IGNORED

Hitting for the Cycle - Golf Style

bkuehn1952

Shooting for the "Golf Cycle" Versus Baseball's Hitting for the Cycle  

15 members have voted

1. 1. If one were to try to create a "Golf Cycle" similar to baseball's hitting for the cycle, what would it be?

• Albatross, Eagle, Birdie, Par
    • Eagle, Birdie, Par, Bogey
    • Something else - please explain

Baseball has hitting for the cycle so I began to wonder what would be the golf equivalent.  Should it be "Albatross, Eagle, Birdie, Par" or "Eagle, Birdie, Par, Bogey"?  Perhaps a "golf cycle" should be recording a scores of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 1,2,3,4,5? Of course, including an ace (or an albatross) in the golf version of the cycle seems to me to make the achievement too difficult.  It should be hard and uncommon but not almost impossible.

Well, whatever one wants to call the "golf cycle", I had to check if I had personally ever had a round where I hit for one of these "cycles". Unfortunately, during my two rounds with an "ace" the best I could do was 1,3,4,5.  I have also managed 2,3,4,5.  I did have an "Eagle, Birdie, Par, Bogey" round this year but never an Albatross.

Anyone out there have a round with scores of 1,2,3,4?  Or better yet, "Albatross, Eagle, Birdie, Par"?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know that I've had eagle, birdie, par, bogey.  It wouldn't surprise me if I had had a double in that round too, but I just don't know.  I've also had 2,3,4,5...and again, likely 6.  That's as close as I can come.

I feel like it would require an ace/albatross to be comparable, getting an eagle and a birdie in the same round seems way more frequent then hitting for the cycle.

Edited by JxQx

I dont think you can add a bogey into a cycle! Nobody is trying to get a bogie, we settle for them!
A par is equivalent of a base-hit, it is standard and routine.
Birdie would be your double, far less frequent than a single and far more beneficial.
Eagle is a triple, 
Albatross or Ace is the HR

I dont think you would need to hit them specifically in order, just consecutively in any 4 holes.

Does it have to be 4 things? I think par is kind of common place. Bogey's are like an out so I wouldn't count them.

For me it would be Albatross, Eagle, Birdie in a round or Albatross, Hole in one, Eagle, Birdie in a round. The latter is less ideal because a hole in one could be one of the first two.

But baseball isn't handicapped so you almost need a sliding scale to define "the cycle". Birdies and pars are common place for above average players. Pars and bogies for average players. Bogies and doubles for others. 

Fun question.

I think the first problem with the comparison is quantity - in baseball, you only get 5 or 6 at bats to hit for the cycle.  It's also a few things that happen very often (single, double, homer), and one thing that is rarer (triples).  You have to put them all together, but there's always one that's the toughest.

Also:

1 hour ago, chilepepper said:

But baseball isn't handicapped so you almost need a sliding scale to define "the cycle".

So, here's my best stab at it:

Golf's cycle is a net birdie on a par-3 (that's the "double"/"homer" - tough, but not unreasonable), net birdie on a par-4 (that's the "single" - easy), and net eagle on a par-5 (that's the "triple"), all in the same 9 holes.

(if you don't like it being "net", the birdie-par-3, birdie-par-4, and eagle-par-5 still works)

• Upvote 3

• 4 years later...

I had a Gordie Howe Hat Trick playing golf once.

In one round, I had 3 consecutive birdies - and a five month suspension for fighting ...  😁

The guy I beat refused to pay up, so I collected in the Mafia Manner ... 

• Funny 1
  • Upvote 1

After looking at the odds for a "cycle", I might lean toward scoring "1, 2, 3, 4" in a single round.  Clearly baseball and golf have very little in common so creating a common standard of difficulty is impossible.  Aces in golf are rare.  An albatross is even rarer and making and ace and an albatross in the same round would make the accomplishment close to impossible.

From Wikipedia:

The cycle is about as uncommon as a no-hitter;[6][7] it has been called "one of the rarest"[8] and "most difficult feats"[9] in baseball. Based on 2009 offensive levels, the probability of an average MLB player hitting for a cycle against an average team in a game is approximately 0.00590%; this corresponds to about 212 cycles in a 162-game season with 30 teams.[10] The most cycles hit in a single major league season is eight, which occurred in both 1933 and 2009.[3]

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

After looking at the odds for a "cycle", I might lean toward scoring "1, 2, 3, 4" in a single round.  Clearly baseball and golf have very little in common so creating a common standard of difficulty is impossible.  Aces in golf are rare.  An albatross is even rarer and making and ace and an albatross in the same round would make the accomplishment close to impossible.

From Wikipedia:

The cycle is about as uncommon as a no-hitter;[6][7] it has been called "one of the rarest"[8] and "most difficult feats"[9] in baseball. Based on 2009 offensive levels, the probability of an average MLB player hitting for a cycle against an average team in a game is approximately 0.00590%; this corresponds to about 212 cycles in a 162-game season with 30 teams.[10] The most cycles hit in a single major league season is eight, which occurred in both 1933 and 2009.[3]

I would add that the 2, 3 and 4 would have to be birdie or better. So

1. ace
  2. birdie on a par three or eagle on a par 4
  3. birdie on a par 4 or eagle on par 5
  4. then birdie on par 5
  • Upvote 1