IGNORED

Shaft Replacement Cost / Irons

Note: This thread is 2640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the first time in my short golf career, I finally bent a club (4-iron). Unfortunately the shaft is bent and cracked at the ferrule, therefore unsalvageable.

Dick’s Sporting Goods wants $57 to replace the shaft. The shaft is a True Temper Dynamic Gold that came stock w/ the club. Dick’s said they could save the grip, which is almost brand new. $57 seems really high to me for this kind of repair. Unfortunately all the local courses also send their clubs out to Dick’s for repair, so I am out of options.

Is $57 reasonable for this kind of repair? How difficult is it to do this job at home? 

I'm afraid this experience has made me paranoid about hitting off of mats.

Edited by Kalnoky

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

57 clams is pretty steep...if you are already set-up to do the repair yourself.  The work isn't difficult but you need a vice, shaft clamp, torch, pipe cutter, abrasives, solvents, epoxy, etc...and when you buy good quality tools (my pipe cutter was $35 sixteen years ago) the costs add up quickly.  If you aren't planning to take up club making and repair as a hobby; it is less expensive to pay someone else for an occasional repair.

• Upvote 2

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Yes, that's rather steep, but...

The Dynamic Golf raw shaft costs about $21, so Dick's is charging you $36 for the removal, shaft prepping, refitting and grip salvage.

If you're not a regular amateur clubsmith, just pay the $$.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, that seems high.  The shop I managed which specialized in club repair charged $24.95 for a Dynamic Gold, which included the shaft and labor to install it.  Shooting the grip off your old shaft and installing it on the new shaft was $5.00.  Even if the shaft had snapped off at the hosel and the tip needed to be removed it was only an extra $5.00.  That's $35.00. The only thing I can think of is that they are sending it off somewhere too!

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

5 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

The only thing I can think of is that they are sending it off somewhere too!

$57 is high but not outrageous. If no one else in the area repairs clubs, Dick's has a bit of a monopoly.

K, take the GolfWorks course (see below), buy some equipment, and offer a lower repair price to your community. Basic economics... enlightened self-interest and all that.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Do yourself a favor and start paying attention to the sole of your clubs. That will show you how destructive those matts are. (Imagine playing football on that stuff). And if you ever start buying used clubs online always insist on closeup sole shots. Golf was meant to be played on grass and thats what the clubs are made for. Avoid those matts like the plague. Not to mention it's not giving real playing feedback on your swing. 

PS: I hate mats    : )

58 minutes ago, Lagavulin62 said:

Do yourself a favor and start paying attention to the sole of your clubs. That will show you how destructive those matts are. (Imagine playing football on that stuff). And if you ever start buying used clubs online always insist on closeup sole shots. Golf was meant to be played on grass and thats what the clubs are made for. Avoid those matts like the plague. Not to mention it's not giving real playing feedback on your swing. 

Totally agree on this post.  I always look at the sole as well as the shaft/hosel area when buying used.

Mats are horrible to practice off.  I will skip the range if I cant hit of grass.  Trying to clean that melted plastic off my shiny Miura's is not a fun task!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

8 hours ago, Lagavulin62 said:

Mats are fine, I don't know where you get the belief from that a grass range would be better. I've practiced with my clubs almost exclusively on mats for 4 years, and they have a nice matte (hah!) finish on the sole, with an occasional streak parallel to the direction of my swing path, which is really probably just from different stuff I encounter on the course. Grass driving ranges get sanded heavily to even them out and sand is really abrasive to a club's finish. Combine that with either having to wash your club between shots to get dirt off the face or risk face abrasion on the next shot, and I would argue grass is a more destructive material to hit off of than a mat. If you come across a cheap mat and get some of that green residue, I guess that can be annoying, but it's something 15 seconds in hot water once you get home will fix. I don't come across those mats anymore except at the cheapest of cheap driving ranges, though. Good mats are fine for practicing, especially when you're working on something different. I won't argue a grass range will probably allow you to recreate course conditions better, but I don't get why you'd have strong feelings against mats.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

23 minutes ago, dkolo said:

I don't come across those mats anymore except at the cheapest of cheap driving ranges, though. Good mats are fine for practicing, especially when you're working on something different.

That's the key point: not all mats are created equal. Some of the better ones have multiple layers of material between the ground and the artificial turf bristles.

There's a range nearby that has mats you can probably sleep on. Then there are the mats that are so worn out it's like hitting off plywood. 

42 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

That's the key point: not all mats are created equal.

Of course not, just as there are grass ranges that are kept in terrible shape

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

There will be a day when the whole course will be artificial. There may be some already? Just like you won't see me on a fake range, don't expect to see me on these courses. That is not golf to me. But there will be plenty to pay 200 a round for this. That's fine, it may not be golf to me but I admit it's good business. 

Broke a club last week. Have to change it. It was a true temper XP90 S300. In Argentina it cost me 950 pesos (local currency) converted to dolars it´s 59 usd.

13 hours ago, Lagavulin62 said:

Pretty old thread. What did you end up doing? 

During the last snow, my instructor had nothing to do (he also works in the pro shop) and after hearing my sob story, he agreed to fix it for $30. He muttered to himself the whole time... "yeah, we don't do this kind of work anymore", and "I hate doing these.. it's not worth it", etc.

The guy knows how to hit a golf ball but is a terrible businessman. 

Note: This thread is 2640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!