IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just don't see too many courses with 110 rated tees.   I think there is too much of "good course = difficult course" perception out there and easier courses are relegated to beginner's haven.

The newest addition, Hoot's Hollow, opened in July, 2002. Similar to The Rock and The Quarry, Hoot's Hollow features zoysia fairways stretched between multiple ponds and creeks. Two interesting points are the island green on number 17 and the double green that is shared by numbers 9 and 18. Please call (816)380-4920 for a tee time. Par: 72 Length: 7,012/6,567/5,958/5,333 Slope: 119/117/115/111 Course Rating: 71.9/70.2/69.1/68.3 I have played here a lot of the past two year and its helped with my confidence. Its cheep as well. I can take my not so good golf friends out there and they dont lose two sleeves of balls while shooting a 148. But the holes around the water still gets you thinking. Not a push over, but nothing crazy.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote:
I think it's harder for a golf course to provide that kind of level of customization. You can adjust tee boxes to a certain extent, but a lot of the difficulty of a course comes from hazards, sloped fairways and greens, forced carries, that sort of stuff. If they make the course "good" by championship standards, us bogey guys are still experiencing a lot of the same obstacles, despite playing shorter distances.

This is precisely what the "Bogey Rating" addresses. All of the difficulties mentioned above, and more, are considered and the expected best 10 of 20 scores are given for each tee.

Unfortunately, adjusting the various tee boxes is about the only way any individual course can accommodate ALL levels of players.

The system works, and provides the opportunity for challenging play for every level of golfer, provided the golfers themselves utilize the ratings to deliver the level of challenge that they desire.

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Unfortunately, adjusting the various tee boxes is about the only way any individual course can accommodate ALL levels of players.

Yea, that's what I'm getting at, either you are going to make a relatively easy course and alienate the better players, or a difficult course that alienates the less skilled.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yea, that's what I'm getting at, either you are going to make a relatively easy course and alienate the better players, or a difficult course that alienates the less skilled.

Recently, course designs have focused on "Championship" styles that favor distance and extravagant hazards over accuracy and strategy.

Many of the more traditional courses of the past consisted of interesting and strategically designed holes that offered risk vs reward to most levels of players.

And that is why the best of the best course designers are worth every dime they are paid.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

Recently, course designs have focused on "Championship" styles that favor distance and extravagant hazards over accuracy and strategy.

Many of the more traditional courses of the past consisted of interesting and strategically designed holes that offered risk vs reward to most levels of players.

And that is why the best of the best course designers are worth every dime they are paid.

Read an article on why new courses are getting longer, therefore, more difficult.   One of the reasons was that developers make money by building houses along the course.   Long course = larger housing complex.   Hmm.   That doesn't bode well for short hitter like me.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CR McDivot

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

Read an article on why new courses are getting longer, therefore, more difficult.   One of the reasons was that developers make money by building houses along the course.   Long course = larger housing complex.   Hmm.   That doesn't bode well for short hitter like me.

I guess that makes (money) sense, but if only the elite few can enjoy playing it how do they make money on the course? Higher association fees for the homeowners?

Kind of ironic.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I guess that makes (money) sense, but if only the elite few can enjoy playing it how do they make money on the course? Higher association fees for the homeowners?

Kind of ironic.

I think that's how some courses (at least in Bay Area) go bankrupt, get sold for lower price, close one of the two courses, lower membership price, etc..  Golf price around here haven't kept up with inflation for some time.

Focused on hybrid & 3W at range today.   On back swing, I developed a bad habit of not taking the club straight back until body starts to turn.  I made the adjustment and I am making solid contact.  Now, instead of going all over the place (left, right, dribbler), I am only pushing and slicing :pound: .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/70872/bogey-golfer-only-thread-handicap-index-from-16-22-what-are-you-going-through-working-on-sob-stories/522#post_929426"] I guess that makes (money) sense, but if only the elite few can enjoy playing it how do they make money on the course? Higher association fees for the homeowners? Kind of ironic. [/QUOTE] I think that's how some courses (at least in Bay Area) go bankrupt, get sold for lower price, close one of the two courses, lower membership price, etc..  Golf price around here haven't kept up with inflation for some time.  Focused on hybrid & 3W at range today.   On back swing, I developed a bad habit of not taking the club straight back until body starts to turn.  I made the adjustment and I am making solid contact.  Now, instead of going all over the place (left, right, dribbler), I am only pushing and slicing :pound: .

Or, they could attract more good golf instructors to the area. :tumble:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Here is one example of a modern well designed and managed course...

Club/Course Name City State
Riverdale Golf Course - Dunes Brighton CO

Tee Name USGA Course Rating (18) Slope Rating (18) Bogey Rating (18) Gender
Gold 73.2 133 97.8 M
Blue 70.2 129 94.2 M
White 67.2 119 89.3 M
Red 62.9 110 83.2 M
Blue 76.3 144 110.1 F
White 72.9 136 105.0 F
Combo 70.9 131 101.8 F
Red 67.5 123 96.5 F

The Gold tees (tips 7067 yrds) require authorization from the pro shop as a scratch player is expected to turn in an over par score, yet the regular mens tees (white 5858 yrds) are suitable for the Bogey golfer.

In either case strategy and accuracy are a priority.

The Dunes

The course, designed by Pete and Perry Dye, is a Scottish style links course, meandering along the South Platte River. Plenty of pot bunkers, mounds and water, and (naturally) the trademark railroad ties, are featured on this consistently top-rated public golf course in Colorado!

• “One of America’s most affordable courses”—Golf Magazine
  • “# 1 Public Course in Colorado”— Colorado Golfer Newspaper
  • “One of America’s Best Courses Everyone Can Play”—Golf Digest
  • “Top 75 Public Courses —Golf Digest Magazine

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Here is one example of a modern well designed and managed course... The Gold tees (tips 7067 yrds) require authorization from the pro shop as a scratch player is expected to turn in an over par score, yet the regular mens tees (white 5858 yrds) are suitable for the Bogey golfer. In either case strategy and accuracy are a priority.

[URL=http://www.riverdalegolf.com/]The Dunes[/URL]

The course, designed by Pete and Perry Dye, is a Scottish style links course, meandering along the South Platte River. Plenty of pot bunkers, mounds and water, and (naturally) the trademark railroad ties, are featured on this consistently top-rated public golf course in Colorado! [LIST] [*] “One of America’s most affordable courses”—Golf Magazine [*] “# 1 Public Course in Colorado”— Colorado Golfer Newspaper [*] “One of America’s Best Courses Everyone Can Play”—Golf Digest [*] “Top 75 Public Courses —Golf Digest Magazine [/LIST]

I'm sure this has likely been asked already but does the altitude in Colorado impact the ball and if so, how?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CR McDivot

Here is one example of a modern well designed and managed course...

Club/Course Name

City

State

Riverdale Golf Course - Dunes

Brighton

CO

Tee Name

USGA Course Rating (18)

Slope Rating (18)

Bogey Rating (18)

Gold

M

Blue

M

White

M

Red

M

Blue

F

White

F

Combo

F

Red

F

The Gold tees (tips 7067 yrds) require authorization from the pro shop as a scratch player is expected to turn in an over par score, yet the regular mens tees (white 5858 yrds) are suitable for the Bogey golfer.

In either case strategy and accuracy are a priority.

The Dunes

The course, designed by Pete and Perry Dye, is a Scottish style links course, meandering along the South Platte River. Plenty of pot bunkers, mounds and water, and (naturally) the trademark railroad ties, are featured on this consistently top-rated public golf course in Colorado!

“One of America’s most affordable courses”—Golf Magazine

“# 1 Public Course in Colorado”— Colorado Golfer Newspaper

“One of America’s Best Courses Everyone Can Play”—Golf Digest

“Top 75 Public Courses —Golf Digest Magazine

I'm sure this has likely been asked already but does the altitude in Colorado impact the ball and if so, how?

High altitude improves distance.

http://www.pga.com/playing-in-higher-altitudes

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

You still have to be a decent ball striker to get it out there. I play a lot of golf and I rarely encounter a big hitter here in CO. It's been a while since I've golfed elsewhere but I would say the average bogey type gofler here doesn't reap the altitude advantage. The frequency of mishits prevents it, their inconsistency is the only constant. Regarding the Riverdale example they rarely put the markers to the published distances. That course plays short to keep people moving.

Dave :-)

Hello, fellow bogey golfers.   No sob story today, just the opposite.

This weekend, I finished 2nd place on my 1st ever tournament.   It was a two day 90% handicap event at Del Monte, and Spanish Bay, courses I never played before.   I established an official handicap a few months ago, all of my scores coming from the current home course which plays 2 - 3 strokes harder than its rating.  So, I liked my chances and did well at Del Monte on day 1.  I did really bad on 2nd day at Spanish Bay.  But as it turned out, it was bad for everyone.   With +6 two day score, I came in 2nd place.   The high winner score (+3) can be explained by Spanish Bay which was exceptionally difficult on the tournament day.   Greens were very fast and pin positions were just brutal.  Everyone seems to be doing 3 or 4 putts on green.   When looking at my score card, I four putted twice which never happened before (since I started keeping stat).    Needless to say, I am very encouraged by the result.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

This weekend, I finished 2nd place on my 1st ever tournament.   It was a two day 90% handicap event at Del Monte, and Spanish Bay, courses I never played before.   I established an official handicap a few months ago, all of my scores coming from the current home course which plays 2 - 3 strokes harder than its rating.  So, I liked my chances and did well at Del Monte on day 1.  I did really bad on 2nd day at Spanish Bay.  But as it turned out, it was bad for everyone.   With +6 two day score, I came in 2nd place.   The high winner score (+3) can be explained by Spanish Bay which was exceptionally difficult on the tournament day.   Greens were very fast and pin positions were just brutal.  Everyone seems to be doing 3 or 4 putts on green.   When looking at my score card, I four putted twice which never happened before (since I started keeping stat).    Needless to say, I am very encouraged by the result.

Congrats!

As an aside, my sob story is the fact that you and @Lihu are still golfing and I can't.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Good news. Now start a 8 to 22 handicap thread so we can still huddle together for insight and help.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Congrats!!   Keep it up and you won't belong in the thread you started!!  LOL

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

• 2 weeks later...
Already going crazy. Winter sucks.

Agreed. I'm trying to live vicariously through the SoCal guys here. Actually, I'm going through a major swing overhaul and it's probably to my benefit that I can't play at all. I can seriously devote myself to the new movements without worrying about what the ball is doing.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!