IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

94 Today..... 10 bogies.  3 pars and 5 holes I wish I had back

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well gentlemen, this is a hard time for me. I've been playing in the high 80's for the last three rounds and a couple of rounds in the past this season. My bad scores are in the low 90's and they are usually due to a few mental lapses. I found that I was too concerned about my score and not thinking about the next shot and how much fun golf can be (even if I am playing poor). I'm not bragging. I'm sure I still have a lot of counting on my toes still but just wanted to share this with this group, in case there's some other folks reading this thread and are frustrated about their games/lack of progress. Just remember why you first fell in love with the game and play to your strengths. 

Peace 

At a new course this year and have mostly been posting low 90's but have 2 nice rounds in the 80's.

Had an 85 earlier this year and threw down a nice 86 yesterday.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

My goal is to consistently play in the mid-80's, but perhaps this isn't a realistic goal. I'm perhaps too old, too slow, too fat, and while I was once a good athlete, that was long ago. Or I'm too hard on myself. It's hard to know. I'm breaking a hundred now, and usually throw up three or four good holes in a row, even a few pars and the occasional birdie. Then, a snowman. My main problem is focus.

What keeps me going is what someone said in another thread: "There is nothing more beautiful than a well struck iron."

Wayne

I haven't posted a lot here lately but felt the need to........because............I finally broke 90!!!

I shot an 87 (43-44) at Lido Golf Club on Long Island. Played from the whites (6,126 yds-70.4 121)

8 Pars, 5 bogeys, 5 doubles

5 GIRs (ALL on the front nine, one i three putted 😞 ), 4 up and down pars, 34 putts, 1 penalty stroke (unplayble lie from a bush)

I have NEVER played this course before, but unlike my usual NYC munis, they actually have a range to warm up on which was a big help. At the end of the day, this really was really a tale of two nines. The front nine is slightly shorter and I was hitting driver straight and 220-230 in the fairway (which is solid for me...not so much for the rest of this board) irons were solid and I hit 5 out of the first 7 greens in regulation. Was a little pissed cuz I three putted one of them and couldn't convert any birdies (had a few in the 10-15 foot range). The back nine is a little longer, a little tougher and my driver was NOT helping me. The only fairway I hit on the back was the fairway of number one after teeing off on ten. I had to hit a lot of hybrid second shots but thankfully by short game came alive. After warming up I decided to go with my 52* over my 58* more than usual and this strategy was key. Some holes that would have been my normal bogey turned into tap in pars. Some holes that could've been blowup holes turned into bogies. Reviews of this course claim the last 5 holes are on of the toughest stretches on Long Island but I went bogey-par-par-double-bogey. The par on 16 was especially satisfying because it is a crazy ISLAND FAIRWAY that is detailed in this article: http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2011/08/closer-look-lido-golf-club-16.html

Overall, Im satisfied that I broke 90 and looking forward to having less pressure on me when I'm in that low 90's-high 80's zone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

i dont know if anyone has asked this general question or a thread has been started about it...    

But at what total course distance do you notice your scores starting to suffer?    

6200+ ?

6500+ ?

i'd say for me it's over 6500 yards....  

It is what it is

So played 9 holes today and well lol..... swear it felt like i was doing everything wrong.... 

so after the round i went to the driving range right down the road from the course and i start with my PW and i notice i'm hitting it a good 10-15 yards past what i normally do....  i switch to my 9iron and same thing....   8 iron i was hitting right on 150....  and 7 iron was about 160-165...     

and i'm not even going to lie, i literally started giggling to myself cuz i am like where the heck was this 2 hours ago lol......     

this game is so fickle that it's stuff like this that keeps me coming back for more...

It is what it is

21 hours ago, David L Yskes said:

i dont know if anyone has asked this general question or a thread has been started about it...    

6200+ ?

6500+ ?

All distances are challenging. You’re putting a tiny ball into a tiny hole from 300+ yards away in 4 shots give or take. It’s all challenging... :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 6/14/2018 at 12:09 AM, David L Yskes said:

6200+ ?

6500+ ?

I only hit driver 230. 63/64 hundo is where I start to go downhill. A course by me, Hudson Hills is such a nice course but it's annoying that the tee boxes go from near 6400 down to 5700. I feel like a wimp doing anything less than 6000 but 6400 is too much. So picky, ain't I?

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

On 6/13/2018 at 11:09 PM, David L Yskes said:

6200+ ?

6500+ ?

I think that would be course dependent. I have played 6600 yard courses where I can play to my cap fairly regularly  because they have little to no forced carries, angles off the tee aren’t too challenging, and missing the fairway doesn’t penalize too bad. Another course I play is about 6500 yards but many forced carries, tough angles, and high high rough make that distance play much much harder. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 7:42 PM, HJJ003 said:

I think that would be course dependent. I have played 6600 yard courses where I can play to my cap fairly regularly  because they have little to no forced carries, angles off the tee aren’t too challenging, and missing the fairway doesn’t penalize too bad. Another course I play is about 6500 yards but many forced carries, tough angles, and high high rough make that distance play much much harder. 

Right, i totally understand that, i have a local course that from the tips is a bit over 6500.... i played it two years ago with my dad from the next tee's up @ 6100 yds, i left the course going WTF lol this place is tough...  yet a few years before that the local college course i use to play on was just under 7000 from the tips and even on the next tee's it was just under 6400 yds.... and this course seemed to play a hell of a lot easier.....

It is what it is

After my usual horrific start to the season, I've finally been able to get it together a little bit in the last month.  On the last revision I dropped back under 20 after a couple of really decent rounds in the early part of the month.

Now if I could only hit more than 4 fairways per round, we'd really be talking.

• 1 month later...

I am currently in my second season of this maddening game.  Got addicted last June after taking my first lessons, and haven't stopped playing since then.  I started out shooting in the 120's, broke 100 in September, and was breaking 100 pretty regularly by the end of last year.  Started this year at 29.1, and am currently at 21.2 (trending to 20.9).  Yesterday was so close!  5 pars, 5 doubles, and 8 bogies - for an even 90.  If I could have saved just ONE stroke somewhere, I would have done it!  My driving was awful (31%), which led to only 2 GIR, but my chipping and putting (31 putts) helped to make up for that.  I had a nice streak with my driver about a week or two ago where I was averaging about 75% of fairways hit.  I went from fighting a slice, to a slight draw, to now hitting hooks and dead pulls.  Need to spend some time at the range this week and see if I can figure that out before I head out of town on Friday for another golf weekend.  Hoping to put down some good scores next weekend and get my HC below 20 - wish me luck!

12 minutes ago, ChevDog said:

I am currently in my second season of this maddening game.  Got addicted last June after taking my first lessons, and haven't stopped playing since then.  I started out shooting in the 120's, broke 100 in September, and was breaking 100 pretty regularly by the end of last year.  Started this year at 29.1, and am currently at 21.2 (trending to 20.9).  Yesterday was so close!  5 pars, 5 doubles, and 8 bogies - for an even 90.  If I could have saved just ONE stroke somewhere, I would have done it!  My driving was awful (31%), which led to only 2 GIR, but my chipping and putting (31 putts) helped to make up for that.  I had a nice streak with my driver about a week or two ago where I was averaging about 75% of fairways hit.  I went from fighting a slice, to a slight draw, to now hitting hooks and dead pulls.  Need to spend some time at the range this week and see if I can figure that out before I head out of town on Friday for another golf weekend.  Hoping to put down some good scores next weekend and get my HC below 20 - wish me luck!

Good Luck Sir. My goal is to also be under 20 in the near future. Im a 22 right now but trending to 21.3. Lets both go get into the 'teens!

Edited by HJJ003

I'm a 18.6 cap from the gold Tees and brand new here at TST. I'm retired, and 65. I use to do a lot of under water photography but last year the Dr said no more so I restared golfing about a year ago after 30+ years of not playing.   I get 2-3 9 hole rounds a week plus usually 2+ hrs of practice. A good drive is 200+ and my avg is 185.

Up until yesterday I was chasing the straight T shot and then I learned exactly how rare it is. So yesterday I decided I was just going to embrace my fade. No frustration, 8 of 9 FIR and a 43 without a penalty or lost ball. I think that That one simple thought change is really going to impact my enjoyment of this game.

I have been trending in the mid 90’s for some time. I finally had. Break through last Sunday and shot an 84. Great feeling but until I play again and shoot sub 90 it may be just an outlier. I started using a 7 iron off the green to chip and it has made putts that much closer than when I would use a pw. Dialed in my driver also to make a more desired flight and distance. I have also adopted a steady back swing and follow through. Time will tell. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Note: This thread is 1016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!