending on the net.

• Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Not to beat this subject to death, but a few have asked where I got my nets.  Nets-buoys-and more have a good selection. Here is one:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x-9-GOLF-BLACK-SQUARE-NYLON-BACKSTOP-NETTING-Top-Rope-Border-3-4-18-/331928100622?hash=item4d4874df0e:m:mpy0xnPmCdSuicJcTtvuYyg

Diagonal pattern looks better, but a little harder to hang straight. 3/4 inch #18 will handle drivers.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

On 11/21/2016 at 7:33 AM, carpediem4300 said:

what are the benefits of having a matt and net setup? I ask as i wonder how your actually use it to practice if you only see the ball flight for a short distance, i can see it helping with contact etc, but how do you know your working on the right thing if you cant see the full flight of the ball and how its reacting?

This is exactly my concern. I just purchased 5 acres and would like to get as much distance between mat and net as possible for this reason, but is a net even a good idea at all without a shot monitor?

Edited by zero

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

I bought my Net Return at the same time with my SkyTrak LM.  To a previous comment, hitting into a net is pretty meaningless if you can't see ball flight.  While it was a bit of an investment it has paid dividends in allowing me to practice at night when my kids go to bed and throughout the winter months.  For netting you can certainly go with a cheaper option, but I'd strongly suggest a launch monitor.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

On 12/2/2016 at 2:20 PM, zero said:

This is exactly my concern. I just purchased 5 acres and would like to get as much distance between mat and net as possible for this reason, but is a net even a good idea at all without a shot monitor?

38 minutes ago, OrangeHog said:

I bought my Net Return at the same time with my SkyTrak LM.  To a previous comment, hitting into a net is pretty meaningless if you can't see ball flight.  While it was a bit of an investment it has paid dividends in allowing me to practice at night when my kids go to bed and throughout the winter months.  For netting you can certainly go with a cheaper option, but I'd strongly suggest a launch monitor.

Obviously, if you can afford the LM then get it! However, if you have a decent camera and know what to look for, you can predict ballflight well enough to work on your swing. As long as the camera speed is high enough that you can see the start line and where your clubhead is at A6, you'll know the approximate face angle and club path. If you can be relatively consistent with those two factors, you'll be grooving a swing that can get around the course. You may need to fine tune it a bit on the range, but you'll benefit from the work done into the net.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I have the parts and am going to make this: Free golf Cage plans

It is made with Sch 40 1.5 inch PVC. The parts were a little over $100. I bought the connectors from them because it is hard to find the 4-way connectors. I am going to use a combination of netting and shade cloth on the sides. In the impact area I am going to hang something like a piece of carpet angled down. I bought a mat ( Dura-ProPlus 3x5 Residential Golf Mat) from DW Quail.

Doug

2 hours ago, OrangeHog said:

That's what I initially thought so I bought a p3 pro swing to go with my net.  Well, the p3 pro swing turned out to be a bust but it turns out I can tell a lot just hitting into a net without seeing any ball flight.  For one - you can definitely tell if you hit it high or low.  For each club I know how high on the net a well struck shot should hit.  You can also tell a lot about the quality of contact - both from sound and feel.  I never worry - did I slice that one?  Because a slice feels very different than a flush.  

After a lot of net practice - I swear I can hear tiny things in my impact that almost nobody else can hear.  I recognize at least a half dozen "contact sounds" by their degree of "flushness".  I can audibly tell when I've hit the ball first but then hit the mat too hard vs just the right amount.  You know how people talk about hitting crisp wedges?  I hit crisp, crisper, even crisper and crispiest wedges, lol.  And I'm pretty sure there are more degrees of crispness to come that I haven't even heard yet.  

I can tell just how nice my Mizuno irons sound . .and I can tell if I'm hitting a Precept or a Top Flite by sound alone (that's an easy one, lol).  I can tell if the ball is starting to crack by the sound  . ..I could go on, lol.        

"James"

On 12/6/2016 at 2:40 PM, AbsoluteTruths said:

I have the parts and am going to make this: Free golf Cage plans

It is made with Sch 40 1.5 inch PVC. The parts were a little over $100. I bought the connectors from them because it is hard to find the 4-way connectors. I am going to use a combination of netting and shade cloth on the sides. In the impact area I am going to hang something like a piece of carpet angled down. I bought a mat ( Dura-ProPlus 3x5 Residential Golf Mat) from DW Quail.

How do you like your mat?

Edited by DoubleAces

for those who do not want to spend a lot of money on a mat, I find this to be of very good quality and durability. Its a bit smaller, but really all that you need. I actually like it better than the hitting strip I got from Real Feel. 

(never mind - bad link)

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

"James"

Note: This thread is 2670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!