IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

That's 4 in a row now for you, right?  Way to go!  
CY

Thanks!  Its 3 weeks in a row.  Carded an 87 , 88 & 88.

Yea I switched up my putters and was grinding it out.  Hope to keep this up and have a great summer in the 80's!

I left a few shots out there and will try to not do that again and see if I can do even better.

Edited by Vinny Cap

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

I did it again on Sat morning.  Shot another 88!

Went out with 43 and back in with 45.  10 putts on the front and 16 on the back.  That was with leaving the last 5 holes 1" short of dropping in!  Man, so close... had the line but needed one more ball revolution! 

Had a Birdie and 2 pars on the front and 3 pars on the back.  It was a great day of golfing.  Hope you all had fun as well.

Congrats, I'd like to see another one of my rounds start with an 8 but I keep messing up the back 9.  Keep it going!

Joe Paradiso

8 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Congrats, I'd like to see another one of my rounds start with an 8 but I keep messing up the back 9.  Keep it going!

Thanks!  I hear you on that one.  8's look so much better. Try something different at the turn.  Last week it was get 2 beers.  This week it was add two guys to our twosome. (Not sure if it would help, but it sounds good)

Shot a really encouraging 85 in the week while playing with a mate. Today in a Comp I scored 22, yes you heard me, that's 22 points. 

It was one of those rounds that makes you want to give the game up. I hooked/ sliced/ duffed 6/7 of the front 9 drives OOB or into long grass unplayable. Driving is normally my strength.

Then my putting went too. And I mean really went. I'm talking leaving a 30/20 footers 10 feet short. My brain was completely scrambled. I somehow bogied both par 5s on the way in after being no more than 50 yards short of the green in 2.

I know it's just a game n'all, but that experience verged on the unpleasant! I think I'll stick to playing for fun with mates until I get some confidence back.

• Upvote 1

After a lot of struggles recently I went into my league night not expecting much, especially when I ended up playing solo against both opponents since my father wasn't feeling well so wasn't there. Perhaps going in with lower expectations was good though because when I hit the few bad shots they didn't get to me at all. I was 1 over after 3 and hit my next tee shot right off the toe and straight right OB. I laughed it off, re-teed and put my 3rd shot 10 feet from the hole which I preceded to sink to save bogey. The only thing that was annoying was missing birdie putts **4 of them**. I had 5 pars and 3 bogeys. Unfortunately my 9 hole score isn't legit because I wasn't able to locate my drive on the second to last hole. Not so much because I hit a poor shot as it didn't draw. I was sure that it was going to be in an open area behind a line of trees to the right of the fairway but I had apparently got more distance than anticipated. Being unable to go back to the tee to rehit, and per the rules of the league, I ended up taking a drop in the area closest to where everyone agreed it would have gone. Ended up with a triple after giving myself +2 penalty. I feel like had I either hit a provisional to start or been able to go back and retee I would have done better than that because my drive on the last hole was a nice draw shot. Overall I was really happy with the way I played and ended up beating both opponents. Now I'm conflicted about whether to go play today or go to the range. 

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

On 7/25/2016 at 9:07 AM, Vinny Cap said:

I did it again on Sat morning.  Shot another 88!

Went out with 43 and back in with 45.  10 putts on the front and 16 on the back.  That was with leaving the last 5 holes 1" short of dropping in!  Man, so close... had the line but needed one more ball revolution! 

Had a Birdie and 2 pars on the front and 3 pars on the back.  It was a great day of golfing.  Hope you all had fun as well.

3 straight rounds of good golf - I'd take that as a sure sign of improving.   It's a nice feeling, isn't it?   

I tried a new course this week, 2 rounds at a link style course.   It's always nice to try a new course to see how my HI translate in an unfamiliar course.   It translated well as I beat/tied my HI for both rounds.   However, my HI was trending to climb over 16.   Then came my PR round at a home course which reduced my HI by a full point.   It was one of those rounds where everything went my way.   For now, my HI will stay below 16, my 2016 stated golf goal.  

What's working: putting, short game

What's not working: occasional OB shots with all different clubs

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I shot a 92 this weekend at the most difficult course in my area, Eagle Crest. After a string of 88s recently this felt very similar, with the extra 4 strokes coming because of course difficulty not poor play. 

• Upvote 1

- Mark

I played Thursday on the same course I played last week.  It wasn't a very good round.  I struggled in the heat and shot a 103 that day.  I had a lot of really loose shots that resulted in lost balls and penalty strokes.  The only 'good' news about that day was that it was just a round to get myself loose for the weekend.

Over the weekend, I played in another of our 2 day majors.  This one was over 2 different courses that we had played earlier in the year.

Saturday was at a course I genuinely enjoy playing.  It reminds me very much of some of the courses I played in New Jersey and I have always enjoyed the layout.  When we played there in March, I shot a not-so-good score of 98.  On Saturday... things just seemed to be clicking for me.  Although I only hit 6 of 14 fairways, I was never really more than a few feet off (except for 2 holes).  Despite some early struggles (double - double to start)... I played pretty solid golf and shot a 44 - 43 = 87 which put me in a tie for 2nd place (1 stroke back) heading into the final round.  

Sunday was played at a course that I DON'T enjoy playing.  It's not that it's a difficult course, but I just find that I struggle there.  I was in the final group and trailed the leader by 1 shot heading in.  I put myself in an early hole when I took a triple bogey by putting 2 tee shots in a pond on a hole that I should NEVER have used my driver on.  Luckily, I got them back the next hole when the leader took a triple bogey and I made par.  It was then a solid string of holes as I went +7 over the next 10 holes.  At that point, there was a new leader and I was 3 strokes behind with 5 holes to play.  I got an extremely unlucky bounce on my tee shot and although it was open and we found a bunch of other balls... we never found mine.  That led to a triple bogey and it effectively knocked me out of the running.  I played the final 4 holes bogey - bogey - par - par to finish with a 45 - 44 = 89.

My 2 day total of 176 finished 4 strokes behind the winning total of 172.  I earned 4th place for myself, but... that bounce on the 8th hole (shotgun start so it was my 14th hole) really, really hurt.  I'll be thinking about that for awhile.

Still... I'm finding myself in the 80's way more often and my handicap index, as of the revision this morning is to a new 'career' low of 15.4 now, so... I'm not exactly unhappy!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

49 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

Still... I'm finding myself in the 80's way more often and my handicap index, as of the revision this morning is to a new 'career' low of 15.4 now, so... I'm not exactly unhappy!

CY

This is fantastic. Great feeling. To consistently break 90 is a goal for most of us on here. I have done 3 of my last 4 rounds and it really feels like a jump in the level of my game. Quite fun. 

• Upvote 2

- Mark

Broke 90 today, and for the 1st time, decisively!  I went out and shot a 41 (+5) on the front 9, and was feeling great!  However, after going 5 over on the front, I proceeded to go 5 over on through the 1st 2 hole of the back 9.  I figured the backward slide was about to begin.  I was able to pull it together and finish the back with a bogey and a double mixed among 5 pars.  My biggest improvement was hitting 11 GIRs.  I had never had more than 2-3 in a full round.  I hope to be able to carry this forward!  I know there will be more rounds worse, but I hope to limit them.

• Upvote 2

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

31 minutes ago, djfajt71 said:

Broke 90 today, and for the 1st time, decisively!  I went out and shot a 41 (+5) on the front 9, and was feeling great!  However, after going 5 over on the front, I proceeded to go 5 over on through the 1st 2 hole of the back 9.  I figured the backward slide was about to begin.  I was able to pull it together and finish the back with a bogey and a double mixed among 5 pars.  My biggest improvement was hitting 11 GIRs.  I had never had more than 2-3 in a full round.  I hope to be able to carry this forward!  I know there will be more rounds worse, but I hope to limit them.

Nice round!  Congrats!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:08 PM, rkim291968 said:

3 straight rounds of good golf - I'd take that as a sure sign of improving.   It's a nice feeling, isn't it?   

Thanks!  I am liking it and could get use to this.  Didn't get out over the weekend, had a ton going on but hope to bring it again this weekend.  Got my 8:00 all setup for Sat morn.

Looks like you did pretty good over the weekend at a new place... that can be tough.

Congrats to all that played good over the weekend and keep it going!!

Now I know why my co workers dont believe me when i break 90. After an 88 two weeks ago, today was so bad I just left after 14. Between the heat, the slow play, hitting it thin, fat, right, and left I just stopped giving a damn. This game really pisses me off sometimes. >:(

made 20 points in a stableford on Sunday while putting badly.  That would be an 88 if I counted every scratch as a double, but there was a hole that I was at bogey still off the green and a bogey chip that missed and left a long putt that i picked up.  Still it feels ...close.  I have been over drawing my irons on approaches and pulling on bad shots.  I am tempted to try going back to an interlock grip for a round or two, to see if that helps the over draws, also plan on trying to lengthen my backswing a bit to accomplish the same.  I didn't expect to be that close but i have been posting low 90's, with a mid or high 90 score thrown here or there on a bad day, haven't shot in the 100's in a month or two .  But i know they are still out there.  I will report back after Sundays's round 

Positive improvement:  The 2nd half of this year's golf season, I've found myself taking ONE club to the green more times than not.  Before, it was my usual complement of tools for chipping and putting.  Now, more than half the holes, I'm taking only a putter to the green.  Certainly resulted in lower scores.  Breaking 90 every time out; Shooting sub-85 many rounds.

dave

• Upvote 2

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

2 hours ago, dave s said:

Positive improvement:  The 2nd half of this year's golf season, I've found myself taking ONE club to the green more times than not.  Before, it was my usual complement of tools for chipping and putting.  Now, more than half the holes, I'm taking only a putter to the green.  Certainly resulted in lower scores.  Breaking 90 every time out; Shooting sub-85 many rounds.

dave

holy cow... That's great work!  Do you keep an official handicap? You may already be overqualified for this thread :beer:

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

2 hours ago, dave s said:

dave

GREAT JOB!!!  I found getting to the green on your approach is the way to break any goal you have.  It was and still is something I'm trying to improve upon.  I also trying to work on those close chips, because you can't always hit the green :)

Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!